ARTIST BANNED FROM THE UNITED STATES

I understand but it's not right for him to have worked in the United States, time after time, after time, with nothing happening to him. And then one time he gets in trouble without warning him before hand that he needs a work Visa and then just BAN him for 10 years. This is his first time in trouble, a 10 year ban is not just punishment for that.

I don't know why someone wouldn't get a work visa (harder to get? costs more? Do they expect to taxes out of your earnings?).

What I can do is put myself if another musicians shoes. If I could skirt around customs and go to England and the only punishment I faced was that I would be banned for a year or two I would think "fuck it...I wasn't trying to live there...it would probably be about two years before I went back anyways". 

If you want to say 10 is too harsh and it should only be 5, whatever. I get the feeling he would still be making a video to bitch about 5, though.

Yes, we definitely need more terrible mashup artists coming over here from Europe. Especially ones that can't be bothered to fill out the right paperwork to work here.

The punishment probably has a lot to do with the years he's apparently been working here illegally. 

I understand but it's not right for him to have worked in the United States, time after time, after time, with nothing happening to him. And then one time he gets in trouble without warning him before hand that he needs a work Visa and then just BAN him for 10 years.

If someone robbed a bank 5 times and got away with it would it be wrong to put them in jail for 10 years when they got caught on the 6th? The fact he didn't get in trouble the first bunch of times is meaningless.

Yes, we definitely need more terrible mashup artists coming over here from Europe. Especially ones that can't be bothered to fill out the right paperwork to work here.

The punishment probably has a lot to do with the years he's apparently been working here illegally. 

Do people who tour here from other countries get taxed? Just curious. Seems like that would be the obvious difference between a "work visa" and a "visa waiver".

thebiglebowski, on 24 Mar 2013 - 10:47, said:

Do people who tour here from other countries get taxed? Just curious. Seems like that would be the obvious difference between a "work visa" and a "visa waiver".

I'm not positive about all the logistics of it but I'm pretty sure you are expected to file a return and pay taxes if you work in the country for more than a month or so. And I am positive the penalty for not filing taxes is deportation or revocation of your visa (which this dude doesn't have).

Long story short, guy (or his manager) is a moron.

EDIT: Really the worst part about this whole story is that petition is going to get 100,000 signatures, and somebody from the White House is actually going to have to stand up at a press conference and say "yeah this guy just didn't follow the law, we are following it. Stop wasting our time, we're busy."

Yeah this is dumb.  Should have a applied for a work visa I think everyone knows this.  He was just trying to avoid being taxed since he was probably making decent money.  I don't believe its an innocent mistake, unless like it was already said his Manager sorted everything out then maybe he it was an innocent mistake on his part.  But still he got caught probably would have paid a bunch in taxes and now his penalty is no USA.  Good.

No.

Goddamn Australians always trying to get in here illegally and taking good, honest, hardworking American mashup artists' jobs. And they think WE'RE the ones that should foot the bill?

My favorite part about the video is that he states that he has done this "time and time again". Do you think his lawyer is OK with him admitting that he was ignorant to the law/worked in the United States without the proper paper work multiple times? 

Not that online petitions really mean a damn thing, but I will not be signing.