Rocketown in Nashville. No Gays Allowed!

Even if the argument is that Rocketown is against same-sex marriage (which has yet to be proved, but can be assumed by most due to the fact that they are "Christian"):

If you're for same-sex marriage, why would you work for a company that is against same-sex marriage for SEVEN YEARS!?

Let the record show that I am a Christian (believe it or not because I say fuck every once in a while) and I am for same-sex marriage.

because you are the same person when you start working someplace as you are when you leave/get fired.  I forgot people do not change

maybe when he was hired he didnt care/didnt have an opinion/was against same-sex marriage, and over the 7 years his ideals and what he believed in changed?  maybe he was christian when he started, but burned out/lost faith as he worked there?  WHY he worked there isnt important, why he was FIRED is important.  its not a church, a church could discriminate against him not being christian, but they're not a church, so they cant refuse to hire someone based on their religious beliefs.  maybe he got a job there because it was the only thing he knew 7 years ago and just never thought to leave? 

if you're claiming that your employer has been discriminating you based on your religious values and/or believes, why the hell would you wear a shirt proclaiming your religious values and/or beliefs to work?  I'm all for gay rights and same sex marriage and whatnot, but I'm also for common sense, and this guy seems to be lacking in that department...

also, newsflash: just because a shirt is rad doesn't mean that it's appropriate for work.

Yeah, and then there's that lazy Rosa Parks who knew she wasn't supposed to sit in the front of the bus. She knew it was only for the white folk and that the people and the busdriver would get upset. Why would anyone knowingly stand up against a belief that is fundamentally discriminatory and just plain wrong?

Whether this guy is a nitwit or not, I don't know, what I do know is that we must stand up for equality no matter what small or large sacrifice we must make.

My biggest experience with religion would be Catholic/protestant school and that is how I relate to it. I'm not spinning this to my agenda, it is already there. Religious people being bigots is a pretty standard thing. Am I supposed to hate without using my experiences? Just hate blindly?

Disclaimer: I am only hateful about the anti-gay stances. Not all religious people are bad and I respect people's beliefs.

Block me for the love of fuck so you don't have to see what I write, bro.

It just always seems like you come in on a discussion and try to turn it into an argument, bro. And not just in threads that involve religion.

Do I hate you? No.

Do I think you're a bad person? No. .

So I'm not going to block you because you actually have interesting input like in the recently viewing thread when you talked about the Toynbee tiles.

We are just two people on the Internet with different beliefs.

Yeah, and then there's that lazy Rosa Parks who knew she wasn't supposed to sit in the front of the bus. She knew it was only for the white folk and that the people and the busdriver would get upset. Why would anyone knowingly stand up against a belief that is fundamentally discriminatory and just plain wrong?

Whether this guy is a nitwit or not, I don't know, what I do know is that we must stand up for equality no matter what small or large sacrifice we must make.

was rosa parks an employee of the transit system?  does the community center ban gay and/or non-christian customers, or otherwise treat them differently?  I think there's a big difference here.  from what I know, rocketown isn't doing anything that's harmful to anyone and I don't think anyone is being treated unequally.

anyhoo, people are allowed to think whatever they want to think.  if you fire someone for what they think and not what they do, that's bad.  but if you fire someone who goes out of their way to disrespect your (and your company's) beliefs, then I see nothing wrong with that.  it's not illegal to fire someone for intentionally and openly disrespecting their employer, is it?

also, please don't compare a guy wearing a gay marriage shirt to rosa parks... he didn't get arrested or humiliated, he got fired from a job working at a community center.

BRO BRO BRO BRO BRO BRO BRO BRO BRO BRO BRO BRO BRO BRO BRO BRO BRO BRO BRO BRO BRO BRO BRO BROBRO BRO BRO BRO BRO BROBRO BRO BRO BRO BRO BROBRO BRO BRO BRO BRO BROBRO BRO BRO BRO BRO BROBRO BRO BRO BRO BRO BROBRO BRO BRO BRO BRO BROBRO BRO BRO BRO BRO BROBRO BRO BRO BRO BRO BROBRO BRO BRO BRO BRO BROBRO BRO BRO BRO BRO BROBRO BRO BRO BRO BRO BROBRO BRO BRO BRO BRO BROBRO BRO BRO BRO BRO BROBRO BRO BRO BRO BRO BROBRO BRO BRO BRO BRO BROBRO BRO BRO BRO BRO BROBRO BRO BRO BRO BRO BRO

This is all so stupid. You don't like what Rocketown did, then don't go to Rocketown. Then again, I'm guessing that none of the people on these boards go to Rocketown for shows anyways, so it's like if the managers at Stonehenge fired someone for partaking in interracial marriage. What are we all going to do? Not frequent Stonehenge?

People on the internet just love reasons to bitch about things. 

This is all so stupid. You don't like what Rocketown did, then don't go to Rocketown. Then again, I'm guessing that none of the people on these boards go to Rocketown for shows anyways, so it's like if the managers at Stonehenge fired someone for partaking in interracial marriage. What are we all going to do? Not frequent Stonehenge?

Is it managed by these guys?

team-rocket.jpg

I actually went to Stonehenge earlier this month. I didn't happen to notice any interracial couples. Coincidence? I think not.

Has anyone ever watched Small Town Gay Bar? Title says it all. It's on Netflix. I tried watching it but I get frustrated watching things having to do with trashy small town people. I'm pretty sure there is a Fred Phelps interview. Those are always fun.

From what I understand this is the straw that broke the camel's back.

Of course none of these bands will listen to this.

And the guy is most likely playing this up. Always is the case.

I've been there before. I knew it was Christian but they seemed very liberal for being a Christian organization. I'm pretty sure The Wonder Years played I won't say the Lord's Prayer and there didn't seem be be any qualms about it.

From what I understand this is the straw that broke the camel's back.

Of course none of these bands will listen to this.

And the guy is most likely playing this up. Always is the case.

I've been there before. I knew it was Christian but they seemed very liberal for being a Christian organization. I'm pretty sure The Wonder Years played I won't say the Lord's Prayer and there didn't seem be be any qualms about it.

From what I gathered it was a run by a Christian organization but they were more concerned with providing a positive place for kids to see a show. I may have heard that they asked bands to limit their swearing and what not but Im not positive. TSSF and Man Overboard are now switching their tour date from Rockettown. Things are just getting weird.

statement from Rocketown

Rocketown does not comment on personnel issues, but, generally speaking, an employee would not be fired for expressing opinions on marriage.

At Rocketown we are welcoming and accepting of all youth. We reach out to all kids, are inclusive and very much care about acceptance of youth from different ethnicities, sexual orientations, financial backgrounds and religions. Our mission is to provide a safe and drug-free environment where kids are welcomed, accepted and loved.

hmmmmm