PO: Fall Out Boy - Save Rock and Roll (5/7)

me too

I'm not sure what people who haven't liked these new songs are expecting.  This follows the album-to-album progression

Sorry, I'm not buying that.

This is quite the departure -- the two songs so far have seen the drums and guitar, normally the driving force on every single Fall Out Boy album released to-date, take a back seat to programming and drum samples.

Whether or not you enjoy it, that's fine and simply your opinion, but the band's sound has quite obviously changed. 

Sorry, I'm not buying that.

This is quite the departure -- the two songs so far have seen the drums and guitar, normally the driving force on every single Fall Out Boy album released to-date, take a back seat to programming and drum samples.

Whether or not you enjoy it, that's fine and simply your opinion, but the band's sound has quite obviously changed. 

Yes it's changed, hence the term "progression".  If they made songs like this right after Take This To Your Grave, then it would definitely be a big departure.  But when I hear that Fall Out Boy is making another album four years after Folie a' Deux, this is more-or-less what I would expect that to sound like.

The production is definitely different, but not a surprise considering what Patrick has been up to the last couple years.

I guess what I should've said in the other post is "people who have been disappointed by these new songs" instead of "people who haven't liked these new songs".

Yes it's changed, hence the term "progression".  If they made songs like this right after Take This To Your Grave, then it would definitely be a big departure.  But when I hear that Fall Out Boy is making another album four years after Folie a' Deux, this is more-or-less what I would expect that to sound like.

The production is definitely different, but not a surprise considering what Patrick has been up to the last couple years.

I guess what I should've said in the other post is "people who have been disappointed by these new songs" instead of "people who haven't liked these new songs".

I understand why you would like something like this. Hell, I even like poppier bands whose use of samples and programming greatly exceeds Fall Out Boy's. But I just don't see how this is a "progression" (which in and of itself is a debatable term here, implying that previous albums are inferior and the band has gotten better the more they've moved away from a beloved sound that won them fans in the first place -- but that's a discussion for another thread).

Their previous album, which is my favorite, by the by, was still primarily driven by loud, heavy guitar and pounding drums. These two new songs have eschewed that by putting the programming and samples into the driver's seat, while mixing the live drums towards the back and losing the loud, distorted guitar.

Anyway, I'll leave it at that. I guess I'm just flyin' off the handle here 'cause AbsolutePunk.net is lighting up over these two new songs. I really need to find a new place to read my music news...

Anyway, I'll leave it at that. I guess I'm just flyin' off the handle here 'cause AbsolutePunk.net is lighting up over these two new songs. I really need to find a new place to read my music news...

I know what you mean.  I've learned to read the front page and not venture into the comments there.

And I didn't mean progression in terms of "better" but just in terms of it following the trend of stylistic jumps between albums.  By no means do I consider this to be the best music they've put out.

I know what you mean.  I've learned to read the front page and not venture into the comments there.

And I didn't mean progression in terms of "better" but just in terms of it following the trend of stylistic jumps between albums.  By no means do I consider this to be the best music they've put out.

No, I hear ya. I just really like Fall Out Boy and it all kinda hit a head after they released that new video tonight, that's all. Don't mean to go after anyone's opinions here. I actually like this place.

-Update-

Spoke to a friend of mine who is there (long story short, we bought her tickets and flights and accom for her birthday) and apparently the DJs were actually really good. She was expecting them to be some electronic generic stuff (and I did too when I first heard that DJs would be supporting) but they were actually people from basically the only alternative/punk night clubs that exist here, which was apparently a well-received surprise. A live support would have been nice but this was pretty good.

Sorry Lockie, thought they would be some generic club DJ!

This was done by one of the DJs if anyone is interested:

Fall out boy is trying too damn hard to be relevant. I think that's the problem. I realize that as a band you need to keep growing and changing but if you change so much no can recognize you you're a different band.

I think their comeback album should be a throwback to certain degree, this kind of album isn't something they have the credibility to pull off just yet. 

people have such an aversion to electronic music here it's crazy.

... I like electronic music. I like this new single. I like electronic artists. I just separate concerts from going to see djs. I really am surprised this is so confusing for you to understand. I would rather have a small local artist if I went to a concert. If I went to a music festival or a club I would expect to hear a dj. Does that quell your reckless assumptions? Please pour yourself drink and take an internet break.

... I like electronic music. I like this new single. I like electronic artists. I just separate concerts from going to see djs. I really am surprised this is so confusing for you to understand. I would rather have a small local artist if I went to a concert. If I went to a music festival or a club I would expect to hear a dj. Does that quell your reckless assumptions? Please pour yourself drink and take an internet break.

and what's the difference between a small local artist and a small local dj? absolutely nothing. same thing.