I just found out I'm going to be on David Letterman. What do I do? Anything cool in NYC?

jpearin

Yeah.

In an odd turn of events, the 50's roots rock band I play (http://www.facebook.com/LanceLipinskyAndTheLovers) in has been asked to back up an Elvis guy for 3 nights next week on Late Show with David Letterman (February 4th, 5th, and 6th).

I'm fairly scared.

If anyone's interested, here's the promo video we half-assedly shot. The piano player and Elvis in this clip are from the Chicago cast of 'Million Dollar Quartet' and the horns are from 'JC Brooks & the Uptown Sound'. Nothing like cheesy Elvis stuff.

Primary thing. I'll be in town for a week. Anything cool in NYC? I'm specifically looking for records and music gear - drums, preferably. Food, too!

congrats.. that's awesome.

and not to take anything away, but can i take a moment to ask why elvis impersonators are a thing? and a really, really, really, big thing at that?

and not to take anything away, but can i take a moment to ask why elvis impersonators are a thing? and a really, really, really, big thing at that?

I wonder the same thing. I'm not a fan from the standpoint of someone who goes to shows, but am for trying to make a career out of music. I dropped out of High School to play in bands. So far, the best paying gigs have been studio session work and a Beatle Tribute band I played George in for a year and a half. This, too.

which one are you? haha

also, CONGRATS!

I'm on drums!

A lot of people use the impersonation stuff for a source of income. I work part time at a lighting company to supplement the Music stuff. I also just formed a post-hardcore band and play in a bunch of other stuff, too. A lot of the impersonation fans are absolutely fucking nuts.

Tho impersonators are kinda Lame, this is fucking awesome. Congrats man.

in Buffalo we have a pretty good Elvis impersonator and he's at like every major event in the city.  i bet there's a butt load of money in it.

in Buffalo we have a pretty good Elvis impersonator and he's at like every major event in the city.  i bet there's a butt load of money in it.

Definitely. People (who are also terrible at it) make tons. That's how a lot of musicians also get sucked into it. It's easy money, the repertoire never changes, and a large demographic of people love it. Those are three things you'll be hard-pressed to find with an original band. I've always done both. I started playing in a cover band with my Dad when I was 10 years old - just had our 10 year anniversary 2 weeks ago. Once you get the material down, it's like clockwork. It's hard to say no to someone who can offer you anywhere from $100 to $2,000 a night for a maximum of 4 hours of work.

but whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy???

My guess is that they just got so sick of people saying "you know...you look/sound just like elvis" so they decided that they should actually dress up as Elvis - because no one ever tells an Elvis impersonator that they look like Elvis.