Kanye West -Yeezus

A la Radiohead? Don't think that would be an option with Def Jam holding the rights.

they did that and are on record of completely regretting it, another group did that, maybe NIN I think, and they said the vast majority of people chose not give a penny for the album (with the pay what you feel structure)

hip hop fans BY FAR illegally download more then any other fan base, Def Jam isn't going to let Kanye give out shit for free, especially after the cost they've already spent for promoting this album.  All the $$$ for the projections worldwide and who knows how much the album itself cost to make

at the end of the day, I don't give a damn how he releases it, just release it on vinyl 

they did that and are on record of completely regretting it, another group did that, maybe NIN I think, and they said the vast majority of people chose not give a penny for the album (with the pay what you feel structure)

I gotta ask your source for that info. To my recollection the only regret Radiohead had was that the servers crashed a lot early on because of overwhelming demand. Don't think Trent regretted it either. He's always been pretty good to his fans.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/3/4/4054634/musics-pay-what-you-want-pioneers-sour-on-giving-away-songs

This is the article, and I was right, NIN was the other band

In 2008, Reznor financed a similar song giveaway as Radiohead’s for rapper Saul Williams. After the results were in, Reznor said he was "disheartened" that only 18 percent of the more than 150,000 people who downloaded Williams’ songs chose to pay for them.

again, hip hop fans are far and away biggest illegal downloaders of all genres, it's just the way it is

I think you need to re-read that article and the links to the direct interviews. Thom was in no way complaining about some people not paying anything. You have to read beyond the headline. And it wasnt NIN, it was Saul's "Niggy Tardust" album. Trent is renowned to leak stuff purposely.

I will agree that rap/hip hop is the most pirated material.

I think you need to re-read that article and the links to the direct interviews. Thom was in no way complaining about some people not paying anything. You have to read beyond the headline. And it wasnt NIN, it was Saul's "Niggy Tardust" album. Trent is renowned to leak stuff purposely.

I will agree that rap/hip hop is the most pirated material.

I did re-read it and stand corrected on some of the points I made, but they are both still against pay-what-you-want method

I did re-read it and stand corrected on some of the points I made, but they are both still against pay-what-you-want method

At the risk of beating a dead horse, you're wrong. Click the link and read the Thom's interview in The Guardian, he says nothing of the sort in regards to pay-what-you-like. His gripe is that Radiohead's idea paved the way for music subscriptions and things of that nature to thrive. He goes on to say that it's an issue because those companies are trying to make tangible formats obsolete.

Can we all just agree that people who listen to country music don't know how to illegally download and that's why that genre's album sales are always through the roof?

Absolute fact. 

Country music and young pop stars (i.e. One Direction and Justin Bieber) fans don't know how to illegally download music

Kanye isn't even giving anything away for free & hasn't mentioned or even hinted at anything other than his "Not For Sale" live projections being misinterpreted. Not sure why this thread completely shifted to talk about that.

But yes... Country fans don't know how to use computers so even nobodies reach high up on charts.

Kanye isn't even giving anything away for free & hasn't mentioned or even hinted at anything other than his "Not For Sale" live projections being misinterpreted. Not sure why this thread completely shifted to talk about that.

But yes... Country fans don't know how to use computers so even nobodies reach high up on charts.

I think the "Not For Sale" has nothing to do with the album's release.  It's just a statement about how he/his persona isn't for sale and encouraging the public not be for sale (alluding to being a slave to fashion, merch, society, etc.).  

Justin timberlake has a huge hip hop following, so him doing 980k first week is amazing, far more impressive then swift sales

I'm not surprised by this, he has a huge crossover going on.  It's appeal is quite broad.

I think the "Not For Sale" has nothing to do with the album's release.  It's just a statement about how he/his persona isn't for sale and encouraging the public not be for sale (alluding to being a slave to fashion, merch, society, etc.).  

I'm not surprised by this, he has a huge crossover going on.  It's appeal is quite broad.

Yeah. Essentially saying he isn't a product. He also isn't selling his album. By selling I mean pushing. Very little advertising (other than the projections), no artwork, no pre-orders, etc.