Getting rid of all your cds

I have around 400 CDs and they're really starting to take up space. I'm not planning on selling any since it wouldn't be worth it, but I'm definitely going to start cutting down on buying them aside from cool/import/etc ones from my absolute favorite bands. Being a teenager with a limited budget, I'm going to do my best to listen to new releases on Spotify first and if I like it, then I'll buy the vinyl version.

shit man now is the time to spend money.  it gets worse the older you get.

i got rid of a couple hundred last year. they were just taking up space and hadn't been played in years. everything i still liked was on digital format and the rest i grew out of due to buying young/changing tastes/etc. i don't even have a CD player in my car so they were kind of useless anyway. it was a pain in the ass, but not terrible. sold them all to local stores for a loss obviously (probably $0.50-$2 per CD), but it gave me some extra record cash and cleared out some room. i don't miss them really.

shit man now is the time to spend money.  it gets worse the older you get.

Ah, I know, it's more just the fact that I don't have an actual steady job yet and therefore no real cash flow. Most of the cash I get is from odd jobs and such. Once I start getting real paychecks I'm screwed.

i got rid of about 200 cd's last year because i really didn't need them. i kept about 20 that are rare or considered dvd/mpeg too. i had about 1000 dvd's and that's dwindled down to around 100 now. life feels soo much better without the clutter. 

now thinking about giving away all my old punk zines from the 80's and early 90's. still not sure about that yet.

Ah, I know, it's more just the fact that I don't have an actual steady job yet and therefore no real cash flow. Most of the cash I get is from odd jobs and such. Once I start getting real paychecks I'm screwed.

oh i get it dude.  it's funny because i was shredding years of bank statements and realized that i pretty much bought cd's, dvd's and other random shit when i was younger.  now i get excited putting an extra 50 spot on the principle for my mortgage...haha.

went totally vinyl + digital about three years ago, havent bought a CD in about that time.  Have 1500 in my garage.  Actually have donated about 500 per year the last two years to goodwill to offset my taxes.  ends up being about 8 dollars a piece for donation, which equals over $1500 per year back in my pocket, so I dont mind giving them away since there is no way i could sell that many

went totally vinyl + digital about three years ago, havent bought a CD in about that time.  Have 1500 in my garage.  Actually have donated about 500 per year the last two years to goodwill to offset my taxes.  ends up being about 8 dollars a piece for donation, which equals over $1500 per year back in my pocket, so I dont mind giving them away since there is no way i could sell that many

thats actually a pretty great deal, considering most thrift stores sell them for about $2 a piece.

I wish I had a better understanding of taxes/write-offs...that sounds like a good way to go.  

I wish I had a better understanding of taxes/write-offs...that sounds like a good way to go.  

it only works because i have a tax burden, if you dont own much in taxes, the write off isnt that valuable (i.e. its a deduction, not a credit)

and the $8 a piece is on the liberal side, the IRS would probably rather the deduction be $4, but they allow both based on value.  you can typically expect your taxes to be reducedby about 25-35% of whatever the deduction is, but again, if you didnt owe much in taxes or got it all back, then it wont be as helpful.

• 4 weeks later...