I don't doubt the financial element of SS - my question is whether it will exist as a program period. I never said it will be bankrupt but this country is shitty about social security. We call it an "entitlement" when we pay into it. With the politics surrounding the program it is not something I am at all counting towards saving for retirement. It would be nice since my wife and I would both qualify and combined with how we save it means we could retire at some point. I simply don't imagine a future with it considering the politics surrounding it. 

my boss ALWAYS has a rush. and it's usually because it sat on his desk and forgot to do it for weeks, then gets an angry phone call and i have to drop whatever i'm doing to get something overnighted for him. usually at some time after 4pm.

You just described every single day of my existence at this job.

I'm stupid about this type of finance stuff, too.  I'm offered profit sharing which is nice, and the only thing I know about my 401K is that my boss matches up to 4%.

The answer is you should be maxing out contributions to the matching program. It is basically free money if you are in a position to be making 401k contributions.

My wife's work matches her 3% contribution with 8%. Is that not crazy? I cut back my contribution and let her more or less max out our tax benefit. 

The answer is you should be maxing out contributions to the matching program. It is basically free money if you are in a position to be making 401k contributions.

My wife's work matches her 3% contribution with 8%. Is that not crazy? I cut back my contribution and let her more or less max out our tax benefit. 

That's kind of amazing.  I am maxing out, I'm doing 4% so I get 4% from him.

I live in a small town.

My wife and I decided to hit up our local diner. It's been open for a couple years, we just haven't checked it out yet.

We went in and sat at the bar to order take out and take in the scenery. It was about 2:30pm on a weekday.

A woman and husband (retired age) came and sat down near us. The woman ordered a "Coors Lite, but in a thin rimmed glass please."

The bartender proceeded to hand her a bottle of Coors Lite with a wine glass on the side.

That convinced me to frequent this place.

The burger was ok too.

I only started my 401k 5 years back and it's starting to add up. My company does a partial match.  So I have my deduction set at 4% and the company adds an extra 1 percent.  Wish that was higher but its extra money.

They do have a profit sharing program that is a retirement fund and each year that ends up being a little more than 2 grand. 

I've been doing research into how much I need to be saving and it looks like I"m in a pretty good place.  They say that at age 30 you should have at least 1 years wage set aside in your retirement.  I should probably start upping my 401k contribution a couple of percent because it's not like I'd notice a couple extra percent.

my camera fund is stagnant. i think i mentioned to Ash that i was saving up for a camera.

every time i do, i have f'n medical bills from nowhere. thanks to don, he bought a few to keep me going. man, all i want is a decent DSLR (canon)

im missing out on my childs childhood!! (picture wise)

• Shitty Rambo changed the title to Small Talk Revival Thread
  • jhulud locked this topic