Appleseed Cast - Two Conversations 3rd press up at Graveface

Chiming in with the Appleseed Cast love. I was on my way to having 3 copies of LLO before gold came out and finally said, why am I collecting variants? Just sold my silver LLO to a nice dude who also posted in this thread.

Now, I saw these guys when they were touring for this record in, oh, 2003 maybe? Absolute wonderful live band but terribly boring to watch. Good thing I don't grade live bands on their "performance" but their entertainment value since the entertainment is to hear live music. In my book, A+.

LLO is their opus, however, Two Conversations, because of its more structured lyrics, is probably my favorite album of theirs. I think I'll listen to it tomorrow.

P.S. I've been watching copies of Peregrine go for $30-50 on the 'bay. I cannot fathom that. If all weren't lost in the flood (they probably were), I bet Ryan still has copies of these available.

I don't get it.

Ever see Robert Fripp shredding Paganini compositions on his guitar (32nd notes!!)? He sits when he plays, and may move a little, but he is totally in his own universe--some would call that 'boring' I guess, vs. kids who just did a bunch of speed, coke, or angel dust and then hit the stage and thrash around, maybe hit the notes, maybe not-- but they're so "exciting to watch". :rolleyes:   And some can really groove with their instruments while also being perfect with their execution and sound-- the best of both worlds, no fakery-showmanship and really into it.  i think Matt Weed with Rosetta fits into this category.

Honestly I would rather hear a well executed show (blinfolded) than to see all that 'emotion and adrenaline' or constipated faces etc what comes off as pure entertainment/faking orgasmic-like BS.    Now, Jud with GFE and many drummers, get a pass re: facial expressions as they burn off about 1000 calories in 30 minutes of pure physical exhaustion while executing. Not everyone can be a Peart.

The great moments for me at shows is when one of the members is a mere 'mortal' and splats a note, messes up a section, or has a minor equipment malfunction and the other band members are laughing and pointing fingers/ having a good time while the victim is sweating it out.  Mike Sullivan with RC comes to mind-- pretty serious when he plays, maybe some head nodding action vs Brian Cook who goes all out with the whole body and pays for it with the 'bangover' in the morning  :)  Mike tapped a foot pedal once and disloged one the connecting cables on his pedalboard at exactly the worst time once--Turncrantz, the gent filled in and covered while Brian was having a good laugh..  

The classic joke/mess up is with Rush in 2112, in the break where Geddy sings "And the meek shall inherit the earth", and Alex is supposed to start off that with a little A,B.C and C chord progression--and usually leaves Geddy hanging for that 1/2 second too long and messes him up. Guess you have to find it on YT to appreciate the Canadian sense of humor  ;)

Back to work, lunch break over...

Great thoughts, though I'm doubtful the guy would get a Robert Fripp reference without the aid of Google.

jeje  :)  (old geezer here, showing my age a bit)

to keep on topic, if A/C ever get within decent driving distance...hopefully they'll tour East Coast to promote Illumination Ritual...my whole fam is going to be there!

I'm loving the Appleseed Cast love in here, especially the Two Conversations praise. Most of the time I seem to read about this album being regarded as their worst by fans. It may not be as "out there" as LLO, but everything they had done up until this point - the loops, the keys, the textures, the atmosphere, the environment - is all here, but just layered within very digestible tracks. It is an artform itself to be able to take all those pieces and turn it into an immediate and succinct album. 

I've been trying to push for a Peregrine double LP repress for awhile now. While I own a copy of the previous press, it just does not do the album justice. I asked Graveface about a repress sometime in 2011, and he told me one was likely coming late 2011-early 2012. Obviously that didn't come to fruition. I mentioned it again sometime last year on Graveface's facebook, and I think the response was that while its been discussed, there are no immediate plans in the pipeline. A wickedly colored double LP of Peregrine sitting next to all my other Graveface-released Appleseed Cast albums (the Mare Vitalis double LP looks incredible as well) would truly make AC the pride of my collection.

Ever see Robert Fripp shredding Paganini compositions on his guitar (32nd notes!!)? He sits when he plays, and may move a little, but he is totally in his own universe--some would call that 'boring' I guess, vs. kids who just did a bunch of speed, coke, or angel dust and then hit the stage and thrash around, maybe hit the notes, maybe not-- but they're so "exciting to watch". :rolleyes:   And some can really groove with their instruments while also being perfect with their execution and sound-- the best of both worlds, no fakery-showmanship and really into it.  i think Matt Weed with Rosetta fits into this category.

Honestly I would rather hear a well executed show (blinfolded) than to see all that 'emotion and adrenaline' or constipated faces etc what comes off as pure entertainment/faking orgasmic-like BS.    Now, Jud with GFE and many drummers, get a pass re: facial expressions as they burn off about 1000 calories in 30 minutes of pure physical exhaustion while executing. Not everyone can be a Peart.

The great moments for me at shows is when one of the members is a mere 'mortal' and splats a note, messes up a section, or has a minor equipment malfunction and the other band members are laughing and pointing fingers/ having a good time while the victim is sweating it out.  Mike Sullivan with RC comes to mind-- pretty serious when he plays, maybe some head nodding action vs Brian Cook who goes all out with the whole body and pays for it with the 'bangover' in the morning  :)  Mike tapped a foot pedal once and disloged one the connecting cables on his pedalboard at exactly the worst time once--Turncrantz, the gent filled in and covered while Brian was having a good laugh..  

The classic joke/mess up is with Rush in 2112, in the break where Geddy sings "And the meek shall inherit the earth", and Alex is supposed to start off that with a little A,B.C and C chord progression--and usually leaves Geddy hanging for that 1/2 second too long and messes him up. Guess you have to find it on YT to appreciate the Canadian sense of humor  ;)

Back to work, lunch break over...

Thanks for the long explanation :)  I get your point. It's just that I see live performances as a whole (musical and visual experience).

There's bands I love that were very disappointing on stage. I recorded the sound and I like to listen to it from times to times but attending the show was so boring. I think of Explosions in the Sky and Last Days of April especially.

Thanks for the long explanation :)  I get your point. It's just that I see live performances as a whole (musical and visual experience).

There's bands I love that were very disappointing on stage. I recorded the sound and I like to listen to it from times to times but attending the show was so boring. I think of Explosions in the Sky and Last Days of April especially.

For me, especially with post rock bands, I tend to find all the pedal tinkering and strange playing (use of odd instruments or for EItS using a pen for a pick) interesting enough. The best thing to me is being pretty tired, closing my eyes, and just moving with the music. Like I saw Junius last night, and even though they were really entertaining to watch, their music is spacey enough that I just got lost in it and forgot to follow the performance aspect.

And I figured I'd make a note since I've not seen it mentioned on the boards, but apparently the new Appleseed Cast is set to come out April 23. Just joined the record club to get the special copy (and the Whirr ep coming out the same day). Excited for it.

For me, especially with post rock bands, I tend to find all the pedal tinkering and strange playing (use of odd instruments or for EItS using a pen for a pick) interesting enough. The best thing to me is being pretty tired, closing my eyes, and just moving with the music. Like I saw Junius last night, and even though they were really entertaining to watch, their music is spacey enough that I just got lost in it and forgot to follow the performance aspect.

And I figured I'd make a note since I've not seen it mentioned on the boards, but apparently the new Appleseed Cast is set to come out April 23. Just joined the record club to get the special copy (and the Whirr ep coming out the same day). Excited for it.

Saw Junius and Caspian last night in NC-- for shoegaze and postrock bands, they totally blew the walls down, the back windows out, and my back teeth, along with the last few hairs on my head! Executed to perfection, all band members totally immersed and moving as ONE, 5 times better live vs the studio :)  :)

Right, right, Appleseed Cast!! Looking forward to April 23, too...

Saw Junius and Caspian last night in NC-- for shoegaze and postrock bands, they totally blew the walls down, the back windows out, and my back teeth, along with the last few hairs on my head! Executed to perfection, all band members totally immersed and moving as ONE, 5 times better live vs the studio :):)

Right, right, Appleseed Cast!! Looking forward to April 23, too...

Local 506, right?

I wanted to go, but my future mother in law is in town.

That's where I saw Appleseed Cast with Dreamend a few years ago when they played Low Level Owl start to finish.

Local 506, right?

I wanted to go, but my future mother in law is in town.

That's where I saw Appleseed Cast with Dreamend a few years ago when they played Low Level Owl start to finish.

Yes, Our first time to Local 506. Had a blast, nice venue and people. Parking stunk though vs. Cat's Cradle, but that 's because it's so close to UNC haha (I went to Wake Forest aeons ago)

Would be a great place to see Appleseed Cast-- would love to make the drive for them this year :)

Edit: wow  LLO start to finish!

re: post above, my wife was the designated driver (because of a back injury) and she tolerated the noise, while our daughter and I were in music heaven.

Yes, Our first time to Local 506. Had a blast, nice venue and people. Parking stunk though vs. Cat's Cradle, but that 's because it's so close to UNC haha (I went to Wake Forest aeons ago)

Would be a great place to see Appleseed Cast-- would love to make the drive for them this year :)

Edit: wow LLO start to finish!

re: post above, my wife was the designated driver (because of a back injury) and she tolerated the noise, while our daughter and I were in music heaven.

There was supposed to be a DVD of those Low Level Owl shows a year or two back. It was said to be some sort of anniversary or reflection thing, with interviews and videos of the guys making that album plus footage from the tour they recently did where they played both volumes in their entirety. Again though, this just kinda disappeared over time.

You can find a trailer or two out there.

There was supposed to be a DVD of those Low Level Owl shows a year or two back. It was said to be some sort of anniversary or reflection thing, with interviews and videos of the guys making that album plus footage from the tour they recently did where they played both volumes in their entirety. Again though, this just kinda disappeared over time.

You can find a trailer or two out there.

I remember this.  I hope the DVD comes to fruition sometime.

Check your paypal. I didn't get an email notification but my paypal has the tracking and I ordered this weekend.

hmmm, not here.  Just checked my paypal.  I ordered on the 13th, and there is no tracking on my paypal.  I'm not worried though.  Have had great experiences with Graveface before

hmmm, not here. Just checked my paypal. I ordered on the 13th, and there is no tracking on my paypal. I'm not worried though. Have had great experiences with Graveface before

I also ordered the Dreamend record that he posted about finishing the last 25 on Facebook with it. That might be why it shipped faster.

Def top tier label