PO: Alice in Chains - The Devil Put Dinosaurs Here

Amazon.co.uk is the cheapest I've seen so far. Works out to around $35 after they take off VAT and add shipping. The currency conversion looks about the same to USD.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Devil-Dinosaurs-Here-VINYL/dp/B00BUT5IAC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1369859503&sr=8-1&keywords=alice+in+chains+vinyl

I would have been fine with this, if there was the option to buy a regular version.  Now I'll have to wait for MOV to re-press this.

Yeah nice, didn't even think about that possibility. I'm sure the source material is 24/96 anyway, so give MOV the files and let them master in house. Very consistent quality records from these guys, glad they finally started being forthcoming about the source lineage.

Anyone looking for RATM's debut album on vinyl, pick up MOVLP043, they got to use the original all analogue metals for it and it sounds freaking brilliant. Unless you want to shell out big bucks for an original pressing this is the best route to go, and to be honest the pressing quality most likely exceeds that of the original US pressing anyway.

Watch out for the XX 20th anniversary pressing, MOV also did this as MOVLP6xx (6 hundred and something), Vlado Meller destroying dynamics all over the place.

I think the slow sales initially have resulted in the price dropping. One store on Facebook just posted:

"Our distributors have dropped the price on the new Alice In Chains Record. Price was $54.97, new price is $29.97! Preorder is available."

http://www.vinylalibi.ca/?~~mode=product&~~id=24144094#!/~/product/id=24144094

I think the slow sales initially have resulted in the price dropping. One store on Facebook just posted:

"Our distributors have dropped the price on the new Alice In Chains Record. Price was $54.97, new price is $29.97! Preorder is available."

http://www.vinylalibi.ca/?~~mode=product&~~id=24144094#!/~/product/id=24144094

If it wasn't a picture disc I'd pay $30 for it, no problem.

Is complaining about loudness the new cool thing?

No, we have been complaining about the ruination of our music for several years now.

Every reissue I can think of sounds like shit.  Nirvana Box Set, shit. PJ Ten reissue, shit.

I don't know about you, but when an artist puts loud AND soft parts in a song I assume they meant to do so.  If I want it louder I can fuckin turn up the volume knob.

Plus compression destroys the dynamic range of cymbals.  It's simple, if you like your music with range and depth and clarity that you should boycott and compressed shit.

It is amazing for any vinyl collector to not be concerned with this unless you only plan on hanging your albums on the wall.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 years later...
On 6/4/2013 at 4:47 PM, noname said:

No, we have been complaining about the ruination of our music for several years now.

Every reissue I can think of sounds like shit.  Nirvana Box Set, shit. PJ Ten reissue, shit.

Amazingly, there just appeared a new 24/96 remaster of The Devil Put Dinosaurs Here and it has slightly more dynamics than the original CD of Dirt did! What a surprise, and shows that the compression is all the work of Ted Jensen as the producer (Nick Raskulinecz) didn't bake the shitty dynamics into the mix files.

Here's "Stone" original mastering on top, new remaster on bottom...and yes, to the ears it SOUNDS fantastic as well, as you'd hope.

Ai_C-_Stone.jpg