Would you buy? Split 12" with two debut EPs from up coming bands on it?

Yeah, Id bet it does ok on this board then.

Ive gotta be really careful with suggestions on VC because ive been burned before.

Oh so all your posts are sardonic commentary about the message board you're currently on? You're that guy? I bet you're a blast to hang out with.

Anyways, OP will you be posting a stream to a couple songs when it's announced?

If you have faith in the bands and their music and feel that it warrants being put out on your label, move ahead with the project and press it.

If the specific songs in question from each band are not available on vinyl on any other release, it makes even more sense to put it out. Its a nice, cost effective way to get two bands' music out on vinyl if that's something they want.

If the music appeals to people or each band has any bit of a following, those folks will probably buy it. If I heard it and thought it was good enough, I'd buy it if the price was worth it and since you're clearly not a major label, I'm sure the price would be reasonable.

Its not a bad idea but its still a gamble since its two bands who are not well known and haven't proven that they sell records (or downloads), regardless of the format.

Split 12"s definitely work better than two 7"s. 7"s are no longer cost efficient for anybody. You lose money unless you sell a ton. I generally hate paying upwards of $6 for two or maybe three songs. Any more depending on the band and the 7" usually doesn't sound too good.

The only thing is I'm not crazy about a split 12" being less than 6 songs. Otherwise if its like 4 songs it could be on a 10".

Regardless of interest here on the boards remember that splits work well - assuming that both bands are somewhat active - simply because you'll then have two bands working to help you sell one release as opposed to each band only working for themselves.

Odds are that you'll move through the pressing faster this way.

I guess it's a moot point if neither band plays out much/at all though.

I wouldn't buy it. I don't like splits (they are difficult to organize), but that's not the main reason. I only buy music I would want to listen to.

I like your concept to help new bands out. But what you need to seriously ask yourself is, do these bands deserve to be on vinyl?

Because you are taking a huge risk on an expensive venture that is probabilistic of leaving you with boxes of unsold records of bands that no longer exist because they were unsuccessful.

Slumberland records tried a similar concept a few years ago. They had a split single/EP series called Searching For The Now. It was up and coming bands split on limited colored vinyl. And it flopped. 

They released 2 records at a time, I think it was bi-monthly. But there were only 6 volumes (3 release dates). The only record that sold was the one with The Pains Of Being Pure At Heart because that band became successful. I have all the records and some were good, but now I'm trying to sell 5 of them and they are not easy to move.

So while I think it's a cool concept and your heart is in the right place, you should seriously consider if its a sustainable project.

With all of that in mind, I think it would be a better idea to pair and up and coming band with a well established band of similar sound on a split. Although most splits are like this, it could be quite collectible if it were an established series. But you would have to make sure the a-side band is popular.

I wouldn't buy it. I don't like splits (they are difficult to organize), but that's not the main reason. I only buy music I would want to listen to.

I like your concept to help new bands out. But what you need to seriously ask yourself is, do these bands deserve to be on vinyl?

Because you are taking a huge risk on an expensive venture that is probabilistic of leaving you with boxes of unsold records of bands that no longer exist because they were unsuccessful.

Slumberland records tried a similar concept a few years ago. They had a split single/EP series called Searching For The Now. It was up and coming bands split on limited colored vinyl. And it flopped.

They released 2 records at a time, I think it was bi-monthly. But there were only 6 volumes (3 release dates). The only record that sold was the one with The Pains Of Being Pure At Heart because that band became successful. I have all the records and some were good, but now I'm trying to sell 5 of them and they are not easy to move.

So while I think it's a cool concept and your heart is in the right place, you should seriously consider if its a sustainable project.

With all of that in mind, I think it would be a better idea to pair and up and coming band with a well established band of similar sound on a split. Although most splits are like this, it could be quite collectible if it were an established series. But you would have to make sure the a-side band is popular.

Yeah, we should all pretty much just give up and do TOYPAJ represses.

Yeah, we should all pretty much just give up and do TOYPAJ represses.

LOL! I think what Moonbeams is missing here is that his example is very different from what is being proposed. Now I don't know how many unites of each of the 6 splits were produced but this is a single 12" with two up and coming bands not 6 of whatever size those splits were with six up and coming bands. This project would start out much cheaper and thereby far less risky than his example.

Yes, Moobeams. Independant labels still put work and faith into their bands and put them on vinyl even though they're not selling out from Target and Walmart shelves. ;)

oh moonbeams, where would this board be without your "i don't buy certain records because they're too difficult to put on a shelf" and "this band doesn't deserve to be pressed on vinyl so don't do it" mentality.

Yep, you can go fuck yourself.  Point was, far too many bands are lumped into that "genre" when it apparently doesn't really mean anything,

But, on topic, if 2 bands were touring together and had a split, I'd pick it up if either band sounded good to me at that show.  I wouldn't pick it up on a whim, and I wouldn't pick it up if I didn't like either of the bands at the show.

how about you worry less about whether or not anyone will agree to buy your record and care more about putting out records for bands you believe in no matter the results?

Honestly, I don't care about the result or whether or not it sells. I would press them both individually, I just thought a split of this nature would be cool and would be more cost efficient that's all. So I guess I shouldn't have asked, "would you buy this", but rather "do you think I should release a split or should I just try and press them individually?"

Yep, you can go fuck yourself.  Point was, far too many bands are lumped into that "genre" when it apparently doesn't really mean anything,

But, on topic, if 2 bands were touring together and had a split, I'd pick it up if either band sounded good to me at that show.  I wouldn't pick it up on a whim, and I wouldn't pick it up if I didn't like either of the bands at the show.

I just used post-hardcore because when I think of hardcore, I think of bands like Minor Threat, Gorilla Biscuits, etc. I personally use post-hardcore as a reference to what more modern day hardcore sounds like, but it's all subjective.

Honestly, I don't care about the result or whether or not it sells. I would press them both individually, I just thought a split of this nature would be cool and would be more cost efficient that's all. So I guess I shouldn't have asked, "would you buy this", but rather "do you think I should release a split or should I just try and press them individually?"

from a purely economic standpoint, if you can do a split album and the bands are ok with it, then you should do it.

The third release from my band will be EXACTLY what you have just described :)

A split 12" with six tracks from Edmonton, AB's OLD WIVES and 9 tracks from Iowa City's THE BLENDOURS.

I feel like its a risky record to make, but I also happen to think they're two of the best unknown bands on the continent at the moment... So we'll see how it goes!

The third release from my band will be EXACTLY what you have just described :)

A split 12" with six tracks from Edmonton, AB's OLD WIVES and 9 tracks from Iowa City's THE BLENDOURS.

I feel like its a risky record to make, but I also happen to think they're two of the best unknown bands on the continent at the moment... So we'll see how it goes!

Both bands sound great! The Blendours have a real Ziggens feel, love it!