So, there's not a thread about this game on here and this is an injustice! haha

Just announced via Konami's Pre-E3 show, David Hayter is out as Solid Snake/Big Boss, and Kiefer Sutherland is in. As a huge fan of the series, nearing close to two decades, this extremely saddens me. I love the series, though I feel that losing such an iconic voice actor will be a determent to the game and future titles if there will be any. 

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/06/06/kiefer-sutherland-playing-snake-in-metal-gear-solid-v

What do you guys think?  

I have to admit Hayters voice really started bugging me after Metal gear solid 2. It just started sounding more and more ridiculous as the series went on. It's very iconic voice work and despite what I said I think he did a great job.

I like Keifer Sutherland though, and I think his natural voice would fit that character well. But David Hayter will always be Solid Snake.  

I have to admit Hayters voice really started bugging me after Metal gear solid 2. It just started sounding more and more ridiculous as the series went on. It's very iconic voice work and despite what I said I think he did a great job.

I like Keifer Sutherland though, and I think his natural voice would fit that character well. But David Hayter will always be Solid Snake.  

I feel as though I would accept this change more smoothly if I knew that the voice actor portraying Big Boss in the Japanese version would have been changed as well, due to the character's aging in the story line. Yet, he remains the same. That really irks me. haha Not to mention, Kiefer is only two years older than Hayter..

What I'm thinking is, since they are already in pre-production for the Metal Gear Solid movie, and that they had Avi Arad (the director of the movie) speaking about Kiefer in the reveal today, they're gearing up to announce Kiefer as Snake for the movie. Which again, I'm not feeling. Though I don't know who would could best portray Big Boss/Snake. 

In all seriousness, I would rather them have not changed it, same thing with the new Splinter Cell getting a new person for Sam. But I do love Kiefer so at least they chose someone I dig.

I mean, I like Kiefer Sutherland. I just don't think he fits as Big Boss. haha

just posted today, the directors cut of the E3 trailer. I'm way too excited for this game. I hope it comes out really soon. I'm still hoping for a holiday 2013 release, but that's definitely wishful thinking. Also, it was announced for the PS4. 

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/JoshWildingNewsAndReviews/news/?a=81351

• 2 years later...

So, is anyone playing this. I played/watched a few hours now and I really love it. I think Kojima made an immense game. I went to a midnight launch of this and man, I talked to some gamers who were straight out of a movie. Pretty entertaining night. 

I thought it was funny Mad Max released the same night as this, there was one guy at the shop that was picking that up and his special edition MGSV was coming in the mail the next day. 

Ohhh nice necro - didn't know there was a thread for this :)

I got the game a few days early, and I'm about 36% completion, I think.

Hey yeah, let me ask you about this Rooks, I saw where some GameStop employees were able to get the game early also, my question is, with big releases like this, is there any part of the game that is "locked" until launch (other than the DLC and online stuff)?

Because of that I'm hesitant on buying this. Please tell me they did away with really long frequent cut scenes.

They sure did.  The story component is way, way slimmed back (for better or worse), and the "open world" aspect of it makes it feel infinitely less linear than any MGS title you've played before.  It's a whole different animal.  You'll love it.

Hey yeah, let me ask you about this Rooks, I saw where some GameStop employees were able to get the game early also, my question is, with big releases like this, is there any part of the game that is "locked" until launch (other than the DLC and online stuff)?

Not sure where Gamestop people got it early, usually big stores are crazy strict with release dates, even with their own employees.  I get games early via a local indie shop.

Nothing is ever locked, except DLC and online as you said.  A lot of games with online components, like MGS V, the servers are just "offline" until release date. The servers went live on MGS at around 9pm EST so a few hours before the midnight release.

The only other thing that is "missing" is the day 1 patch, which, comes on day 1. But, the early copies are usually the exact same thing reviewers are getting, so it's unlikely that something in the Day 1 patch is necessary to play.

They sure did.  The story component is way, way slimmed back (for better or worse), and the "open world" aspect of it makes it feel infinitely less linear than any MGS title you've played before.  It's a whole different animal.  You'll love it.

Awesome!! I'll grab it in a couple weeks, once I have some time to actually play the damn thing.

I love this game. MGS hasn't captured my attention this much since the demo for MGS 2 was released on ZoE. Feels like this will set the precedent for anything coming out for this generation of gaming systems. It's not broken, looks and plays great, and the micro transactions that are in place are entirely optional and have no affect on anything other than time spent in the game.

I feel like it could have a more linear main story mode. And I'm like 4% into it, But I am hoping there are some larger bases to infiltrate or some more expansive cities or something. And I do miss David Hayter. I was hoping Solid Snake would be the final Boss or something, but that doesn't look to be the case.