Came across something cool today... help needed from more hardcore Rancid fans than I!

So, I was perusing the selection her ein Dayton at the local indie shop, and came across a copy of the white label promo for White Zombie's "Thunderkiss '65" (KMFDM remixes), and in the corner, there was a sticker that advertised it came with a setlist.

"Holy crap! I love White Zombie! I gotta see this setlist!"

So i look at the part that's exposed out the back. I see no White Zombie songs on the list, but instead I'm seeing "Time Bomb," "Tenderloin," and "Olympia" scrawled on the paper.

I bring this to the attention of the manager on deck for the shop: "hey, you know the band the record's for and the band the setlist is from aren't the same, right?"

"Who is..."

"The setlist is from Rancid."

Guy looks at it for a second, and asks "are you a fan?"

"Hell yeah I am."

And now I have a Rancid setlist of indeterminate origin/tour/year. Anyone wanna help?

tumblr_mh961iqe7b1r7sooso1_500.jpg

Most likely a show from 96 as they were opening with Max and closing with Ruby during that time. They were on the Lollapalooza tour and doing their own shows. Based on other setlists from those tours it seems to be more of their own show based on the number of songs played and the order they played them in. In Feb/March they were playing a set (from what is available to see quickly on a search) that was very close to this one, so Id guess in those months.

Most likely a show from 96 as they were opening with Max and closing with Ruby during that time. They were on the Lollapalooza tour and doing their own shows. Based on other setlists from those tours it seems to be more of their own show based on the number of songs played and the order they played them in. In Feb/March they were playing a set (from what is available to see quickly on a search) that was very close to this one, so Id guess in those months.

Agreed. It's almost identical to this one:

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/rancid/1996/water-street-music-hall-rochester-ny-2bd5e08a.html

I'd bet money it's from the same tour, spring of 96.

I've never heard of something like this before.  Was this a common thing at one point?  To put random setlists in with other albums?  It's a really cool idea, like I said I've just never heard of such a thing.

No, basically the shop got in that white Zombie record, and this was in the plastic outer sleeve with it when they got it. The person doing the pricing was clearly not familiar with either band. (seriously, the other staff people are clueless. I asked them when I went in there my first time there afte rmoving back if they had new 7"s in a certain spot in the store or if they were mixed in with the main pool of them, and they guy flat out had to ask somoene else. YOU FUCKING WORK THERE! How do you NOT KNOW where you put new stock???)

But thye probably thought since the setlist was in with this record it must've been from the same band. As a selling point they put a sticker on that said "Setlist included!" and priced it at $20. Trust me, I was also excited on the prospect of even LOOKING at a White Zombie setlist.

But yeah, it was just a mistake on their part. Which is why they just gave the thing to me 'cause they didn't really have any use for it.

Get "And Out Come the Wolves" and listen to "Journey to the End of East Bay." That song is seriously fucking perfect. It is one of my favorites.

That's my favorite song too but I'd also recommend "Maxwell Murder". The bass solo is just freaking ridiculous.

Rancid one of the few punk bands that uses the bass to bring something to the table rather than just follow the lead of the guitar and fill out sound.

pretty cool. as everyone pointed out this is pre LWW and most likely from late 95 or sometime in 96 since they didn't really do any shows in 97 and if this was from 98 it would have LWW songs on there. i have some set lists from them through the years and starting in the early 00s they started printing up all their set lists every night and nothing was hand written for the most part.

pretty cool. as everyone pointed out this is pre LWW and most likely from late 95 or sometime in 96 since they didn't really do any shows in 97 and if this was from 98 it would have LWW songs on there. i have some set lists from them through the years and starting in the early 00s they started printing up all their set lists every night and nothing was hand written for the most part.

See, details like that are cool to know.

Thanks for chiming in. :)

they started printing up all their set lists every night and nothing was hand written for the most part.

I've got a binder full of set lists, and it's always awesome to see them written by hand. Could be hastily put together, but it feels more personal. (Whereas one of the Gaslight Anthem setlists I got a few years ago was typed up and recycled from the week before, the date and the venue of the other show with a marker and put down the local venue's name and date. Felt a bit cheated there, hahah.)