Your friend is having a wedding. you wouldn't cut them a deal comparatively to what you would charge other people?

i shot weddings. not many, as they suck to do. those that didnt barter with me i did cut them a deal...but ive known them for over 25 years. those friends get discounts.

since i have a real job, my only loss was a sore back.

well worth it.

Don't forget about the creepy, drunk groomsman who never fails to hit on you.

i cannot tell you how many times this has happened.

one time a super drunk dude got really mad at me because i wouldn't dance with him and go out for drinks with him afterward. 'HEY YOU CAN JUST SAY IM UGLY. YOU DONT HAVE TO MAKE UP AN EXCUSE AND SAY YOU DONT DRINKKKKK!'

ok, sir.

I do production work for friends/family gratis or heavily discounted. Not sure how it works where you are from but we call my business a "community". I have no issue calling any person I hire on the phone one day and ask them to help me with a 1/2 rate day if my budget is strained. They know they can say no and I'll understand. They also know that I'll call them first two weeks later when I have a full days pay rate. It works out. I am constantly giving and asking for professional courtesy. 

My wedding:

Me + wife + two witnesses + priest.

My reception: three months later 200 people backyard vegetarian bar-b-que and italian food with three separate wiffleball games going. 

Regrets: none

To this day people tell me our reception was the best they'd ever been two. T-shirts, beer, kids and wiffle go a long way in creating memories and saving big dollars.

to be slightly rash:

we spent about 3k on our wedding. all together.

One of the weddings I was at last year hired a photographer for 3k.

The photos sucked, and she sucked.

We have a house with the money that we saved by doing our own thing with our wedding.

But I guess I could have a fucking incredible photo album while still living at my parent's house.

Die cold and alone, not impacting the world in the slightest bit. Just turn to dust.

My only goal in life...

I rather blow all of my money now than live to be old and not be able to enjoy myself because everything hurts.

This....the job does opt me in to a 401k from day 1, and I get stocks as part of my review package, so I will sit on all that, but my other "savings" (tax return/bonus money) usually get blown throughout the year.

Wahhhh I went to college to take pictures and I owe money for it, wahhhh. My friend shot my wedding for a discount, he did it because he is not a dick.

lol

Edit: to all you photogs out there...don't ever start a band haha.

to be slightly rash:

we spent about 3k on our wedding. all together.

One of the weddings I was at last year hired a photographer for 3k.

The photos sucked, and she sucked.

We have a house with the money that we saved by doing our own thing with our wedding.

But I guess I could have a fucking incredible photo album while still living at my parent's house.

that's about standard for a photographer.

and that's your dumb friends problem for hiring someone who did subpar work.

everyone has priorities. if photography is not one of yours, there are plenty of 'photographers' on craigslist who will shoot your wedding for $500. good luck with that.

until then, i'd appreciate it if you could show a little respect for other people's professions.

CLEARLY some of you are not understanding.

YOU would not work for less than your salary and/or hourly pay.  You would not.  So don't shit on us because we refuse to be paid less than what we should be because you have a friend who is a photographer.

Who here is a dentist?  I don't have dental insurance anymore and I could REALLY use some work done.  Anyone got that discount?

I do production work for friends/family gratis or heavily discounted. Not sure how it works where you are from but we call my business a "community". I have no issue calling any person I hire on the phone one day and ask them to help me with a 1/2 rate day if my budget is strained. They know they can say no and I'll understand. They also know that I'll call them first two weeks later when I have a full days pay rate. It works out. I am constantly giving and asking for professional courtesy. 

wedding photography is a whole different beast. there are only so many saturdays a year, and by telling a friend you'll do $2000 worth of work and hours and hours of post production for them, you lose out on all the income you'd make from that date. there's not really a give or take when someone says 'will you work for free or a deep discount' and they have nothing to reciprocate with.

you can't just pick up some extra work in the middle of the week to make up for that lost revenue.

and seriously, i have offered my really good friends discounts in the past and they insist on paying my going rate because it offends them that i'd think they wouldn't pay me in full.

• Shitty Rambo changed the title to Small Talk Revival Thread
  • jhulud locked this topic