Beginner’s Guide to Turntables & Hi–Fi *READ 1st PAGE BEFORE POSTING NEW THREADS / BASIC QUESTIONS*

If you can dedicate two amps to the whole things it's be ideal. As in, one for records and the other for tv/movies.

You have to pay a pretty penny for a receiver that will make genuine stereo sound good.

Of course, that depends on the rest of your system.

i will only need the system for records. i dont own a TV.

i run a technics sl 1210 mk2 table, with a pro ject audio phono box dc. just looking for decent speakers and wondering if that will work, or a decent 5.1 system. i guess ill have to buy a receiver regardless? 

A 5.1 (AV) system isn't for stereo it's for films and as Jase says to get an AV system that does a good job of stereo is very expensive, it's the same with finding a DVD player that does a good job of CD's, they are just not designed for it.

If you want something for audio get something that was designed just for that not something that needs to do video as well.

Just get a decent amp (not receiver) and a decent pair of speakers and that is all you should need. Your 1210 and phono box are worthy of at least that.

A 5.1 (AV) system isn't for stereo it's for films and as Jase says to get an AV system that does a good job of stereo is very expensive, it's the same with finding a DVD player that does a good job of CD's, they are just not designed for it.

If you want something for audio get something that was designed just for that not something that needs to do video as well.

Just get a decent amp (not receiver) and a decent pair of speakers and that is all you should need. Your 1210 and phono box are worthy of at least that.

i see. so i would just need a pair of speakers, and not a subwoofer?

also, i would need a amp in ADDITION to my phono box? if i bought powered speakers, i would bypass the need for an amp, correct? 

thanks for all your advice and sorry i have so many questions! ive been running my set up with a 5.1 system my friend gave me and now i realize why it doesnt sound that great.

i see. so i would just need a pair of speakers, and not a subwoofer?

also, i would need a amp in ADDITION to my phono box? if i bought powered speakers, i would bypass the need for an amp, correct? 

thanks for all your advice and sorry i have so many questions! ive been running my set up with a 5.1 system my friend gave me and now i realize why it doesnt sound that great.

Both correct, yes.

And as allenh said, there really is no reason for a multichannel setup if your primary use is for music. Your ears deserve better. :)

As Slnch says both correct but a dedicated amp and speakers should give better results than powered speakers, all things are relative and as always this depends on the quality of the kit involved.

A subwoofer depends on personal taste but my own view is if you need one in a stereo (2 channel) system then your speakers are not doing their job properly or are too small for the job being asked of them.

In my 2 channel hifi system I have no subwoofer and would only consider one if the main speakers were tiny.

I have a subwoofer in my AV system so the explosions shake the windows but to be honest the main speakers in my AV system are big enough and ugly enough to handle the job on their own so the sub only does the really low down stuff and doesn't get a lot of work. 

You don't need to spend a bucket load of money just get something designed for the job and whatever you get set it up properly.

By properly I mean speaker position, amp and turntable position and decent cable connections, they don't need to be expensive cables just good enough with decent mechanical connections.

An average system properly sited and set up will usually sound better than an expensive one just thrown together unless a lot of luck is involved.

After that level you are into the law of diminishing returns in the quest for the perfect sound, addictive and wallet emptying!

I bought a pro-ject debut carbon off of amazon.com  

The high end was distorting a lot, after a lot of balancing and tracking, it was a little better, but still bad on the high end distortion.

STILL distorted after testing two sets of average quality speakers (probably bad speakers to everyone here): TEAC LS-MC80 and Yamaha NS-AP4400M

and 2 different receivers (just using the phono input) Technics SA-GX390 and JVC R-X350V

I am hesitant to get another carbon because of the issues I had right out of the box.  

Am I just missing something obvious that was causing the distortion?  

The cruddy set up I have now doesn't distort when playing CD or using AUX inputs (mp3 player, yuck)

I am contemplating the Denon DP-300F but I read everywhere that if you do, you'll WISH you'd have gotten a Carbon.

Up till now, I've had random vintage turntables, but they were the mid range/low range of their times and are not worth the cost of fixing.

I bought a pro-ject debut carbon off of amazon.com

The high end was distorting a lot, after a lot of balancing and tracking, it was a little better, but still bad on the high end distortion.

STILL distorted after testing two sets of average quality speakers (probably bad speakers to everyone here): TEAC LS-MC80 and Yamaha NS-AP4400M

and 2 different receivers (just using the phono input) Technics SA-GX390 and JVC R-X350V

I am hesitant to get another carbon because of the issues I had right out of the box.

Am I just missing something obvious that was causing the distortion?

The cruddy set up I have now doesn't distort when playing CD or using AUX inputs (mp3 player, yuck)

I am contemplating the Denon DP-300F but I read everywhere that if you do, you'll WISH you'd have gotten a Carbon.

Up till now, I've had random vintage turntables, but they were the mid range/low range of their times and are not worth the cost of fixing.

I had a similar problem when I first got my carbon, was able to tweak it to a point where it was tolerable, but still noticeable. After doing more research I realized it was the 2M Red cartridge. Everyone says that it's supposed to be very bright, and I don't know if there are just defective ones every once in a while, but on mine it was too bright for its own good. It was always slightly distorting on the high end.

Ended up switching the cartridge out for a Shure m97xe, which I had used previously, and never looked back. It's a more neutral (and therefore more accurate) cartridge in my opinion.

Thanks for the feedback. 

I hear so many great things about this turntable, and it seems to be the most referred on these boards.

However, I have heard similar issues of the cartridge causing high end distortion on other boards.

Then again, I've heard it's a great cartridge/needle? 

So maybe you and I just got a bad cartridge and or needle?

Maybe I didn't align the needle properly (though I hear it's supposed to be done, that's why it comes already on the tone arm?)

I'm wondering if I should give it another try.  

Unfortunately, I don't have an extra needle laying around to switch out to test if it's just the needle.

Anyone have opinions on the Denon?

Don't throw the baby out with the bath water, sounds like a setup issue.

Check the cartridge tracking weight/vta/tracking angle/bias/azimuth are correct, if they are change the cartridge. Some of those I don't think you can adjust on a Carbon but at least check them to give you a clue as to where the problem possibly is.

The beauty of a turntable is if you don't like the sound you can change the cartridge you don't need to replace the whole turntable if you don't want to.

Hey all, I'm looking to upgrade to a new turntable. I was looking at the U-Turn Orbit. I know I would need a pre-amp and they sell one on their site. What else would be required, sorry if this question is kinda silly. I would rather get good information and start making informed decisions, before wasting money. Thanks everyone.

Hey all, I'm looking to upgrade to a new turntable. I was looking at the U-Turn Orbit. I know I would need a pre-amp and they sell one on their site. What else would be required, sorry if this question is kinda silly. I would rather get good information and start making informed decisions, before wasting money. Thanks everyone.

Look at the first page of this thread. All the information you need is there.

I posted the below on another thread where a VCer was asking about vintage turntables, amps and phono pre's so hopefully some of the points might clear it up for you.

"This has all been said many times on this board so have a look around for more inspiration but some generic points to look for are:

The sort of pre  you are talking about is a phono pre. A turntable gives out a different signal to a CD player or radio tuner or tape deck, and most modern amplifiers now don't have a phono pre built in

With an amp/receiver it will have a choice that says phono on the front and rca sockets on the back labelled phono if it has a built in phono pre.

Heavy for it's size is good in amp, speakers and turntable.

When we talk about an amp we are talking about a thing called an integrated amp which has its main pre (CD/Tape etc.) and power stages in the same box.

A receiver is an integrated amplifier and radio tuner in the same box

For hifi 2 speakers is all you need

An amp or receiver that has connections for more than just 2 pairs of left and right speakers and has an output for a centre speaker and or subwoofer is referred to as anything .1 so 5.1 or 7.1 etc  and is for audio visual use for DVD's etc.

It is not ideal for listening to records but will do the job.

Computer speakers are not hifi

anything with USB in it's name is bad.

With any of those turntables you can either go:

Older amplifier or receiver with phono preamp built in to speakers

separate phono pre amp to more modern amp to speakers

phono pre amp to speakers with built in amplifiers.

Personally I would go for the 1st or 2nd option but it depends on your budget and what is available.

Hopefully I haven't overloaded you with too much info but there are a million choices out there and many of them wrong.

Always spend what you are comfortable with and think about being able to upgrade if you want to further down the line.

Also remember it's not difficult to build up a very expensive collection of records in a short space of time and they are perishable so what you play them on and through is very important."

^^^ Spot on. The idea of records being perishable is my main argument for why people should not cheap out on a first turntable. It's too easy to ruin your vinyl by playing it through a cartridge with woefully inaccurate tracking force and alignment. It's even worse when people like me buy used records and take a listen only to find that the highs are scratchy and ruined.

Hello everyone, interested in getting some feedback.

Building my first hifi. As many, trying to maximize sound in a budget minded manner.

I have:

a pair of Monitor Audio Silver Rx2's (open box, paid $550)

Musical Fidelity V90 LPS Phono preamp (open box, paid $199)

I am waiting on a u-turn orbit plus with acrylic platter and grado blue cart

I want to upgrade to a true integrated amp (currently using my marantz slimline reciever and know this is not ideal). I am considering the NAD316BEE

Thoughts on the U-turn? Thoughts on the NAD316BEE?

If I'm all in for

Monitor Audio silver Rx2's. 550

Musical Fidelity v90lps. 200

U-turn plus with grado blue 360

NAD 316BEE 380

TOTAL. $1,490. USD

Could I do any better with anything else in the under $1,500 range????

Those Speakers and phono stage can cope with much much better kit.

You might be better spending your money on higher end 2nd hand kit certainly with the turntable anyway.

I've not heard the U-turn but looking at other reviews and opinions it's nowhere near the level you can drive into a V90 LPS and the NAD 316 is perfectly good but not at the level of either your phono stage or speakers.

I'm in the UK so can't really suggest what would be the cost effective choice as what is cost effective over here isn't always the same over there so hopefully someone in the US can chime in with some suggestions but if you were over here in the UK I would point you at 2nd hand turntables like the Pink Triangle's, later Systemdeks, better Aristons, maybe a cheaper LP12 if you can find one, a Thorens like a TD160B that doesn't use the Thorens arm, one of the Rega's RP3 upwards or something like that.

Your choices will work but there is a hell of a lot of good kit out there that cost a fortune in the late 80's and 90's that is still way better than the same money will buy you new.

So I said earlier in this thread I was gonna get a Rega RP3 I still want to but my issue is, I don't have a whole lot of room in my dorm for my setup. I'm pretty limited in terms of space and was curious if its even worth getting if essentially I only have room for the turntable and small speakers. I won't have room until a move out which won't be for up to another year. Should I get the rp3 even though Ill have a pretty weak limiting factor holding It back ?

Yes it is worth it.

You will effectively have what sounds like very nice sounding headphones, the only downside is when you move into a bigger room you will miss the effect.

I have a little system on my desk that is made up of good quality kit and because I am so close to it even at very low volume it is very detailed sounding.

Not really

Whatever you can afford, just make sure all the bits in the chain are of similar quality.

Not sure what your budget is but the Marantz quoted at the opening of this thread is a good start as are the various speakers quoted, go back through the thread and you will see the same bits of kit appearing over and over.

There are quite a few good equipment threads on this board and all have merit so have a good read and read some more than once as there is a lot of seemingly conflicting information but after a while you should see some patterns.

Get a range of kit you like in a list and then go shopping for the best deal.