PO: Alice in Chains - The Devil Put Dinosaurs Here

Exactly, the guy wrote almost everything they've done. Those speaking for Layne have no idea what they're talking about. I'm glad AIC is still around and creating albums, the sound is still there with or without Layne. 

This is all true but Layne's voice was incredible and I miss it a lot. 

i'll be another annoying "old" fan.  I've always realized that Jerry was the writer but it still feels false without Layne.  His voice is what drew a lot of people to the band and in some sick way his life made the music and lyrics more legit. 

I'm glad they finally get to tour and I'm sure it sucked wondering if he would show up to the studio every morning.  I have no issues with them going on and I think Duvall is great but for me personally Layne's absence is too big.  It would be like PJ without Vedder, Soundgarden without Cornell, etc.  Sometimes the frontman becomes the band.  The last album and this song just feels like a tribute show to me. 

My wife and I went out and repurchased AIC Unplugged on April 5th and blasted it all the way home.  Good times.

• 1 month later...

So the pre-order is official, only a double picture disc so far for vinyl. Hopefully anyone else here that thinks that sucks balls can let them know on their Facebook page under one of the most recent updates they made with a pre-order link. This stinks!!

Picture discs for both the UK and US? Balls! Looks like I won't be purchasing this album at all until a real version comes out. I already know the CD will be loudness wars crushed to shit.

So the pre-order is official, only a double picture disc so far for vinyl. Hopefully anyone else here that thinks that sucks balls can let them know on their Facebook page under one of the most recent updates they made with a pre-order link. This stinks!!

Picture discs for both the UK and US? Balls! Looks like I won't be purchasing this album at all until a real version comes out. I already know the CD will be loudness wars crushed to shit.

What a bummer. I just cannot stand picture discs. I'll be passing on this until they get around to a regular pressing if they ever do.

Is complaining about loudness the new cool thing?

I don't think this is a new thing, I think more people are becoming educated on what is happening with music.  Black Gives Way to Blue has clipping and digital distortion through out, Death Magnetic was the worst, the new Fall Out Boy album is pretty bad too.  It takes away from the dynamic range that used to exist in music, what a drag.

Also, picture discs are too gimmicky, hopefully they do a standard release.

Yep I'm pretty bummed about the picture discs...  but what I also want to know is will it be in a gatefold sleeve?  Because the last thing I want is to spend that much dollar on pic discs, and have them turn up in just a pvc sleeve with an insert or some shit.

Because you know its going to be busted as shit on the sides and it will have a sticker on the clear sleeve preventing you from putting it in a new one.  These pic discs!!   I dont mind them if its a variant (like Coheed did) but otherwise they are awful.

I don't think this is a new thing, I think more people are becoming educated on what is happening with music.  Black Gives Way to Blue has clipping and digital distortion through out, Death Magnetic was the worst, the new Fall Out Boy album is pretty bad too.  It takes away from the dynamic range that used to exist in music, what a drag.

I vote with my dollars.  If a band/label makes an album with an overly-loud master as the only version available: they don't get my money.  I will pirate and reshape the recording to my liking, and I don't do that for free.

Oh and releasing the one good master on picture disc only will warrant a vinyl rip and resale.

Is complaining about loudness the new cool thing?

Let's hope so, if it becomes a cool thing then loads of people will do it and the dicks in the suits will be overruled and the artists who don't understand the concept of dynamics will open their ears to their fanbase's requests.

As for whether it's the new cool thing, I only see people complaining about it on AV forums like here, Steve Hoffman forums, etc., so no...I don't think it's the new cool thing yet.

However it's nice to see that sometimes a review that specifically calls out the dynamic compression can be the #1 most helpful review on Amazon like this one of Soundgarden's Telephantasm - http://www.amazon.com/review/R2G6JU4JL0AIJ7/ref=cm_cr_pr_perm?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B003YRIM0Q&linkCode=&nodeID=&tag=

I found the EU vinyl pressing was noticeably better than the CD on this front. It was cut by Ray Janos at Sterling and they do often use a 24-bit high rez master that's had less drc applied than the redbook master. Unfortunately the US pressing was done at United, very noise, SIDE D pressed off center. The German pressing is whisper quiet and perfectly centred.

Let's hope so, if it becomes a cool thing then loads of people will do it and the dicks in the suits will be overruled and the artists who don't understand the concept of dynamics will open their ears to their fanbase's requests.

Thank you!  Some artists are aware of it, others aren't.  

Also SteveHoffmanForums is where it's at if you care how the audio sounds above all else. I like SHF.

I don't understand why when an album is released they don't just do: a DVD-audio/data disc (or a download) with high-res/no-DRC and a DRC-compressed MP3, and an LP or two.

Maybe I just like the wrong type of music  ;)