Beginner’s Guide to Turntables & Hi–Fi *READ 1st PAGE BEFORE POSTING NEW THREADS / BASIC QUESTIONS*

If the receivers are AV ones, i.e they have more than 2 channels then avoid them for hifi use as that's not what they were made for and hifi would always be a compromise for them.

Your idea of an integrated amp is always the best choice as this is what it's intended for and receivers having a tuner built in can induce noise that isn't present in something that's job is just to amplify an audio signal.

Going vintage can be good and bad, there is a lot of very good and in its day very good vintage kit out there for not a lot of money but unless you know it's been very well looked after and is electronically in very good condition do not pay over the odds. I personally buy and try a lot of vintage kit but have the luxury of being able to repair and service most of it.

Above all the golden rule is buy with your ears.

I have a technics 2.1 channel amp with a built in phono stage.....I feel with the debut carbon and 2M red im cheating myself out of sound qaulity by using the in built phono stage.......in saying that I have never really had anything to compare it to as no one else I know really gets into the hobby

Will throwing a phono stage in make a world of difference? Im thinking about spending $150-300ish

Also for somw reason im very attached to the amp....had it for years and its not the best but I dig it

Depends how old the amp is, in the heyday of vinyl the built in phono stage on most half decent amps would have been better than a lot of the average phono stage today, but as the need to add a phono stage waned the quality dropped accordingly. Technics held onto phono stages for longer than most for obvious reasons but how good they are in the later amps I don't know.

The lower end Project phono stages I have heard I wasn't impressed with but this will depend on the amp the phono stage is feeding, if the amp is average an average phono will be more than fine but if the amp is a bit higher up the food chain then it will show up the phono amps deficiencies.

This is always true in any chain of hifi of course, the system is as good as the weakest component.

I felt like this thread needed a new title.

nice change...well played

Depends how old the amp is, in the heyday of vinyl the built in phono stage on most half decent amps would have been better than a lot of the average phono stage today, but as the need to add a phono stage waned the quality dropped accordingly. Technics held onto phono stages for longer than most for obvious reasons but how good they are in the later amps I don't know.

The lower end Project phono stages I have heard I wasn't impressed with but this will depend on the amp the phono stage is feeding, if the amp is average an average phono will be more than fine but if the amp is a bit higher up the food chain then it will show up the phono amps deficiencies.

This is always true in any chain of hifi of course, the system is as good as the weakest component.

yeh sweet, thanks for the info, will have a look into specifics and may grab a new phono box at some point to see how much a difference it will make 

Well there's one essential thing missing: an amplifier. Can you stretch another $300? If not, ditch the Pioneers and buy some active sperakers, then you don't need an amp.

Something like these: http://www.amazon.com/Audioengine-Premium-Powered-Desktop-Speakers/dp/B000VKEFN2/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1388219610&sr=8-4&keywords=audioengine

Why $300? There are surely options that cost less that still deliver value... I'd prefer passive speakers over active, but then again, we're talking money. Surely not $300 for just the amp though? (Speaking strictly from a budget, not thousands of dollars setup)

If you're buying new, that's the minimum. Sure, there are amps and receivers that cost less, but the performance they offer is so sub-par, it defeats the purpose of buying a Pro-Ject table (in the case of the guy I was responding to) altogether. For a $150 receiver you might as well use a crosley, it wouldn't make much difference.

Of course, there are many solid options under $300 on the second hand market.

If you're buying new, that's the minimum. Sure, there are amps and receivers that cost less, but the performance they offer is so sub-par, it defeats the purpose of buying a Pro-Ject table (in the case of the guy I was responding to) altogether. For a $150 receiver you might as well use a crosley, it wouldn't make much difference.

Of course, there are many solid options under $300 on the second hand market.

slinch is a firm believer in the significance of quality receivers. to each their own!

Actually, I'm a firm "believer" that receivers have no place in a music-oriented setup.

I don't have to believe though, belief is for those who cannot experience first hand.

Agreed on more than one level, putting a radio reception device in the same box as an amplifier makes it very difficult for that amplifier to reject the unwanted RF signals from the radio reception device. And receivers are generally multi speakers which are great for what they were intended for i.e the noises made in a film but sadly music is a secondary function for them.

I don't have to believe though, belief is for those who cannot experience first hand.

I like this guy.

So my question, does it defeat the purpose of buying the budget listed options on the U Turn page along with the Orbit if all you've been listening to music on is the Devil's penis, the LP60? (Hey, I upgraded the stylus...)

this is probably a stupid question, but would this cartridge fit on my Technics SL-1210MK2?

http://www.amazon.com/Technica-AT440MLA-Dual-Moving-Magnet-Cartridge/dp/B00009MK3A/ref=pd_rhf_ee_s_cp_5_RYP3?ie=UTF8&refRID=1H9A0CX6GTVVJSQ050H0

been looking for a good upgrade and i think i might have settled on that one. unless someone had a better suggestion? 

i'll always swear by this one: http://www.amazon.com/Shure-M97xE-High-Performance-Magnetic-Cartridge/dp/B00006I5SB/ref=pd_cp_e_0

a lot of people aren't aware of shure's amazing warranty either. if you send in a broken cartridge or stylus within two years (with receipt) they'll replace it for free. 

I really wish I had the money to buy at least a decent set up.  Realistically, I can't see that happening until I'm through university which sucks.  Anyways, props to slinch for such an in depth guide.  I will definitely look to this if the day of purchasing an awesome set up ever comes.

I really wish I had the money to buy at least a decent set up.  Realistically, I can't see that happening until I'm through university which sucks.  Anyways, props to slinch for such an in depth guide.  I will definitely look to this if the day of purchasing an awesome set up ever comes.

I graduated from college (university) in 2008 and im still broke as shit. I pieced mine together very slowly. not that my set up is GREAT but its better than it used to be. the only thing i bought new were speakers and the TT itself. the receiver and tape deck were used. all in all im very happy with my set up considering i have very little disposable income. if you do it right and really search, you can build a good setup for very little cost. i think total, my set up right now cost me about 750...and my tape deck was free.