SamSung Galaxy S4 vs iPhone 5 (Verizon)

This.  I screw around with other people's iPhones to check out its capabilities and hand it back terribly disappointed.  Just way too limited and basic for the things I've found I can do with my Nexus.

Nexus is drugs.  Love mine too.  

I had the the 3G, the 3GS, and the 4.  None of them hold a candle to my Galaxy Nexus.  And I'm multi-Mac owner/user.

That said, I like OS X with all its linux-like nature but I cannot abide iOS.  It seems like to do any function it's twelve taps to do the same thing Jelly Bean does with one swipe/gesture.

I'm a huge HTC fan/Android fan and I had followed the One closely after it was announced. I've held one and if you like iPhones for their constuction/build quality/feel, but you like Android, then the HTC One is the phone for you. The phone is gorgeous and it is a BEAST under the "hood".

If you're already an Android user, I would not recommend going into an iPhone, as you would most definitely hate it.  I work at Sprint, and though the iPhone 5 is a pretty solid phone, those who are used to Android tend to return the iPhone when switching to OSX because of how limited it is compared to Android.  Overall, I recommend the HTC One right now. 

This.  I screw around with other people's iPhones to check out its capabilities and hand it back terribly disappointed.  Just way too limited and basic for the things I've found I can do with my Nexus.

Totally. I hold that iPhone for a couple seconds and it's just so..."this is it?"

The top model Androids are like a high tech gadget tool combined with a mobile computer in your hands. Even some of the "i" loyal co-workers I have say they like the Android models a lot, adding that the camera on the S3 is fantastic. 

I'm so used to my big screen I'm not sure how people even read what their iPhones say...

Totally. I hold that iPhone for a couple seconds and it's just so..."this is it?"

The top model Androids are like a high tech gadget tool combined with a mobile computer in your hands. Even some of the "i" loyal co-workers I have say they like the Android models a lot, adding that the camera on the S3 is fantastic. 

I'm so used to my big screen I'm not sure how people even read what their iPhones say...

I must be getting older because I think I can use an even larger screen than the Nexus that I currently have.  I might be going the route of the phablet sooner than later.

So based on what you said before I think you answered the question for yourself when you said you don't use your phone for anything but text, and calls basically, and use the iPod touch for everything else.  Sounds like you'd be extremely happy with the iPhone 5.  

I am however in the same boat as you and I have to say your experience with Android was flawed from the start, your issue is your phone specifically.  I have the Droid Bionic and its just a terrible phone however with the recent Jelly Bean update its a lot better than it was.  However I feel you on the issues of this phone.  I too have considering the same S4 or iPhone whatever is out when I decide, but I'm leaning towards the S4 since the almost 2 years since the Bionic was released I feel like the technology has just improved.

My wife has the Samsung Galaxy Nexus and she absolutely loves the thing so much so she's not planning on getting a new phone.  If by any chance the HTC One ever made it to Verizon I would probably grab that over the S4 though.  Ultimately its up to you but I think your poor experience with the Bionic is just leaving a bad taste in your mouth for all of Android which it should but I think/know Android is so much better than what the Bionic offers.

I've had the S3 since August '12, I think. Around that time, anyways...this is the first phone I'm content with having for the 2 year contract  There are enough customization to keep my busy for a while. Also, the amount of technology crammed in this thing will keep it current enough for a 2 year span. 

• 1 month later...

iPhone > everything else. I can never understand why people want giant droid phones.

Guess you're not accustom to carrying anything of considerable size in your pants ;) ZING!

Enjoy your fugly Easter icons and folders!

aHRqklO.jpeg

anyone with an s4, have you had any issues with your camera failing? how do I fix this?

Did a quick search on XDA for ya. Seems like the Camera needs a firmware upgrade (check About Device in your settings for any OTA updates first). If that doesn't do anything you can flash this fix:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2302804

Note that you will need to root your device, but having an unrooted Android device is like riding a bike with training wheels!

Guess you're not accustom to carrying anything of considerable size in your pants ;) ZING!

Enjoy your fugly Easter icons and folders!

aHRqklO.jpeg

Did a quick search on XDA for ya. Seems like the Camera needs a firmware upgrade (check About Device in your settings for any OTA updates first). If that doesn't do anything you can flash this fix:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2302804

Note that you will need to root your device, but having an unrooted Android device is like riding a bike with training wheels!

What are you running? Device, ROM, kernal...

Bonestock is very similar to regular stock without all the bloat and useless crap. Basically it's a drastically cleaned/souped up version of the original OS. I suggest flashing the corresponding AOSP theme over it.

I've never understood using AOSP themes on touchwiz roms.  Why don't you just use an AOSP rom?

I've never understood using AOSP themes on touchwiz roms. Why don't you just use an AOSP rom?

Because there are several Touchwiz features I regularly use that would be removed if I used something like CM10.1.

The only lacking feature I'd want from an AOSP ROM is cLock, but giving up usability for a widget is dumb as hell if you ask me. Besides, who's to say there won't be a 4.2.2. TW OTA someday?

Because there are several Touchwiz features I regularly use that would be removed if I used something like CM10.1.

The only lacking feature I'd want from an AOSP ROM is cLock, but giving up usability for a widget is dumb as hell if you ask me. Besides, who's to say there won't be a 4.2.2. TW OTA someday?

True that makes sense. I'm genuinely curious though, what TW features do you like?

True that makes sense. I'm genuinely curious though, what TW features do you like?

Off the top of my head tugging the statusbar down when using fullscreen apps, motion dialing from contacts/messenger, swipe to dial, palm to mute, swipe to screencap, saying 'cheese' to snap photos handsfree, smartstay, and NFC has always been a little funky on AOSP ROMs in my experiences.

• 4 months later...

PM'd you, Rambo. :)

I was persuaded into the S4 Active and I really love it, except I don't understand ANY of the things that it does.  For example on the top of this page when you guys were talking about TouchWIz and NFC.... no clue, haha.

I use the Nova launcher which is glitchy from time to time, and I think it took away a lot of the motion features that the phone is known for, so I haven't decided what to do about that since I like a more simpler look to my phone that I can accomplish using the launcher.  The only other thing I've really done is that touching the phones together to send photos haha. Which is really cool.