Lent

When I was younger in school I would see my friends participating in lent and I'd wonder why they were voluntarily giving up all this awesome stuff.

/one parent atheist, other agnostic.

i don't consider lent a religious activity. just a challenge of the will.

had my own lent last year when i put myself through a 40 days & 40 nights (a la josh hartnett) starting in january.

yeah, except when i did it, i refrained some self indulgence as well. not fun.

when i say i don't consider it religious, it's because me giving something up is not in the name of a god or belief. just a challenge for myself.

Lent is cancelled.  There's no Pope.

Popin' Aint Easy. 

I gave up fast food/soda as my New Year's resolution, which is just as stupid as lent. 

And let's not turn this into a religion debate, we're all mature enough to realize there is no god so we can skip that topic. 

The one assistant coach we have for the girls' high school hockey team I coach told me that yesterday her little sister texted her and was like, "I didn't want to ask them because I'm embarrassed, but why are all these people walking around with dirt on their foreheads?"  I thought that was awesome.  18 years old and this girl has apparently never encountered Ash Wednesday before.

I find it all stupid, though.  Baptized some sort of Protestant, can't even remember which (Baptist?), then "welcomed" into Catholicism at a young age, and I was done with it around 14 and very, very anti-religion when I hit ~20.  Now I just don't understand how people believe in the stories, but I'm less combative about it.

The one assistant coach we have for the girls' high school hockey team I coach told me that yesterday her little sister texted her and was like, "I didn't want to ask them because I'm embarrassed, but why are all these people walking around with dirt on their foreheads?"  I thought that was awesome.  18 years old and this girl has apparently never encountered Ash Wednesday before.

I find it all stupid, though.  Baptized some sort of Protestant, can't even remember which (Baptist?), then "welcomed" into Catholicism at a young age, and I was done with it around 14 and very, very anti-religion when I hit ~20.  Now I just don't understand how people believe in the stories, but I'm less combative about it.

that's pretty close to my story too

If I recall correctly, you and I had some good conversations on the topic, albeit it took a while for either of us to reply.

No, I'm giving up not eating meat on Fridays. I loved not eating meat on Fridays. I wait every year for Lent just to not do that. This is my sacrifice. This is my cross to bear.