Dear International People buying records from the US.

plenty of risk involved with shipping first class international and priority international rates are high enough that no one wants to pay it.  

maybe I should have made my empathy more clear in the first post.  we understand that costs are high, it just seems like lately every thread has multiple posts complaining about it. 

i have forwarded this to the usps and they will take it under consideration.  they seemed impressed with the eloquence of your language.

I'm sure they will put it at the top of their to do list, thanks.

Nah but seriously, it's not the labels fault and we all know that, it's just hard to see the value in buying a record where the shipping costs are higher, now bulk buying sort of solves this, but also means spending even more.

I used to complian about shipping costs untill i realized the difference in average earnings between australia and america. We earn double, we pay double.. For everything.

Then there is amazon.. Were i can get a record for $20 ppd that retails here for $35.

What still shits me though are certain distros who wont offer standard or first class shipping or whatever.. I dont mind paying $30 sometimes $40 but $65 is shit, its a shit fucking price to pay for a record.

Guest realtalk

I'm all down on helping out foreigners, but I always get retarded offers. Like they have absolutely no idea that shipping costs what it does. Then I tell them I need x for the record and y for shipping, they act offended like I just whipped out my dick or something. I really can't remember the last time I profited off an int'l sale. Thats why I don't like shipping outside the US. Make some informed. Fucking. Offers.

Haha! Nice imagery!

Fact: Americans make ridiculous and uninformed offers too. (Probably much higher per capita than any other country from my experience)

Whats worse than people complaining about shipping prices are people not offering international shipping for whatever reason. Ive been shipping records internationally for years now and just cant unterstand why anybody wouldnt do it

Because it costs $30 to track the record and if it isn't tracked you can say you never received it and get a full refund through paypal. That is as simple as I can make it.

Yeah 100% agree. With the average earnings in Australia being way higher compared to the US, the cost of importing vinyl really isnt that bad. It's all pretty relative.

I mean if the final cost of an LP is $30 from the US, that's like an hour of work for me. I'm cool with that.

So no complaints about vinyl cost from me. BUT! seriously, the price of a pint of beer can fuck right off, $10 minimum to cop a pint here :( I'm better off staying home on the weekend, buying records all night. Plus, no brutal hangovers. 

Whats worse than people complaining about shipping prices are people not offering international shipping for whatever reason. Ive been shipping records internationally for years now and just cant unterstand why anybody wouldnt do it

Someone on eBay left me neutral feedback because I accidentally overcharged $5 shipping on two LPs to Norway. Never even sent me a message. For this reason I will no longer offer international shipping on my sales.

I don't know, 20-30 other times. I've been using eBay for about 10 years now. In the end it's just not worth my trouble. I have to wait in line at the post office (sometimes takes an hour) and fill out a customs form, when I can just print a shipping label at home and drop the package off when shipping domestically. Almost always people complain about how much the rate is too, as was mentioned in the OP. Like I said, it's just not worth the trouble.

I've been using eBay for about 10 years now. In the end it's just not worth my trouble. I have to wait in line at the post office (sometimes takes an hour) and fill out a customs form, when I can just print a shipping label at home and drop the package off when shipping domestically. Almost always people complain about how much the rate is too.

This x 100, although I have been known to ship international if someone goes through the trouble of messaging me on eBay to ask if I will. Shows initiative at least and makes me feel more like I'm actually helping a fellow collector out.

I don't know, 20-30 other times. I've been using eBay for about 10 years now. In the end it's just not worth my trouble. I have to wait in line at the post office (sometimes takes an hour) and fill out a customs form, when I can just print a shipping label at home and drop the package off when shipping domestically. Almost always people complain about how much the rate is too, as was mentioned in the OP. Like I said, it's just not worth the trouble.

You can print out international postage at home, at least with stamps.com. That's what I use.

You can print out international postage at home, at least with stamps.com. That's what I use.

only payment subscription services like stamps.com offer first class international postage. Otherwise, paypal and USPS only allow you to buy priority and express int'l shipping. though, now, you can fill in and print customs forms online, which makes life a little easier. still gotta wait in line at the post office, though.

"We solved this problem for you years ago by making everything digital"  -The Music Industry

I LIKE THOSE POSTS! THEY ARE GREAT POSTS! DO MORE POSTS LIKE THAT SO I CAN LIKE THEM! THANKS EVERYBODY! KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK! YOU ARE DOING A GOOD JOB! WOW!

I used to use stamps.com, but to pay $10/month for a service I would only use once in a blue moon, once again, is not worth the trouble. I'll still ship internationally on here, as I do like helping collectors out. I was mainly talking about eBay when I said I wouldn't, based on the experiences I've had.

I was just making the point that it's a seller's prerogative to ship or not ship internationally. Everyone has their own reasons.

Where'd my bloke bartisgod bail out to?  That dag seemed like a dinkum whacker.  Duffin' our jimmies with all that American earbashin', aye?  Bit of a figjam if you ask me - couldn't tell if he was full of furphy or just a frog in sock.

But seriously.  I wish I could've quoted some of his ridiculousness.  Fortunately I remember a lot of it, from skimming on my phone earlier.  So allow me to say that it is tedious to wade through countless complaints about shipping in a thread... from either party.  I figured it was common knowledge that shipping rates were increasing in the spring.

I do groan whenever I reach for wallet, with labels like Denovali.  But honestly, that's what I've come to expect.  Bloated shipping rates that prevent me from frequently ordering from overseas -- that's not an uncommon thing.  I just don't feel the need to cry about it in multiple threads, I guess.  I've scored plenty of Euro records through Amazon, Discogs, eBay, and some extensive Googling.  It takes a bit of work, but you can usually find a much better deal.

As a [healthy, possibly underweight] U.S. citizen, I do not mind shipping internationally.  Yup.  I said it.

It requires an extra slip of paper to fill out -- maybe one more on top of that, to include tracking.  I simply box the record up, take it to the post office, and measure it to get a price quote.  I add that quote to the price of the sale, and give the buyer his or her options of purchase.  (One price without tracking, and one more, with significant charges for tracking.)  I explain the importance of tracking, but ultimately leave it up to them to decide.  This has yet to fail me.  (Knock on wood.)  Just a few weeks back I sold a 7" on Discogs.  It was something like $12 or $14 to ship it uninsured, and nearly double the cost to insure it with tracking.  My customer opted for the cheaper route.  I gave her a total PPD price - and, yeah, I felt like an asshole, because it was stupidly steep for a 7" - but she wanted it.  So she paid it, I shipped it, and she received it a week later.  Not a big deal at all.

I recently turned down an ISIS variant, here on VC, because the seller's PPD price was just too high for me.  (He would have shipped from Canada.)  Like me, he wasn't banking off shipping fees at all -- just covering the costs.  I can't fault him for that.  So I shrugged and politely passed on the sale.  There was no reason to lowball him or reduce the value of his record, just to accommodate for unfortunate shipping fees.  If the album was a white whale of mine, or if I had to have it, I would've shelled out the cash.  But given that it's not a coveted record, nor something I absolutely needed, I opted to skip the purchase... and that was that.  Anyone who throws a fit or belittles an oversea seller after trying to haggle them needs a reality check.

I think we all need to agree that international shipping will always be steep, and that hardly anyone is banking off those absurd prices.  If you don't like it; don't pay it.  If you absolutely need the record, pony up the cash.  And if you find yourself lusting for said record - but don't feel like denting your wallet - do some extensive Googling.  Those are the only three logical solutions that I can think of.