warped records.

I want to know this too. Just curious...

This caught my attention as well. How does one accidently warp a 7"?

Anyways, stacking records between my wife's heavy ass highschool yearbooks and setting them next to a sunny window has always helped me. It doesn't make them completely flat but it'll make a badly warped record playable.

Anyways, stacking records between my wife's heavy ass highschool yearbooks and setting them next to a sunny window has always helped me. It doesn't make them completely flat but it'll make a badly warped record playable.

I already answered this.

All the sudden OP becomes self aware? I smell a troll.

just because I don't know much about vinyl doesn't mean I'm an ignorant person?? I sense a lot of immaturity and elitism on this forum, which is upsetting because it is an interesting community. I joined because I am very excited about getting into vinyl and I know I have a lot of dumb questions, but now not sure if I want to stick around. :/

i know this was unintentional but i just laughed so hard

just because I don't know much about vinyl doesn't mean I'm an ignorant person?? I sense a lot of immaturity and elitism on this forum, which is upsetting because it is an interesting community. I joined because I am very excited about getting into vinyl and I know I have a lot of dumb questions, but now not sure if I want to stick around. :/

Feel free to leave at any point. Nobody is stoping you.

If you have a laptop that gets hot during computer games (i.e Alienware/Mac/Dell XPS) slide the record under there while playing a game for several plus hours. Normally it will slightly work for slight warped records. Also the front porch with weights in a cardboard box works when its hot out.

These are probably the only thread I don't mind popping up on here, because there is really no safe way to do this. Between glass slabs, oven, and others. But I agree there should be some sort of Misc thread for record info on small holes, miscut records, and warping. 

• 2 weeks later...

Also, wanted to bring up what i've done to fix warped records in the past and now it's what i do every time with perfect results.

I tried it (and perfected it) on records I didn't care about destroying first, obviously. But it's pretty simple. I bought two ceramic pizza serving plates / stones (mine are 12" but I guess you could go bigger). I then preheat my oven to 150 degrees (doesn't take long at all — a few minutes, max) and then I sandwich the record between the two smooth sides of the ceramic plates. At first I thought I'd need to take the record out after a few minutes or even less than that, but sometimes I find I have to leave the record in there for 20+ minutes (seriously). I baby sit it and continually check on it. I think the key is that the pizza ceramic stones aren't heavy enough to impose their weight into the grooves at a low-ish oven temp, but ARE heavy enough to influence the warp back to a flat state. Eventually it'll get to a point where you can tell the warp in the record isn't forcing up on the top ceramic plate anymore and that's a good sign that you're almost done. It's more of a feel thing and nowhere near a science, but I've yet to wreck a record doing it and everything I've done with it is playable afterward with no skips whereas before it was junk so, whatever. Food for thought. Here's a google image search for similar versions of what I use for this:

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&safe=off&q=ceramic+pizza+stone&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_cp.r_qf.&biw=1884&bih=1126&ion=1&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=L-oEUf6aB_SQ0QGa54HYDQ

Also, wanted to bring up what i've done to fix warped records in the past and now it's what i do every time with perfect results.

I tried it (and perfected it) on records I didn't care about destroying first, obviously. But it's pretty simple. I bought two ceramic pizza serving plates / stones (mine are 12" but I guess you could go bigger). I then preheat my oven to 150 degrees (doesn't take long at all — a few minutes, max) and then I sandwich the record between the two smooth sides of the ceramic plates. At first I thought I'd need to take the record out after a few minutes or even less than that, but sometimes I find I have to leave the record in there for 20+ minutes (seriously). I baby sit it and continually check on it. I think the key is that the pizza ceramic stones aren't heavy enough to impose their weight into the grooves at a low-ish oven temp, but ARE heavy enough to influence the warp back to a flat state. Eventually it'll get to a point where you can tell the warp in the record isn't forcing up on the top ceramic plate anymore and that's a good sign that you're almost done. It's more of a feel thing and nowhere near a science, but I've yet to wreck a record doing it and everything I've done with it is playable afterward with no skips whereas before it was junk so, whatever. Food for thought. Here's a google image search for similar versions of what I use for this:

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&safe=off&q=ceramic+pizza+stone&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_cp.r_qf.&biw=1884&bih=1126&ion=1&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=L-oEUf6aB_SQ0QGa54HYDQ

man being helpful is cool.

• 7 months later...