[PO] Deafheaven // Sunbather – 10 Year Remaster

Musical genres, categories/labels and other short-hands ('liberal' / 'Baptist' / 'Neo-Darwinist' etc.) are necessary as starting points for discussion with further clarification inevitable- just think about communication without them! But I agree with the sentiments above that when taken to the extreme of rigid pidgeon-holing, it will drive you crazy and you want to just start from scratch... but then the whole "Sounds LIke ______, but with these differences..." rears its ugly head.

That being said, besides the screeching vocals of USBM (unsuccessful bowel movement in medical lingo,  the US'BM' is quite interesting re: categories, and glad they don't burn churches and stuff), and loud, distortion/gain/overdrive/fuzztone guitars of nu-gaze, I hear a lot of the loud-soft/intense climax-resolution elements of post rock in Sunbather-- individual tracks and the album as a whole--per MisSigsFan above. 

Musical genres, categories/labels and other short-hands ('liberal' / 'Baptist' / 'Neo-Darwinist' etc.) are necessary as starting points for discussion with further clarification inevitable- just think about communication without them! But I agree with the sentiments above that when taken to the extreme of rigid pidgeon-holing, it will drive you crazy and you want to just start from scratch... but then the whole "Sounds LIke ______, but with these differences..." rears its ugly head.

That being said, besides the screeching vocals of USBM (unsuccessful bowel movement in medical lingo,  the US'BM' is quite interesting re: categories, and glad they don't burn churches and stuff), and loud, distortion/gain/overdrive/fuzztone guitars of nu-gaze, I hear a lot of the loud-soft/intense climax-resolution elements of post rock in Sunbather-- individual tracks and the album as a whole--per MisSigsFan above. 

You put it so eloquently.

Thanks, man. I wondered if too wordy, but I do enjoy discussing music - even the whole genre thing, as subjective as it all is.  

Gotta start somewhere  :)   (you do have to laugh a little  that Mogwai, GY!BE, Sigur Ros, EiTS, and Mono are the big 5 of 'Post Rock' as diverse as their sounds are, a massive amount of territory Post Rock covers and not many of the bands really like that 'label' at all) 

Well...the vocals too.

EDIT: Basically, take a band like Envy or Devil Sold His Soul, add blast beats and a bit more shoegaze, change the vocals to that high pitched scream, and you get the basics of Deafheaven.

The thing about the vocals is that they could really fit into a lot of genres. They aren't just definitively black metal.

In all honesty I view this album as practically an indie rock album.

What makes something "indie rock"? I really don't get that. And why is it even considered a sound?

The guitar progressions and chord washes remind me of some indie rock. Obviously it doesn't encapsulate the record perfectly, but I feel it fits better than black metal. But it's just me.

• Derek™ changed the title to [PO] Deafheaven // Sunbather – 10 Year Remaster