As a new Vinyl collector: new vs. used

I think it's the fact that previous post/threads on this board should answer his question. If he just dug a little bit and read around on here he could easily find all the information he needs to make an educated guess on what to do.

- Without having to create an entire thread about it.

If that all seems too much just google: new vinyl vs old vinyl

It easily brings up a ton of articles on the subject.

I despise this kind of atmosphere here. Why should people look something up on google when they prefer direct communication with more experienced enthusiasts?

I was happy to answer the question. I'm happy to continue the discussion. I like these types of discussions.

Just because a discussion doesn't appeal to you, that doesn't mean you have to be a dick to person who asked the question. I don't like/read 90% of the threads here about bands I don't care for. I don't go into them and chastise Blink-182 fans for their lame taste of music. It's childish.

The real problem with the Internet and here is 20ish male immaturity. Grow up, people.

edit: this wasn't directed at you, Soundboard. Just a general grievance.

New, Vs Used will depend on what you're looking for, if you're looking for something older and out of press used is the best route, keep in mind that used will have some wear but most record shops sell good condition used records. I personally have never had a reason to buy used because you can find some good older pieces on amazon new for a good price, but truly used isn't a bad choice just when you're at the flea market take her out the jacket and give her a look before you drop $5 on that Jon Bovi

Buy vinyl.

New or used.

Play vinly on Crosley.

Sounds like shit.

Go back to mp3's.

In all seriousness just start reading threads, search for bands and albums you like at the top in the search bar. Pick up on some conversations about bands/albums/labels you have similar interests in. Assimilate. After 1,000 posts, roast newbs.

New, Vs Used will depend on what you're looking for, if you're looking for something older and out of press used is the best route, keep in mind that used will have some wear but most record shops sell good condition used records. I personally have never had a reason to buy used because you can find some good older pieces on amazon new for a good price, but truly used isn't a bad choice just when you're at the flea market take her out the jacket and give her a look before you drop $5 on that Jon Bovi

Is there a repress of that Jon Bovi yet? Is it limited? Will there be variants?

I am quite surprised at many of the hostile responses, seeing as there is a difference to new vinyl and old vinyl. Newer vinyl (newer pressings) most of the time has a bit worse sound than older ones. If you are not an audiophile then it really does not matter, if you like vinyl, you buy vinyl. 

My boyfriend is not an audiophile and does not hear the difference between a CD and a LP being played, but he buys vinyl because he thinks they look cooler plus they always come in a bigger package.

So when it comes to old vs new, just listen and find your preference.

Doesn't really matter, just buy the records you want/like. I usually try to avoid beat up spines, but usually i'm more concerned with the condition of the record itself. I say buy what you will enjoy and can afford. 

This exactly. It really is up to the buyer to take all the factors into consideration on the specific pressing.

Guest johneedeformed

I despise this kind of atmosphere here. Why should people look something up on google when they prefer direct communication with more experienced enthusiasts?

I was happy to answer the question. I'm happy to continue the discussion. I like these types of discussions.

Just because a discussion doesn't appeal to you, that doesn't mean you have to be a dick to person who asked the question. I don't like/read 90% of the threads here about bands I don't care for. I don't go into them and chastise Blink-182 fans for their lame taste of music. It's childish.

The real problem with the Internet and here is 20ish male immaturity. Grow up, people.

I agree 100%. Much of this board is great and I enjoy learning and discussing about new releases. The asinine elitism gets old REAL quick though. Honestly everyone I know in real life who is a serious vinyl fiend talks a lot of crap about VC users. Not the board itself, but it's "USERS." This doesn't mean every single one of you, it means the handful of pretentious assholes who act like they own the place.

I've been bitched at for discussing flippers or complaining about large companies that mishandle their "sales." I've been told, "these issues have been discussed, just move on." Well EXCUSE US if someone comes to a VINYL message board looking to discuss topics pertaining to VINYL! OMG!?!?! How dare they!

As for new vs old: They're both good! Why decide between one or the other! It all comes down to personal preference really.

Guest johneedeformed

I collect vinyl new and used....should I buy a record player and if so new or used?

Sarcasm font?

Pretensious asshole font.

TeenageEric's response should've just said:

"Buy whatever your parents can afford - that's what I do!"

Newcomers, you would all do very well to just prowl around for a bit and read before starting threads...because you'll find all of your answers contained within other threads ad nauseum. That's why threads like these are such easy targets for "elitism."

I could not agree any more with you.

This is a forum, at a forum, you talk about things. The whole meaning of this forum would almost cease to exist if we were not allowed to ask like minded individuals questions.

If i'd ask something about an artist, I'd rather hear somebody else tell me about it, rather than reading a long boring wikipedia article.

because it's an irrelevant question. some people collect used records, some people collect new records. why should anyone tell this person what they should collect? surely this isn't a real question. 

Yes it is a relevant question.

He is asking Vinyl enthusiasts (that being us) if he should collect new or old. Normally you'd have the understanding that old = worse quality. Maybe he does not trust google that much, since it is not to be trusted. I mean, if I had cleaned my records (as some google links tell me to) i'd have a non-functional vinyl collection.

Yes it is a relevant question.

He is asking Vinyl enthusiasts (that being us) if he should collect new or old. Normally you'd have the understanding that old = worse quality. Maybe he does not trust google that much, since it is not to be trusted. I mean, if I had cleaned my records (as some google links tell me to) i'd have a non-functional vinyl collection.

you should always clean your vinyl....

I think it's the fact that previous post/threads on this board should answer his question. If he just dug a little bit and read around on here he could easily find all the information he needs to make an educated guess on what to do.

So what you're saying is that there's no purpose to this website? I could Google literally every piece of information on this site. I often do if I don't want to endure harassment from the very people who make VC worth existing.

He's asking this question because he doesn't have other local friends who collect and doesn't want to ask the [most likely] pricks who work at his local record store, if he even has one. Luckily, he found a community of humans to talk with instead of a list of search results.

Yeah buddy. Been wanting to get that out in an appropriate thread for awhile.

yeah!

Buy new when you can afford to (pre-orders and such) and if you want the limited variants and all that noise. Buy used all other times.

Edit: Don't mind the smart asses around here, they have nothing better to do than flex their message board muscles around new people or something.

he's right. i have nothing better to do.

TeenageEric's response should've just said:

"Buy whatever your parents can afford - that's what I do!"

Newcomers, you would all do very well to just prowl around for a bit and read before starting threads...because you'll find all of your answers contained within other threads ad nauseum. That's why threads like these are such easy targets for "elitism."

yeah! this too!

basically guys. if you have a vinyl related question. assume it has been discussed on these boards. use the search function. read an old thread, educate yourself. still have a question? bump that old thread.

"vinyl enthusiasts" are popping up everyday, it's the new cool thing to do i guess. so new members are popping up often posting the same questions & threads. so, yeah, peeps are gonna get dicky. myself included. common questions that could be answered with a simple google search, should be answered via that google search.

it's not an elitist thing, i consider it a common sense thing. last year i wanted to stretch my ears. didn't know 2 dicks about the stretching process, healing times, what to expect, how to know if i've damaged my ears, what to do if i did.... so i found a message board specializing in body mod, lurked it for 2 weeks, any questions i had, they had answers to already in existing threads. didn't even need to join those boards or post at all. in my mind, this is how ALL message boards should be approached. lurk, lurk, lurk, join in on the action when you're ready. gives you a chance to see if that's a website you'll actually check often or if it was a fleeting interest.

Guest johneedeformed

I could not agree any more with you.

This is a forum, at a forum, you talk about things. The whole meaning of this forum would almost cease to exist if we were not allowed to ask like minded individuals questions.

If i'd ask something about an artist, I'd rather hear somebody else tell me about it than a long boring wikipedia article. 

Well said. Sometimes people ask questions, not just for a simple yes/no response but to hear other people's opinions and reasoning. If people can't start discussions on message boards then what the heck is a message board even for? 

Guest johneedeformed

yeah!

he's right. i have nothing better to do.

yeah! this too!

basically guys. if you have a vinyl related question. assume it has been discussed on these boards. use the search function. read an old thread, educate yourself. still have a question? bump that old thread.

"vinyl enthusiasts" are popping up everyday, it's the new cool thing to do i guess. so new members are popping up often posting the same questions & threads. so, yeah, peeps are gonna get dicky. myself included. common questions that could be answered with a simple google search, should be answered via that google search.

it's not an elitist thing, i consider it a common sense thing. last year i wanted to stretch my ears. didn't know 2 dicks about the stretching process, healing times, what to expect, how to know if i've damaged my ears, what to do if i did.... so i found a message board specializing in body mod, lurked it for 2 weeks, any questions i had, they had answers to already in existing threads. didn't even need to join those boards or post at all. in my mind, this is how ALL message boards should be approached. lurk, lurk, lurk, join in on the action when you're ready. gives you a chance to see if that's a website you'll actually check often or if it was a fleeting interest.

In my experience, most message boards have users who will post a polite response including a link to the previous thread(s) where the same discussion has occurred. But this forum's "elite" members aren't as helpful..