Meticulously mastered from high-resolution audio files. What?

I just read a press release from ABKCO Recrords claiming that the forthcoming 50th anniversary 180g clear vinyl Rolling Stones reissues will be "meticulously mastered from high-resolution audio files sourced from the original master tapes".

What in the hell does this mean, exactly? It's still a digital master so not truly analog, right? Will it even matter? They claim it will sound better than CD but does that mean worse than the original analog tapes?

Any insight from an audio engineer (or self proclaimed audio geek) who would know is greatly appreciated.

Unless you have an amazing set up, you probably won't notice much any way.

Why not email the company that did the press release for this, and ask if its a digital remaster or a complete analogue remaster. Instead of assuming right away it's digital. Because nowhere in what you quoted does it mention digital. So you know, assumptions and all...

'high resolution audio files sourced from the original analog tapes' : that means digital, pretty clearly. it doesn't say 'digital' because that's a naughty word.

the Rage Against the Machine reissue was done the same way. They transfer the tape to high resolution digital space and do the remastering digitally.

Why? It's easier.

But I don't care because I wouldn't buy any of these.

The source for these vinyl resissues are the DSD files created by Bob Ludwig (I believe in 2002).  I'm not clear if they are going to be remastered again specifically for these releases or if they will use the prior master.

I have not heard the prior Stones DSD vinyl releases but I've read that they have been cleaned up quite a bit (could be good or bad depending on what you like).  I've also read several reviews saying that there wasn't much, if any, loss of quality in sound from the original source since the quality wasn't perfect to begin with.  But to answer your question - yes, the source is digital, not analog.

Also, I believe that the Bob Ludwig DSD releases only go up to Sticky Fingers so no re-re-re-release of Exile...yet.

It really does irk me something fierce when they reissue records that were already recorded on tape and source them from a digital rendering of the analog masters. What the fuck? You don't need to remaster it to fit in with the current mastering style (i.e. loud, clipped shit mastering). It came from a specific era. It should be allowed to sound like it came from that era.

I haven't heard the 2012 Beatles remasters yet (still waiting on mono) or the Rage re-issue from earlier this year (or was it last year already?). I suppose this technique can't sound any worse than my 32 bit 192Khz vinyl rips that sound pretty damn fantastic to me. I just think that if you're releasing a remastered (supposed) audiophile pressing of a previously issued record on vinyl, it should be a true analog process throughout. Assuming, of course, that the analog source is still available.

Thanks for all the input!

Digital doesn't necessarily mean ruined dynamics / poor mastering.  Just depends on the market.  If the market is iPod & cheap cd players dynamics will be crushed.  If it's the music snob market the dynamics will with rare exception be present.

As far as analogue vs. digital... you can't tell.  Crappy mastering, loud mastering, sub-CD sample rates, and poor manufacturing: you'll notice.

I *ahem* previewed the hdtracks of these releases, they are exceptionally good sounding.  I then put them on a backup HDD cuz I'm not that big of a fan.