THE OFFICIAL EBAY CRAZINESS THREAD

A bit beat up? That thing is trashed and probably explains the low price. But who cares, all that matters is you're happy about it. Congrats!

Why is it in such high demand? Strictly because it's a promo? Or is there more to it than that?

I'm almost positive my dad has a copy of this, I'll have to check. Not that it's going anywhere.

Answers to my own question:

-- This DJ pressing (and not the stock versions) has a mix of Penny Lane with a trumpet flourish at the end of the song, a re-mixed version was substituted for the stock copy and all other pressings worldwide. (note - this was later made available on the US pressings of the LP "Rarities" in a Stereo "hybrid" mix).

-- all genuine pressings of this single were pressed at Capitol's Los Angeles plant (look for an asterisk * in the dead-wax) and use the exact same font style pictured above, with shiny lime-green labels.

-- this coupling was bootlegged heavily during the late '70's and 80's (and look very convincing, but beware of dull flat labels, or a printed star on the "Penny Lane" side)

A bit beat up? That thing is trashed and probably explains the low price. But who cares, all that matters is you're happy about it. Congrats!

Why is it in such high demand? Strictly because it's a promo? Or is there more to it than that?

I'm almost positive my dad has a copy of this, I'll have to check. Not that it's going anywhere.

You've answered your own questions, for the most part haha. The rarities version does have the trumpet ending but it's literally just a copy straight from the 45, tacked onto the end of an existing stereo mix. Rather poorly edited too :P

The label on mine is definitely trashed but the disc turned out to be in pretty nice shape. I even got it to play pretty cleanly. Not perfect mind you, but pretty well all things considered. This was clearly well-loved and saw a lot of airplay.

The photo in the listing was a very poorly detailed scanner pic, showed nothing about the condition besides the fact that the label was beyond beat, but in all actuality I'd rate the vinyl itself as a strong VG+

Here is a better picture of the disc, and a sample WAV of the ending off my 45. You can get a better idea of the condition, and also hear what all the fuss is about.

9u3sxj.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3wx7m8g20s5c4bj/pl45promosample.wav

Super happy with this purchase.

anyone else following this?

I legitimately thought I had a chance till it hit 600 with an hour to go.

whoa.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Explosions-Sky-Strange-Innocence-2LP-Ruined-Potential-lp-isis-BLUE-/290987777223

I've just accepted I'll never own a copy unless there is a reissue. No record is worth near that to me.

I think this is the best thing that has ever happened to me on ebay.....I sent the guy an email after payment saying 2.50 wouldn't cover the shipping and that I would send another three dollars and he told me not to worry about it.  The total was right around 9.00 for a 1st press of "we are the romans"

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251354612120?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649