YOU DONT EVEN DRIVE

My great great grandfather started a business that now primarily drills oil. Smallish family company in Michigan. Anyway, 90% of our income comes from stock we have inherited/been given in the company. While I totally don't think it should be $4 or more a gallon like it was for a while where people were having trouble filling their cars, sub $2 and dropping makes me a bit uneasy.

My great great grandfather started a business that now primarily drills oil. Smallish family company in Michigan. Anyway, 90% of our income comes from stock we have inherited/been given in the company. While I totally don't think it should be $4 or more a gallon like it was for a while where people were having trouble filling their cars, sub $2 and dropping makes me a bit uneasy.

Your trust fund will not really be affected by cheap gas.

Affordable gas is a good thing. Poor people need it to get to their jobs that don't pay a living wage.

Your trust fund will not really be affected by cheap gas.

Not a trust fund, and I'm not worried about my inheritance or anything, just that they said we need to seriously prepare for dropping checks and those pay our bills. It isn't any kind of crazy money either like when you think when you hear "stock in oil", it's just something we depend on.

cheap gas is due to natural gas being successful in the US and saudi arabia dropping prices to compete, the problem is that country has a huge welfare system that they use to keep the poor complacent, if gas prices keep dropping I dunno how they will keep up the welfare system and it will be total chaos if that falls apart

cheap gas is due to natural gas being successful in the US and saudi arabia dropping prices to compete, the problem is that country has a huge welfare system that they use to keep the poor complacent, if gas prices keep dropping I dunno how they will keep up the welfare system and it will be total chaos if that falls apart

I don't know anything about the politics of it, just something that worries me because of the stated above.

Affordable gas is a good thing. Poor people need it to get to their jobs that don't pay a living wage.

Out of curiosity, what do you think the solution to the minimum wage issue is? Just curious because I haven't heard many, but as best as I can figure I seems like raising it to 15/hr or whatever it was they were talking about would just cause inflation and companies to cut jobs.

I like cheap gas. Filling my car up for 20 makes me happy

Like I said, it was a selfish thought, I just like to keep my house and power. Not that it's anywhere that bad yet, it's just half asleep Rez over thinking things and making a bigger deal of things than he needs to. I tend to do that when I'm tired.

Out of curiosity, what do you think the solution to the minimum wage issue is? Just curious because I haven't heard many, but as best as I can figure I seems like raising it to 15/hr or whatever it was they were talking about would just cause inflation and companies to cut jobs.

It would cause inflation of pennies, but companies are greedy and wants larger profit margins, so they'd adjust prices without that in mind. The main issue is that minimum wage has not been adjusted at the rate of inflation in years, hence the current problem.

15/hr would be terrible. I get why they want to do it, but places like McDonald's won't pay that. They're just get the automated screens.

Like I said, it was a selfish thought, I just like to keep my house and power. Not that it's anywhere that bad yet, it's just half asleep Rez over thinking things and making a bigger deal of things than he needs to. I tend to do that when I'm tired.

If I was getting money from Oil I'd probably be pissed too haha

It would cause inflation of pennies, but companies are greedy and wants larger profit margins, so they'd adjust prices without that in mind. The main issue is that minimum wage has not been adjusted at the rate of inflation in years, hence the current problem.

I think it'd do more than pennies because say it gets raised to 12 from I don't know what it is now, 8? Then everyone making 12 wants a raise too because they just got demoted to minimum wage. Then they get raised to 17, and anyone making 17 gets... and that cycles. At least that's what sounds the most logical to me. I'm all for living wages, I just don't know how to make it happen. If that cycle I outlined happened then theoretically the inflation would even out the increase in pay.

15/hr would be terrible. I get why they want to do it, but places like McDonald's won't pay that. They're just get the automated screens.

If I was getting money from Oil I'd probably be pissed too haha

I'm not really pissed, just a little worried. I don't have to live large like we did for a few years when my dad had a great job and oil was crazy high because then I feel shitty about making a ton off of people scraping by to pay for gas but not ending up in the other end of the situation would be nice too. Nothing I can do about it, we'll just have to see what happens. In the grand scheme of the world there are more important and immediate issues to address anyhow.

go back to pre-reagan tax brackets, when you raise minimum wage spending power of the poor just goes up. Trickle down economics does not work

I'm no economic expert but from what I've heard they seem to sound the most logical. I'm totally up to hearing other opinions and ideas if we can have a civilized discussion though.

• Shitty Rambo changed the title to Small Talk Revival Thread
  • jhulud locked this topic