Recently Viewing

Gave up Room 237. Might as well look for Nazi symbolism in "Mean Girls". Feel like it would make just as much sense.

I'd be pissed if I paid $10 for this. At least it was just a wasted half hour on netflix (I should have spent on Doctor Who).

See, now I fucking loved this movie. 

I thought the critical analysis of the film was just incredible. It is completely irrelevant whether or not Kubrick made the movie with putting any of those messages in there. Honestly, the one about the lunar landing and room 237 blew my mind, as well as the whole interpretation with the Native Americans. I am a total nut for literary analysis stuff though, so this movie was right up my alley.

Watched IT and My Son My Son What Have Ye Done?

MSMSWHYD? is directed by Warner Herzog, produced by David Lynch and stars Michael Shannon, Willem Defoe, and Chloe Sevigny.  It's as weird and awesome as you would think it would be!

As much as I liked My Son, I was a little let down because those credentials are fucking BANANAS.

Finally watched All the Boys Love Mandy Lane. I wasn't crazy about it but it wasn't terrible. If it had actually been released in 2006 I probably would have seen it then and liked it a lot more. I feel like it could have done/said more than it actually did.

While it's not TOO similar to You're Next, it was similar enough and YN is too fresh in mind. What I'm really trying to say is You're Next fucking owns.

As much as I liked My Son, I was a little let down because those credentials are fucking BANANAS.

Finally watched All the Boys Love Mandy Lane. I wasn't crazy about it but it wasn't terrible. If it had actually been released in 2006 I probably would have seen it then and liked it a lot more. I feel like it could have done/said more than it actually did.

While it's not TOO similar to You're Next, it was similar enough and YN is too fresh in mind. What I'm really trying to say is You're Next fucking owns.

I'm pretty sure everyone would have those same exact thoughts about My Son, lol.

I loved All The Boys Love Mandy Lane and I also agree that You're Next fucking owns.  One of the best horror films this year.

Recently watched Fright Night 2 and was kind of surprised I enjoyed it. I thought I was going to hate it based on the trailer and the fact that the 2011 remake was absolutely awful.

After watchingI felt like this version was a more successful "remake" of the original than the 2011 movie and with the exception of a female antagonist didn't have much to do with the original FN2 at all.

I think the reason this film was more successful was because there were so many references to the original. I feel it was made by fans of the original movie who knew how badly the 2011 version fucked up. What really stood out were the little things like "Evil" Ed's teeth being similar to the turned Ed in the OG and Amy's white dress outfit at the end being a call back to the original. There were also a few line's of dialog from the original they threw in for good measure.

Guest Justin Maheiny

Streaming on Netflix right now is the ABCs of Death. Short films for each letter of the alphabet which go by quick. Most are enjoyable but I think it's worth watching for the letter L alone. Pretty brutal.

Beyond the Black Rainbow is really good too and is streaming on Netflix. Lynchian & Altered States 80s throwback from a couple years ago that's pretty cool.

Guest Justin Maheiny

saw the trailer for that one before "take shelter" i think... looked crazy.

It's good. Pretty intense. Some pretty serious uncomfortable builds in it.

I like Michael Shannon a lot. He's got a new one coming out called The Iceman that's based on a true story about some mob hit man that kills a shitload of people. Looks pretty good.

saw the trailer for that one before "take shelter" i think... looked crazy.

You gotta see it man.  I'd love to hear what you think!

I like Michael Shannon a lot. He's got a new one coming out called The Iceman that's based on a true story about some mob hit man that kills a shitload of people. Looks pretty good.

It's been out for a while actually.  I got the DVD last month.  It really is good.  I love anything Michael Shannon does.

Watched "The Skin I Live In" for the second time tonight.  What an amazing film.  Seriously, more people need to know about this!

I really dug that movie, I second the recommendation.

I spend my three days off staying home, so I blew through some movies this week.

The Conjuring, Monsters University, The Innkeepers, Pontypool and The House of the Devil.

I think I'm going to have a pretty slow night at work too, so I'll probably watch something tonight as well.

I really dug that movie, I second the recommendation.

I spend my three days off staying home, so I blew through some movies this week.

The Conjuring, Monsters University, The Innkeepers, Pontypool and The House of the Devil.

I think I'm going to have a pretty slow night at work too, so I'll probably watch something tonight as well.

Some fucking AWESOME stuff there man.  I've heard great things about Pontypool.  I keep forgetting about it so I need to finally check that out.

Some fucking AWESOME stuff there man.  I've heard great things about Pontypool.  I keep forgetting about it so I need to finally check that out.

I enjoyed it overall.  I have a few nitpicks that I can't go into without giving things away, but I thought it was worth the time it took to watch it.  I really liked how the story is presented and progresses, it's almost entirely through dialogue, which I thought was fairly unique (at least for a horror film).

Guest Justin Maheiny

lol that looks funny.

At first I thought it was going to be a Blackfish type documentary about how fucked up Disneyland is like how they pay off people who are hurt there so they don't report it to the media, if you dial 911 from one of their phones they redirect you to their park security or how you can get thrown in Disneyland jail if you get busted for fighting/whatever.

I had a rough childhood.

I kind of forgot about Escape from Tomorrow, glad this thread was here to remind me of it.  Just watched it and it was an interesting film.  It's a little rough, but considering how it was made, I think that can be overlooked. It's dark and surreal. The juxtaposition of it reminded me of Blue Velvet a bit. As a whole, I dug it. 

The Wikipedia article is worth reading afterward.

Streaming on Netflix right now is the ABCs of Death. Short films for each letter of the alphabet which go by quick. Most are enjoyable but I think it's worth watching for the letter L alone. Pretty brutal.

Beyond the Black Rainbow is really good too and is streaming on Netflix. Lynchian & Altered States 80s throwback from a couple years ago that's pretty cool.

I get that they want to be more original than "A is for axe" and "B is for bodies" etc... but some of them were really too abstract (maybe that's not the right word but not sure what else to use) for my taste. I was hoping for a little more Tales From the Crypt type stories wrapped up into a couple minutes than art school projects.