Second shift dudes and gals. HELP.

Get a different job? Nah but its just yourself to getting used to it. I used to work graveyard when I was younger and it took time getting used to sleeping during the day and being away at night.

Just set alarms at time you feel you should be waking up and start by staying up when you shouldn't be to change your sleep schedule.

Get a different job? Nah but its just yourself to getting used to it. I used to work graveyard when I was younger and it took time getting used to sleeping during the day and being away at night.

Just set alarms at time you feel you should be waking up and start by staying up when you shouldn't be to change your sleep schedule.

that I get. maybe I should clarify.

Is it best to go to sleep right after work and wake up, do normal people things then go to work?

this is just all new for me.

Ah ok. Yeah when I did grace yard I went sleep right when I got home. That way when you get up you can still do things before work. Again that was way of doing it.

You may find it better to do the opposite and do things first then sleep before work I just found it easier to sleep after work than before given the time

that I get. maybe I should clarify.

Is it best to go to sleep right after work and wake up, do normal people things then go to work?

this is just all new for me.

I voluntarily do a noon - 4am day.  depending on your job, I'd recommend taking a bit of down time after work before bed -- maybe find a tv show online that you can watch every night?  that's pretty much what I did over christmas break with dexter, breaking bad, and walking dead.

that said, I'm far from "normal" :)

It takes a while to get used to a new sleeping schedule. Google 'polyphasic sleep', which would be handy if you get a break at your new job. Basically involves having a power nap (or two, or more) at intervals during the day so that you don't need to sleep quite as much, therefore having more time to do other things when you get home.

I assume you are doing a physical job, I know that in the past you have mentioned something about being in the fabrication field or something like that.  Assuming I am right about that then there is no way you are going to get home and just be able to fall asleep within 30-45 minutes.  I'd say with you ending your shift at 1:30 assume that you'll get to sleep at about 3:30. 

I work second shift in manufacturing and there is no way I can unwind and just go to bed right after getting home.

My brother worked 12-8am as a dispatcher for 4 years before graduating to a day shift.  He would come home after 8, sleep until around 4 (if he didn't have any appointments or plans), then do normal people things until heading back to work at 12 midnight.  Now he's in the police academy so it paid off, haha.

I worked second shift for a year, which was 3-11pm. It was pretty great. I had just finished college six months prior so I basically just spent four years of not getting adequate sleep. It wasn't hard to transition.

Basically, I woke up 8 hours after I went to sleep. So, most nights around 3 AM, I'd get up the next day at 11 AM or noon. I had every Tuesday and every other weekend off, so I had to do six days straight which grew tiring though.

The only problem was, I didn't do anything Friday or Saturday nights because I got off work so late. Only on my weekend off.

I now work 8AM-4PM and wouldn't change it.

I used to work 7PM-3-5AM.  LOVED the schedule.  It was easy for me to adjust since that's actually what when my body wants to be awake and sleep.  I used to get out of work, hit the gym, chill out for about a hour and go to bed.  The best part about it, I never used a alarm.  Got to sleep in every single god damn day.

Now I wake up at 5am to be at work by 6:30 and I barely sleep now.  Just can't fall asleep before midnight regardless of how tired I am.

i work monday through friday 8 am to 330 pm and then on tuesdays through thursdays 5 pm to midnight.

on the days i work both jobs, i find it important to use monday to plan ahead food wise. cook up some chicken for the week and pick two days out of those 3 double days to work out.  go for a 15 minute run, a couple of quick body weight exercises, shower, eat then hit back out the door.  for me, working out prior to going into job 2 really helps boost my alertness during the 2nd shift.  then just make sure you don't eat anything late so you can fall asleep quickly as possible when you get home.  with that said, also avoid the internet.  i tend to still feel awake when i get home and knowing i will have to be up early, i try to read a book which usually knocks me out quickly.

I work second shift (3pm-11pm) and have for quite a few years. Personally I prefer it because I'm not a morning person and I have time to take care of errands and what not by noon. Try not to stay up late when you get off otherwise you'll sleep through the day. Try not to eat passed your scheduled lunch to prevent packing on extra pounds by sleeping with a full stomach. Prepare to feel left out if you don't have weekends off or liked going out on Friday :)