i have the option to pay off my credit card bill right now. my payments arent too bad and the remainder balance isnt too high. but id like to keep my savings up since i got a nice return back.

so torn. since my house is old i have to have money at all times in case something goes out or falls apart. sigh.

right now i am not actively saving for retirement and i feel like an idiot for that, but at the same time i need every cent of my paycheck, 40 hours a week or bust, to meet my financial obligations. and it's worse than last year because they started taking out more for medical a couple weeks ago.

present steph cares nothing for future steph. it's always been that way, for everything.

My savings account is perpetually empty, but saving for retirement is definitely something I need to take seriously.

My parents are stupid with money.  Really, really fucking stupid.  They "retired" ten years ago with less than $100,000 in their "retirement fund".  Now they blew threw all of that.  They've been working at a Walmart for the past 5 years or so but now they are selling their house and are moving down here.  The plan is to have my 80 year old dad continue to work while my 60 year old mother doesn't.  The upside is they might end up making 2-3 grand on the sale of their house so I guess that is something.

So seeing them be fucking stupid I never want to be in that situation.  Retirement is now something that I definitely need to plan for.

I see no reason to save money. I have some money in savings but I live by the if I died tomorrow all that money I saved would be pointless.

So I spend and enjoy it while I can.

This. I have a 401k, but no real "savings" account.

With student loans and bills and etc, any money I have left over is to be enjoyed while I'm young enough to enjoy it.

On the topic of savings. 

Here is a fun fact about me: I have a compulsion to never spend coins and religiously put them in a jar. When that jar is full I roll them. I have done this for approximately 7 years running now. I have over $2200 in rolled coins and another jar almost full. This jar holds anywhere from 700-900 in coins. I'm obsessive enough that I have extra jars at my office just in case I have meetings and don't want to have coins jangling. Last year I rolled my office jar and it had $170 in it. No idea how it got so high but who cares. I have a pocket in my winter coat that is dedicated to coins. It's definitely become a bit obsessive compulsive. My wife asked me not long ago what I want to do with the coins and I told her let them accumulate. I don't want to spend them. I don't want them in a bank. I can't even lift the crate any longer. I just want to have a shit ton of coins and one day I figure I'll be old and go buy a new car or something. Or I'll leave them for my kid. Or I'll bury them somewhere and create a treasure map. I don't know, I just don't want to spend them. 

On the topic of savings. 

Here is a fun fact about me: I have a compulsion to never spend coins and religiously put them in a jar. When that jar is full I roll them. I have done this for approximately 7 years running now. I have over $2200 in rolled coins and another jar almost full. This jar holds anywhere from 700-900 in coins. I'm obsessive enough that I have extra jars at my office just in case I have meetings and don't want to have coins jangling. Last year I rolled my office jar and it had $170 in it. No idea how it got so high but who cares. I have a pocket in my winter coat that is dedicated to coins. It's definitely become a bit obsessive compulsive. My wife asked me not long ago what I want to do with the coins and I told her let them accumulate. I don't want to spend them. I don't want them in a bank. I can't even lift the crate any longer. I just want to have a shit ton of coins and one day I figure I'll be old and go buy a new car or something. Or I'll leave them for my kid. Or I'll bury them somewhere and create a treasure map. I don't know, I just don't want to spend them. 

Sweet

my furnace is 28 years old. its probably 2% efficient.

my a/c is the same age. the brand is Magic Chef. yeah, you read that right.

that shit keeps on blastin though.

My furnace is not that old, but it is getting testy and has needed expensive maintenance in the last 2 years.

I am dreading that expenditure

My parents said I can move back in with them if I don't find a job in ohio when my lease is up.

still keep working my current job and just save save save.

more and more it's sounding like an awesome idea. I just hate this city so much. they live in the middle of nowhere and it's beautiful. no fast food, nothing. they buy half a cow every year from our farmer neighbors. and have like 2 freezers in the garage for it. best meat ever.

• Shitty Rambo changed the title to Small Talk Revival Thread
  • jhulud locked this topic