Beginner’s Guide to Turntables & Hi–Fi *READ 1st PAGE BEFORE POSTING NEW THREADS / BASIC QUESTIONS*

alright guys and girls. I have read this whole thread and absolutely love it. Just recently got back into vinyl after having nothing but vinyl when I was a kid growing up, then of course I went the way of cassette and cd.

Just briefly, I am rocking a pair of JBL Century L100's which I love. They are the foundation of my system. I currently have a vintage Kenwood KR-8050 receiver. The tuner puts out beautiful sounds. I really want to keep the receiver for the tuner since I do enjoy listening to the radio every so often. The tt is a different story.  Currently have a borrowed Technics SL-QL 15. The sound that it produces can only be described as flat. So, I am looking at making a tt purchase in the next month or so. A Rega RP 3 would be stretching my budget to the max. I am also looking at the Music Hall MMF 5.1. I have not seen many opinions on the MMF. Looking for some input/opinions please...thanks in advance

alright guys and girls. I have read this whole thread and absolutely love it. Just recently got back into vinyl after having nothing but vinyl when I was a kid growing up, then of course I went the way of cassette and cd.

Just briefly, I am rocking a pair of JBL Century L100's which I love. They are the foundation of my system. I currently have a vintage Kenwood KR-8050 receiver. The tuner puts out beautiful sounds. I really want to keep the receiver for the tuner since I do enjoy listening to the radio every so often. The tt is a different story.  Currently have a borrowed Technics SL-QL 15. The sound that it produces can only be described as flat. So, I am looking at making a tt purchase in the next month or so. A Rega RP 3 would be stretching my budget to the max. I am also looking at the Music Hall MMF 5.1. I have not seen many opinions on the MMF. Looking for some input/opinions please...thanks in advance

With a turntable there are a lot of things that influence the sound, you are probably right about your Technics sounding flat but you do have to take the on board phono stage in your receiver and the cartridge you are using into account as well some other less influential things.

Yes, I did realize that. I am a little concerned about the phono stage for the receiver. I did have a Ion hooked up at one time(gasp) before I knew better and it sounded about the same, flat...which makes me think that maybe I should get a project carbon and a integrated amp instead of dropping a load on the Rega RP3..

So I was pretty positive about purchasing the pro-ject debut III and just realized that the turntable itself is not 12", but 10". Although that's not a big deal at all, it just doesn't really fit to my personal visual preferences. I've read that the debut III E has is 12", but it comes with an automatic system and I am not into that either. Do any of you have recommendations on an alternative which might fit to the look and price of the debut III, but with a 12" turntable? 

So I was pretty positive about purchasing the pro-ject debut III and just realized that the turntable itself is not 12", but 10". Although that's not a big deal at all, it just doesn't really fit to my personal visual preferences. I've read that the debut III E has is 12", but it comes with an automatic system and I am not into that either. Do any of you have recommendations on an alternative which might fit to the look and price of the debut III, but with a 12" turntable?

I'm having trouble following you: what about the Debut is 10'' in your opinion? The body of the turntable?

I get that, but I am having trouble understanding what he means: does he mean that the Debut is a 10'' wide turntable, so that when you play a 12'' it hangs over on the side? If that is what he means, then that is clearly not the case.

That is exactly what I mean. I've seen pictures of the debut iii which suggested that 12" records would hanger over the side about 2". I am not sure if that is the case, since I have only seen pictures online. Also not sure if it's the same with the debut carbon or any other models. So you say that is wrong and the turntable of the debut iii is indeed 12"? Then there would be no problem at all!

That is exactly what I mean. I've seen pictures of the debut iii which suggested that 12" records would hanger over the side about 2". I am not sure if that is the case, since I have only seen pictures online. Also not sure if it's the same with the debut carbon or any other models. So you say that is wrong and the turntable of the debut iii is indeed 12"? Then there would be no problem at all!

The platter on a Debut III is 12'', so the chassis of the turntable is even larger.

This is from the product page (found here: http://www.project-audio.com/main.php?prod=debut)

Depth (lid open) 400mm

Height (lid open) 370mm

Dimensions (lid open) 415 x 365 x 405mm Width Height Depth

Dimensions (lid closed) 415 x 118 x 320mm

Thanks a lot mate. Clears things up perfectly. Ordering soon!

Edit:

Damnit I am not through with this. Just read an amazon review and some guy mentioned that he changed the standard 10" platter to a 12" acrylic platter. 

Here it is:

http://www.amazon.com/review/R106N5IAEQHIOS/ref=cm_cr_dp_title?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B001FUIQN2&nodeID=172282&store=electronics

Edited by Eliminator Jr.

Thanks a lot mate. Clears things up perfectly. Ordering soon!

Edit:

Damnit I am not through with this. Just read an amazon review and some guy mentioned that he changed the standard 10" platter to a 12" acrylic platter. 

Here it is:

http://www.amazon.com/review/R106N5IAEQHIOS/ref=cm_cr_dp_title?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B001FUIQN2&nodeID=172282&store=electronics

Again, I''ll point you towards the product page on the Pro-ject website:

Platter weight/diameter 1,3kg/280mm

so It's pretty clear that this guy is talking nonsense.

So I finally figured out what the damn problem is. The platter is 28cm, 12" records are 30cm. I know most people don't give a damn about those 2cm of vinyl hanging over the platter, but to me that's kinda off-putting. Oh well..

Thanks for all your help man

So I finally figured out what the damn problem is. The platter is 28cm, 12" records are 30cm. I know most people don't give a damn about those 2cm of vinyl hanging over the platter, but to me that's kinda off-putting. Oh well..

Thanks for all your help man

Save yourself the trouble, a Crosley might be a good option for you.

Save yourself the trouble, a Crosley might be a good option for you.

It's not that I solely care about visual components of a turntable dude, I just want things to be right for me. What's the point of paying 300 bucks for a turntable that I don't enjoy putting my records on. 

It's not that I solely care about visual components of a turntable dude, I just want things to be right for me. What's the point of paying 300 bucks for a turntable that I don't enjoy putting my records on. 

It seems to me that mesi either doesn't get what you're talking about, or doesn't know that you're right.

The Debut III does in fact come with a 10" platter, not the 12" one. However, the Debut III Carbon comes with a 12" platter, a better tonearm and a better cart, and is overall more than worth the extra cost. There's also a Debut III Esprit, which comes with a 12" acrylic platter.

I too think the 10" platter looks ridiculous, but I'm not even sure if that old model is even still available here in Europe. Here's the one you want: http://www.hifi-phono-house.com/Turntables/Pro-Ject-Turntable/Serie-Debut/Pro-Ject-Carbon-Premium-Plattenspieler--13306.html

Actually, here they sell the Carbon DC version (upgraded motor basically) and you have many different options as to which cart you want to put on it: http://www.phonophono.de/phono/plattenspieler/pro-ject/pro-ject-debut-carbon.html

If you go with the OM10 cart it's 346,80 €, if you choose the 2M Red it totals 396,80 €.

Or the Esprit version which adds a 100 € acrylic platter for only 50 € more: http://www.phonophono.de/phono/plattenspieler/pro-ject/debut/pro-ject-debut-carbon-esprit.html

If you go with the standard platter, take into consideration that the felt slipmats are really horrible, they produce lots of static and cling to the records when you take them off. The only solution is a different slipmat, but that will cost you at least 25 €. The acrylic platter gets rid of the necessity for a slipmat altogether, so you really need to calculate which option is the best bang for buck. 

Actually, here they sell the Carbon DC version (upgraded motor basically) and you have many different options as to which cart you want to put on it: http://www.phonophono.de/phono/plattenspieler/pro-ject/pro-ject-debut-carbon.html

If you go with the OM10 cart it's 346,80 €, if you choose the 2M Red it totals 396,80 €.

Thanks a lot for the help! That' around 100€ more than I expected, but I'm in if it's worth it. I am looking for a cartridge that minimizes inner groove distortion, since I was having problems with that on multiple occasions over the years. Which cart would you suggest?

I completely understand what he is talking about, but I just want to reassure him that it isn't half as bad as he is making it out to be. Point in case, I have a Debut iii Esprit, so the one with the acrylic platter. Platter dimensions are 280mm, just like the platter of the regular Debut (Can we agree on this?). My records are definitely not "hanging over" the side of platter at all, if so then only by a mere few mm.

I'll post pics in a few minutes so you get my point.

I'll post pics in a few minutes so you get my point.

That would be great,thanks! As I said, I am not sure if it is nearly as bad as I am making it out to be, since all I've seen are crappy pictures that didn't clarify anything to me concerning the platter at all. It just looks like at least 2cm of a 12" would hang over the platter.

Platter dimensions are 280mm, just like the platter of the regular Debut (Can we agree on this?). 

Nah man, the acrylic platter measures 12" in diameter, the platter on the standard Debut measures 10" in diameter. But like I said, I don't think they even sell them anymore.

Here's a video that kind of illustrates the "overhang" on the standard Debut 10" platter:

It's tough to see, but once you see it it's hard to miss :)

Edit: here's a pic that kind of succeeds in showing this:

8460431713_b5fc05cb21_b.jpg

and here's one with the acrylic platter:

turntable_new.jpg

the difference is quite obvious.