That is really cool

Yeah he's really excited about it. He's not in the show at all, but he designed everything for the one house. The series is showcasing the rebuilding of the Jersey shore after Sandy and they are working with 3 houses, one of which is in my town. It's kinda weird to watch but I'm glad they're doing it.

For the last few weeks I've been working on trying to find out why my car isn't passing emissions. Good news is, I think I found the problem. Bad news is, I think the catalytic converters need to be replaced. There's a slim chance that they just need a cleaning to clean off all the carbon deposits inside, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

:/ 

For the last few weeks I've been working on trying to find out why my car isn't passing emissions. Good news is, I think I found the problem. Bad news is, I think the catalytic converters need to be replaced. There's a slim chance that they just need a cleaning to clean off all the carbon deposits inside, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

Dude! I did this a couple months ago. I cleaned the cat, replaced spark plugs, new O2 sensor, new air filter, new fuel filter, new oil change and filter, new PCV valve, made sure all the hoses were good, cleaned the EGR system, made sure the EGR pump worked, made sure the EGR solenoid worked, turns out it was the EGR BPT VALVE. 

What car are you running? Mines was a 1995 200sx se.

Dude! I did this a couple months ago. I cleaned the cat, replaced spark plugs, new O2 sensor, new air filter, new fuel filter, new oil change and filter, new PCV valve, made sure all the hoses were good, cleaned the EGR system, made sure the EGR pump worked, made sure the EGR solenoid worked, turns out it was the EGR BPT VALVE. 

What car are you running? Mines was a 1995 200sx se.

It's a '93 BMW 325is. the only thing it failed on the emissions test was the idle test. The HC level is too high so I cleaned the mass airflow sensor, ran a tank of Guaranteed To Pass, and took it back in. It failed again. The deviation on the first test was 117 and the second test after the GTP was 116, so it didn't do much.

So far I've checked the spark plugs and ignition coils. There was a bit of oil in some of the spark plug wells, so I replaced the valve cover gasket. The ignition coils were within the voltage range that they should be in, and the spark plugs still look new and the gaps are where they should be at. I've also cleaned the contacts on most of the sensors in the car. 

I put the car on jack stands tonight to take a look at the exhaust system. I ran the car for a few minutes to let it warm up and measured the temperature. It was around 350 degrees before the cat and the temperature dropped to about 125 in the cat and around 100 on the pipes after the cat. If everything was functioning as it should, the pipes should have been hotter in the cat and after it, so it makes me think either the cats are bad, or (hopefully) they're just plugged up. I didn't hear any rattling, so that's a good sign. 

How did you clean your catalytic converter?

EDIT: Post #666! 

SATAN.

I had to replace one on my car a few years ago.  It was pricey.  I hope you don't have to replace it.

I hate e-check. In Ohio there are only 6 counties that do it, and mine is one. It's such a hassle to get get it done, since there is only one bay out of 8 open and the line is usually long. I have to get mine done by February to get my tags.

• Shitty Rambo changed the title to Small Talk Revival Thread
  • jhulud locked this topic