[PO] Deafheaven // Sunbather – 10 Year Remaster

Are people still calling this a black metal album?

What do you mean by still? Was anyone calling this a black metal album? The influences are there, but 30 seconds into Dream House should thwart any notion that you're listening to a trve record. Anyone who insists otherwise is stuck on the genre game, and ironically knows very little about them.

Right from the get-go, writers and critics have been calling DFHVN a black metal newgaze band. I am guilty of that on my first review of Roads to Judah even. ( See: http://www.the1stfive.com/reviews/deafheaven-roads-to-judah )

What happened is that everyone initially got caught on to the surface sounds of the music which are undeniably black metal and shoegaze all mixed in. But as you delve deeper it's something completely different. 

We all know how it goes, it's easy for anyone to categorize a band the lazy way. Step outside yourself and any music/band knowledge pretentiousness you may have and tell me what DFHVN sound like if I were a first-time listener. More than likely you'll say black metal with shoegaze mixed in. And keep simple that way. 

• Derek™ changed the title to [PO] Deafheaven // Sunbather – 10 Year Remaster