Hey Matt, let me get into that super knowledged head of yours for a minute...

From a quality perspective

Which is best?
1) Making the music louder in my music player?
2) Raising the volume at the operating system level (for instance, clicking the speaker and turning the volume up)?
3) Turning the volume up on the amplifier or speakers that are attached to my computer?

Does program vs. OS matter? Does software vs. hardware matter?

Hey T3, just got shipping confirmation on that new Owen 7".

Same. Was just thinking about it earlier, when looking at my 7" collection, since I don't think it had a ship date up.

Hey Matt, let me get into that super knowledged head of yours for a minute...

From a quality perspective

Which is best?

1) Making the music louder in my music player?

2) Raising the volume at the operating system level (for instance, clicking the speaker and turning the volume up)?

3) Turning the volume up on the amplifier or speakers that are attached to my computer?

Does program vs. OS matter? Does software vs. hardware matter?

Short answer, none are good. The last option is ok. But if you're going to listen to digital music I suggest headphones. Channel all that goodness into your ears. But that's just personal preference. (Hi Res File > Comp. > DAC > Amp > Headphones). Once you get your set up you'll hear why headphones are better than speakers for that. But again, personal preference.

What your really asking is "is my sound card worth a damn". Most are unfortunately not.

This is why running a DAC and amp is your best option. You can increase sound level without sacrificing clarity. When you're using built in sound cards you can make the volume louder, but you'll sacrifice clarity. Doesn't matter where you're increasing the volume (software, OS, etc.) cause it's still being ran through that sound card.

So basically you can either replace your sound card in your PC, or get the DAC. I suggest the latter.

• Shitty Rambo changed the title to Small Talk Revival Thread
  • jhulud locked this topic