Fest 12

How much do you guys save up for this? I told myself I was going this year. Gimme some details kind sirs

i usually take 3 or $400. but i also buy tons of records at arrows aim, tampa, tampa pre-fest and whatever clothing while i'm there.

1st year festers:

a) when packing, pack light. guys, bring 1 or 2 shirts at the most. then your usual socks/shorts/deodorant/toothpaste. bringing clothes for every day you're there hampers any space you'll have when leaving. records/shirts/koozies, etc take up space and they tend to stack up quickly. you can wear the shit you buy there. everybody else does. the more space you have in your suitcase when you arrive, the better. i had to send half of my shit back in a box because i took too much and wound up leaving with like 30 lps and 7"s, 15 shirts, and mad backup of koozies. ask any fester how many records they leave with at the end of the weekend and it's probably more than some of your whole collections. 

B) don't go if you're one of those board members who doesn't like stage diving, crowd surfing, getting soaked in beer, or being touched or pushed. its' gonna happen at every show. if you don't like any of these things, stay in the back by the merch. this is fest, not some william elliott whitmore show. 

c) wear comfortable shoes. 

d) be prepared for strangers to hug you or for getting random high fives on the streets.

When deciding to get a room, you have a choice of a rental car and getting a cheap place out of the way and just driving in(or cab), or paying a premium cost and getting something in the vicinity. Holiday inn is quit expensive, but each room holds 4 occupants and is close to said festivities and across the street from leonardos (reminds me santiago, we need to go this year). i personally get a bed and breakfast mainly due to the fact that i don't like dealing with tons of drunks when i go back to my hotel room. it's cool at first but it gets annoying from time to time. i like going back to a quiet place and watching sportscenter and cooking something. for only about $40 extra (a person) we get a whole 1 bedroom apt with 4 beds, a living room, a kitchen and breakfast nook. and we get breakfast in the mornings and cheese and wine in the afternoon. and it's only a few blocks from where everything is located. 

e) depending of if you can catch a ride, fly into one of the close cities with a major airport like jacksonville or tampa. you'll save a shit ton of money doing so. and besides Tampa will have the pre-fests so you have that going for you too. There are tons of us who fly into one of those cities and can easily give you a ride, so as long as you dn't have to leave at 8am on monday. then you can just fuck off!!! 

f) get ready to eat lots of pizza. (5 star baby!!!!)

Also this is my own personal thing, but when at fest, at least one time, buy a fester you don't know a beer or a shot. i do this at least 2 or 3 times a year. someone did that for me 3 times the first year. figured i'd pay it forward and have been doing it ever since.  

B) don't go if you're one of those board members who doesn't like stage diving, crowd surfing, getting soaked in beer, or being touched or pushed. its' gonna happen at every show. if you don't like any of these things, stay in the back by the merch. this is fest, not some william elliott whitmore show. 

love this

or RVIVR ahahahahaha

Can we get some kind of list going for people who want to find people to share hotel rooms with and those who need a room?

I know I'm going by myself and would prollie like to share a room and hang with some of you cats

we have a spare spot if you want to go in with us on our bed n breakfast. me and jimmythescumbag room together every year with patrick and marc, but patrick isn't going and marc isn't sure he's going either (that may still be up in the air). our place is a modest 1 bedroom apt with a breakfast nook (which gets transformed into a makeshift bedroom), a living area (with cable), and kitchen. breakfast in the mornings too. and the people running it are awesome.

you people should get rooms there, so we can all hang. its slightly more expensive than holiday inn, but sooo much more relaxing. and it's a short walk to everything. far closer than the holiday, well unless you're walking to 1982 or the laboratory.