What's your latest purchase?

It arrived. Pretty stoked on its condition for such a cheap buy. And a piece of formerly expensive equipment.

Now it's a rega planar 2, luxman k111 cassette deck, luxman lv113 integrated amp. Next I'll patiently wait for a luxman phone pre, and a luxman CD player to make this all kinds of rad.

I do need far better interconnects too. The tape to amp are 15yo $2 shop specials.

pSe3Fqbl.jpg

Bought an AT120E cartridge. So far it sounds great. Need to try it on really hot records with sibilance to see its strengths yet. But so far on playing the QRP Counting Crows "August and Everything After", it has a different sound than the Ortofon but I'm digging it. Guess time and further listening will tell how much more I like it.

• 2 weeks later...

Not strictly my latest purchase as I've had it a couple of months but I built this kit turntable over Christmas

DSCF6766_zps9b639d98.jpg

It's an Input Designs turntable that came in kit form in the 80's and was the original turntable that became the Manticore Mantra later on. This one came from ebay missing quite a few important parts like ball for the main bearing, motor pulley and some suspension parts.

Most I was able to make/adapt but the original bearing was pretty poor to start with so I modified it to use an old Thorens one the guy gave me with the kit.

• 2 weeks later...

About to make a recent purchase, tomorrow buying a new TT, but trying to decide to buy an A Technica lp60 or the lp120. Not sure if its worth sending an extra almost 200 bucks for the lp120. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I recommend to not buy either of those.

Avoid the LP60 at all costs and everything that is similar to it. The LP120 will do the job and can be made into a good turntable with work but you will probably want to upgrade not long after getting it so in short there are better choices as suggested above.

Thanks guys. Was looking at the lp120 for 293 but as yall have mentioned the project essential and carbon are around that so im going that route for sure. Trying to figure out if i absolutely need speakers now or if i can enjoy the TT without speakers now and pick them up later.

Thanks guys. Was looking at the lp120 for 293 but as yall have mentioned the project essential and carbon are around that so im going that route for sure. Trying to figure out if i absolutely need speakers now or if i can enjoy the TT without speakers now and pick them up later.

You can enjoy it all you like but it will be an entirely visual experience until you get some speakers and an amplifier.

All of the turntables mentioned are designed to be used with amplifiers and speakers, any modern turntable and the vast majority of vintage ones that have built in amplifiers and speakers are as much use as a chocolate teapot. 

You might want to have a good read of the beginners guide so that you can see what's needed before you go spending any money

Nope, unless you have/buy some headphones to connect to your amp/receiver.

I was given a set of Polk Monitor 50s for my living room setup. Had not previously used any floorstanding speakers that had two sets of binding posts. Not sold on them yet - they are replacing a pair of Pioneer bookshelf speakers (BS41) that I was quite fond of. 

just bought an integrated amp to replace the stock internal one on my ATLP120, which will be upgraded next to a dc debut carbon.

Onkyo-A-9050-front1.jpg

How do you like that Onkyo amp so far? I almost sprung for that amp but settled on a Marantz PM 5004 instead.