THE OFFICIAL EBAY CRAZINESS THREAD

HOw to ebay 101 -

Step 1 - Work out what is the most you're willing pay for the item

Step 2 - Place bid with seconds to go.

This x 1000000000000000000. Bidding any time before the final 10 seconds of the auction is just plain stupid, unless you genuinely enjoy paying more than you have to for things. Why do you think eBay blasts you with messages like "DONT MISS OUT, BID NOW" "BID NOW AND YOULL GET A GREAT DEAL". I'll tell you why, because the higher an item sells for, the more money eBay makes from it. It's clearly in their best interest to encourage people to bid early because that gives everyone else time to think "Hmmm, maybe I CAN spare a few more bucks!" 

well i sure feel like a dodo, gonna go bid on some rope and a stool ;[

My comment was in now way a slight towards you, I hope it didnt seem that way haha. When I made the comment it was a reaction to the previous comment on this page about bidding practices. I was generalizing. I am currently upset because I was bidding on the Inception soundtrack last week and I put a base-bid of $9.99 and the next guy comes along and outbids me, okay that's fine, but then a third bidder bids - and continues to bid - because idiot second bidder put a max in @5+Days to go. So, long story short Inception soundtrack ends (again) for $300+.

Anyone else sketched out by this whole "Second Chance Offer" thing?

What I mean is, I placed a bid on a record at the last second but it wasn't high enough to win. The auction ended at $1 higher. I was bidding more than I should have, and really more than I think it's worth, so I figured "Fuck it, you can have it other guy." 3 minutes after the auction ends I get a "second chance offer" to pay the bid that I placed, which was my MAX bid.

Then I look at the actual high bidder on the auction and he is a new user with 0 feedback, and this is the only item he's bid on. 

So essentially it would be easy for the guy to make a new account to bid up the item, and then if he accidentally wins the item, he can instantly turn around and ask the next highest bidder to pay his MAX bid, when he potentially could have gotten it for a lot cheaper than that. 

I understand that you don't HAVE to accept the second offer, but regardless, that really irks me. Just venting here. 

What I mean is, I placed a bid on a record at the last second but it wasn't high enough to win. The auction ended at $1 higher. I was bidding more than I should have, and really more than I think it's worth, so I figured "Fuck it, you can have it other guy." 3 minutes after the auction ends I get a "second chance offer" to pay the bid that I placed, which was my MAX bid.

Then I look at the actual high bidder on the auction and he is a new user with 0 feedback, and this is the only item he's bid on. 

So essentially it would be easy for the guy to make a new account to bid up the item, and then if he accidentally wins the item, he can instantly turn around and ask the next highest bidder to pay his MAX bid, when he potentially could have gotten it for a lot cheaper than that. 

I understand that you don't HAVE to accept the second offer, but regardless, that really irks me. Just venting here. 

I've never been offered a second chance.  I would probably turn it down as my max is my max.

Yeah if that's the case, that is a bit of bullshit and also illegal.