Anyone have good advice on an affordable, liberal area (preferably one with record stores)? Between 3 shootings this year by crazy conservative christians, a lack of work due to poor timing on my part for reentering the work force, extra competitive job market due to an abundance or retired military and bored military wives, being secluded from just about everyone (I live 30 min from town, it's a huge drain on my gas and constant maintenance is also not helping my wallet, so visiting friends is even costly, at least gas is coming down), and having very few friends due to a divorce from a controlling and abusive person I really can't stand this place. The few friends I have here have very little free time and just about everyone else I got along with either moved away or things got stormy for some stupid reason. So I mostly sit in my room, being supported by my parents at 30, with just a diploma, no money, being too crazy to be easily hirable but not crazy enough for disability and I've just about dried up the records I want to unload. But the only reason I'm so attached is I have nothing else, I impulsively buy them to fill the sadness that little else can fill. I have spending issues and they link directly to my mental disorder, therapy is having some effect, but not enough, the meds aren't working, my support system outside of therapy is basically not existent. I'm really leaning towards moving in January, I will probably end up selling 80% of my collection to fund it (some have too much sentimental value and I hate selling gifts) I just know that I won't make it another year, I'm too much of a coward to off myself but everything just seems progressively more hopeless and it's more tempting with each passing day, it's just setback after setback, I can't catch a break in this town. I'm tired of feeling without purpose, I wish I could just go back to working at a record store (the only time in my life I've ever felt I excelled at anything and felt like I had a purpose) but the only one that does full time took advantage of me and treated me like shit until I quit during 2 stints, I can't take the abuse and the feeling of being taken advantage of. Would love to start my own, but I have no capitol, little stock I could use, no business degree and shit credit so a loan is out of the question and no willing investors. I don't feel like I have the emotional stability to step out of my comfort zone and into a new field at this time, but I am running out of comfortable financial options. I'm lost, I'm tired of being so depressed, and my vacation was the only time I felt alive in the last 3 years. I just wish I had a direction, a plan, better networking, a feeling of being self sufficient, anything but this. I'm sorry to dump on you guys I just don't know who else to talk to, I don't have much emotional support and I feel like a burden to most people in my life. But I respect your opinions, so many of you have dealt/are dealing with similar emotional issues and I'm just tired of crying alone in my room, hoping something is just going to fall into my lap

I assume that means you have to pass on the beatles records from me?

Yeah, I'm sorry. I need to get a computer first. Still open to flattening a few for you though, but like I said, I'd recommend letting me do just one first so you can see the results because some times it fucks things up. I got one back that had awful surface noise that made it listenable. 

Yeah, I'm sorry. I need to get a computer first. Still open to flattening a few for you though, but like I said, I'd recommend letting me do just one first so you can see the results because some times it fucks things up. I got one back that had awful surface noise that made it listenable. 

Understandable. And yeah, flattening records can do that if the groove was damaged at all.

Anyone have good advice on an affordable, liberal area (preferably one with record stores)? Between 3 shootings this year by crazy conservative christians, a lack of work due to poor timing on my part for reentering the work force, extra competitive job market due to an abundance or retired military and bored military wives, being secluded from just about everyone (I live 30 min from town, it's a huge drain on my gas and constant maintenance is also not helping my wallet, so visiting friends is even costly, at least gas is coming down), and having very few friends due to a divorce from a controlling and abusive person I really can't stand this place. The few friends I have here have very little free time and just about everyone else I got along with either moved away or things got stormy for some stupid reason. So I mostly sit in my room, being supported by my parents at 30, with just a diploma, no money, being too crazy to be easily hirable but not crazy enough for disability and I've just about dried up the records I want to unload. But the only reason I'm so attached is I have nothing else, I impulsively buy them to fill the sadness that little else can fill. I have spending issues and they link directly to my mental disorder, therapy is having some effect, but not enough, the meds aren't working, my support system outside of therapy is basically not existent. I'm really leaning towards moving in January, I will probably end up selling 80% of my collection to fund it (some have too much sentimental value and I hate selling gifts) I just know that I won't make it another year, I'm too much of a coward to off myself but everything just seems progressively more hopeless and it's more tempting with each passing day, it's just setback after setback, I can't catch a break in this town. I'm tired of feeling without purpose, I wish I could just go back to working at a record store (the only time in my life I've ever felt I excelled at anything and felt like I had a purpose) but the only one that does full time took advantage of me and treated me like shit until I quit during 2 stints, I can't take the abuse and the feeling of being taken advantage of. Would love to start my own, but I have no capitol, little stock I could use, no business degree and shit credit so a loan is out of the question and no willing investors. I don't feel like I have the emotional stability to step out of my comfort zone and into a new field at this time, but I am running out of comfortable financial options. I'm lost, I'm tired of being so depressed, and my vacation was the only time I felt alive in the last 3 years. I just wish I had a direction, a plan, better networking, a feeling of being self sufficient, anything but this. I'm sorry to dump on you guys I just don't know who else to talk to, I don't have much emotional support and I feel like a burden to most people in my life. But I respect your opinions, so many of you have dealt/are dealing with similar emotional issues and I'm just tired of crying alone in my room, hoping something is just going to fall into my lap

I hope things get better for you Kev <3

Portland isn't cheap, but it is liberal and there's a bunch of cool guys living up there. Or you can come out here, even though we aren't really liberal. But you can get some fairly cheap housing depending on the part of town.

I fucking hate Sky Harbor. Every other major airport I've been to has something to do, but Sky Harbor is just boring. And it's a pain to navigate.

I've been to places that are far worse. It is kind of annoying how the gates are spread out, but it's not uncommon. I'm usually only here for an hour or less anyway.

I've been to places that are far worse. It is kind of annoying how the gates are spread out, but it's not uncommon. I'm usually only here for an hour or less anyway.

San Francisco had a Chili's so I got fajitas and ate a metric fuckton of bottomless chips and salsa.

Minor TMI?

Only problem was I had to take a massive piss midflight from all the soda I drank sitting there for like 90min and it was a bouncy flight.  :wacko: 

Want a boring airport, fly through Akron-Canton. It is tiny, has like 9-10 terminals and the only food is an Arbys really. It's awesome to fly out of though, since there is no line at security and it's easy to find stuff.

I hope things get better for you Kev <3

Portland isn't cheap, but it is liberal and there's a bunch of cool guys living up there. Or you can come out here, even though we aren't really liberal. But you can get some fairly cheap housing depending on the part of town.

thanks rez <3, definitely considering the northwest, I do have some other arizona connections as well. Things to ponder, I'm not going to relocate before Christmas, so ill have to research and put my feelers out

thanks rez <3, definitely considering the northwest, I do have some other arizona connections as well. Things to ponder, I'm not going to relocate before Christmas, so ill have to research and put my feelers out

I can't help much because I don't really know anyone who could help get you a job, but we're a big city so I'd imagine there's stuff out here. I can show you the record stores and restaurants out here. 

+ SLC has REALLY good record shops, is more laid back than you think, and is dirt cheap. Probably my favorite state, but mostly because I had a badass roommate, and only left my room to go record hunting.

+ RVA is the same way, but even more laid back.

+ SEA is cool for a lot of people. Wasn't my thing, but it could be yours.

+ PDX is a cheaper (but not the cheapest).

Honestly, just pick a state with a good vibe, and views that line up with yours, then pick the second largest city if it has a huge capital (so it's cheaper). I would do some traveling to a few cities, new cities, and explore. See what they're like, and what grabs your attention. I toured ofr like 8 years, so I was lucky enough to experience a lot of places. I've lived in like 6 states too. Find the polar opposite of where you are now, somewhere progressive, yet cheap, move, and be happy. The only hard part is when you move somewhere new, the problems you face in life are that much harder since you're down family / friends. Other than that, I've enjoyed it.

There are articles out there about the best cities to live in, filter by your age, and interests, and plan a road trip.

+ SLC has REALLY good record shops, is more laid back than you think, and is dirt cheap. Probably my favorite state, but mostly because I had a badass roommate, and only left my room to go record hunting.

+ RVA is the same way, but even more laid back.

+ SEA is cool for a lot of people. Wasn't my thing, but it could be yours.

+ PDX is a cheaper (but not the cheapest).

Honestly, just pick a state with a good vibe, and views that line up with yours, then pick the second largest city if it has a huge capital (so it's cheaper). I would do some traveling to a few cities, new cities, and explore. See what they're like, and what grabs your attention. I toured ofr like 8 years, so I was lucky enough to experience a lot of places. I've lived in like 6 states too. Find the polar opposite of where you are now, somewhere progressive, yet cheap, move, and be happy. The only hard part is when you move somewhere new, the problems you face in life are that much harder since you're down family / friends. Other than that, I've enjoyed it.

There are articles out there about the best cities to live in, filter by your age, and interests, and plan a road trip.

Thanks Matt I appreciate the advice, I may have to go a little more all in. Funds are dire, and liquidation of assets will afford a move but not a trip and a move

Today suxxxxxx. Forgot a couple things at home, forgot a couple things my daughter needs at daycare (so now Jen had to leave work to take them to her), listed Dustin Kensrue tickets for a reasonable price and they sold immediately... right before I realized they're will call.

This is what happens when you have an amazing weekend. Remember that, kids. Never have a good time.

damn dude. hoping you pull through.

Kevin! I'm a bad resource. Pittsburgh is pretty mediocre. The people are obnoxious, but if you pretend you're from around here, you'll be treated like part of the family. I find the liberal/conservative split to be a mix based on people I know.

Thanks guys I'm up for considering whatever at this point, I've gotta figure something out, I'd like to be happy I just don't feel like it's at my present location

• Shitty Rambo changed the title to Small Talk Revival Thread
  • jhulud locked this topic