Beginner’s Guide to Turntables & Hi–Fi *READ 1st PAGE BEFORE POSTING NEW THREADS / BASIC QUESTIONS*

Based on what just happened here, I'd like people to consider giving really bad or funny questions, and the people who ask them a break if, and only if, the post is made in this thread. This thread was created for beginners and upgrading for people who need help. If they use this thread, let's give them a break.

If these are real questions, the guy obviously knows nothing. So he needs some real help.

I'm only in high school and currently don't have the money for a $500 audio setup. I currently have everything figured out except for the speakers. After I get a pre amp in the mail I'll test the speakers and see if they work. If not its back to the thrift store to try and find some more.

I'm only in high school and currently don't have the money for a $500 audio setup. I currently have everything figured out except for the speakers. After I get a pre amp in the mail I'll test the speakers and see if they work. If not its back to the thrift store to try and find some more.

Dude, what you are asking about has NOTHING to with money. You posted pictures of two different speakers asking if you can use them together. The answer is no.

A simple rule with a pair of speakers is that they are just that a pair.

and simply speakers for AV (audio visual) can come in sets of 3 or 5 or 7 or sometimes more. where there will be a centre the larger of the ones you have, then front left/front right, rear left/rear right, centre left/centre right and probably a sub woofer to make the windows shake and your fillings fall out.

for records which means ideally hifi you need an amplifier that connects to one pair of speakers (possibly 2 pairs if has a switch that says A, B, both)

for AV which is for making the bangs on the telly shake the windows and the axe murderer walk up behind you in the scary film you want an AV amp that connects to as many speakers as possible.

the stuff you are looking for at the thrift store will have been made in the 70's or 80's, possibly 90's and in the case of the amps or receivers will either be silver probably with some wood on the sides or black, it won't have a cd drive, a dvd drive, a tape deck or an 8 track built in but it will have an input that says phono.

you can run a turntable into an AV system with a phono amp but it is not what it was intended for and won't do a very good job of it.

AV is for shaking windows and scary noises and hifi is for nice musical sounds and neither should be used fro the others purpose

Hi Guys,

I'm looking for some input on a few things i plan on purchasing over the next few months.  i would like all components to be white to match other electronics in the room.   I have already decided on the turntable i want Project Debut Carbon White.   I will need bookshelf speakers and have narrowed them down to KEF Q300 WH or Dali-Zensor 1 WH.  I'm leaning towards the KEF ones only like the Dali as it would save me a bit of cash.  And as a amp Marantz PM6003.  Is their anything else i would need for that set up?  Would that work together?  Sorry im a newb when it comes to this but i am open to any help.  

Hi Guys,

I'm looking for some input on a few things i plan on purchasing over the next few months.  i would like all components to be white to match other electronics in the room.   I have already decided on the turntable i want Project Debut Carbon White.   I will need bookshelf speakers and have narrowed them down to KEF Q300 WH or Dali-Zensor 1 WH.  I'm leaning towards the KEF ones only like the Dali as it would save me a bit of cash.  And as a amp Marantz PM6003.  Is their anything else i would need for that set up?  Would that work together?  Sorry im a newb when it comes to this but i am open to any help.  

Hey those would definitely work together. I just put my new set up together of similar components-

Pro-Ject Debut Carbon white, Marantz PM6004, and Epos Epic 1s.

Looks great, sounds even better :)

Hey those would definitely work together. I just put my new set up together of similar components-

Pro-Ject Debut Carbon white, Marantz PM6004, and Epos Epic 1s.

Looks great, sounds even better :)

Sweet so it seems like the turntable and the amp are a go.  I also meant the PM6004 but hit 3 in the dark.  Just got to figure out on the speakers and hope that i can get a black friday steal on some of this.  

• 2 weeks later...

In my opinion, no. The RP3 is an absolute winner. That is if you're buying new.

If you go used, there are some better options, BUT there's always risk, and it really helps if you are handy with audio equipment, because you're usually on your own. When you buy new, the store will do pretty much everything for you, so it's just plug and play.

In my opinion, no. The RP3 is an absolute winner. That is if you're buying new.

If you go used, there are some better options, BUT there's always risk, and it really helps if you are handy with audio equipment, because you're usually on your own. When you buy new, the store will do pretty much everything for you, so it's just plug and play.

+1

Im looking to get a new turntable my price range would be 800-1000 possibly and was taking a look at the rega rp3, is there anything out there that is better for the same price or possibly cheaper?

Are you considering a new cartridge as well? If so, a new RP3 maybe over budget.

And if $1000 is you top w/o cart, I would suggest you consider this, as well:

VPI - Traveler

http://www.soundstagedirect.com/vpi-traveler-first-generation-black-b-stock-turntables.shtml

I'm not sure what the difference is between first generation and second, but I would assume it is small changes and refinements like VPI does with all their tables.

Via audiogon:

04-26-13: Mezzanine

Below is VPI's response from my email asking them a few questions about some changes made to the version 2 Traveler.

1- The arm was changed to incorporate longer pins on the bearings so when the arm froze in UPS it would not come apart. They do not come apart in your home, even the old ones. Actually as we found out most arm bearings were broken because customers tried to rotate the counterweight instead of the adjustment thumbscrew in the rear!!! 

2- The mat was changed because the new one sounds better. It is removable.

3- The logo was moved because of all the complaints of it in the front - we can't please anyone with this one.

4- The price increase is due to the inclusion of a 60 HZ generating power supply for much better sound and speed control. The Traveler now has a small SDS power supply built in.

Number 5 and 6 are my own additional remarks: The paint for the different colors is no longer a gloss finish but more of a matte finish. Number 6, the feet are no longer made of metal but made of rubber. This might make the sound a little warmer and help with vibration. Hope this helps! Tom

Stupid question, but what causes the cartridge to move in a left to right motion on some records, kinda like it's swaying? It doesn't change the sound from what I notice and only occurs on certain records, not every single one. This makes me think it's more to do with the record itself than the setup of the turntable, but I figure I'd ask.

I have a Technics 1200 and an Ortofon OM Pro cartridge, which I plan on replacing in the near future after the holidays but that's a discussion for a whole different topic.

Thanks!

I'd read that in a few other places, but just wanted to make sure. Will this cause the record to wear down any quicker than one that wasn't off center?

I guess I'm also lucky because the only particular record that actually sounds different as a result is a Jimmy Eat World 7".

Think about it, of course it causes it to wear unevenly. Anytime it changes direction, it will have had to stop moving in the first direction. that means that an extra amount of resistance would have had to have been applied, thus wearing the record. It can also wear your stylus unevenly as well. I wouldn't worry too much about it, though, as there's nothing you can do about it (except not play the record), and depending on the severity of the sway, it will take a lot of listens before that wear will become audible.

Hi friends, new kid here. Please don't bite.

The OP suggests the Yamaha A-S300 as a very low-end receiver with phono. I don't have an exorbitant budget, so I was looking at the Yamaha R-S300BL as an option. Is there any reason why this wouldn't be an acceptable receiver? I live in a 3-room (not bedroom, ROOM) apartment so I don't need it to be loud or large.

Am I correct in my understanding that if I were to get this receiver (or the A-S300) I would not need a phono preamp?

Thank you.