PO: Norma Jean-Wrongdoers

Enjoy the album too but their show tonight was not great

Would like to discuss this.  I'm a big live show geek, a concert goer before a vinyl collector.  What was the crowd like?  I find so often that a live show has more to do with the people watching it, than the people up on stage performing.  Specifically I'm talking about in modern rock, be it any genre of metal, punk, whatever.  Don't get me wrong, those on stage are absolutely the ones giving a presentation of their art, and are responsible for influencing the spark that ignites the excitement in the crowd.  I'm not trying to let them off the hook by any means.

That said, was everyone standing there with their arms crossed wearing a scowl on their mug?  If you have a venue full of folks not scared to let go of inhibitions & smash their neighbor & run around in a circle, crowd surf, a live show like Norma Jean has the potential to go from 0 to 60 as soon as they start playing, every time they play.  But if everyone's standing there with their hands in their pockets, you might as well be watching the DVD at home.  Not to mention the band gets way more into it when they've got a crowd full of people participating.

Though I know moshing isn't for everyone.  But you at least get what I'm saying.  I've been at shows where it isn't extremely fun or exciting & it's because the people in the crowd suck & are being defiant, while the band is doing just fine on stage.  Or maybe they're just standing their holding up their iPhone recording.  You're seeing this LIVE-WHY are you filming this??  I have nothing against a picture or two but put it away.  Leave it in the car.  "I'm here seeing this in person, but I'm gonna film it-and watch it later on my laptop!"

Would like to discuss this.  I'm a big live show geek, a concert goer before a vinyl collector.  What was the crowd like?  I find so often that a live show has more to do with the people watching it, than the people up on stage performing.  Specifically I'm talking about in modern rock, be it any genre of metal, punk, whatever.  Don't get me wrong, those on stage are absolutely the ones giving a presentation of their art, and are responsible for influencing the spark that ignites the excitement in the crowd.  I'm not trying to let them off the hook by any means.

That said, was everyone standing there with their arms crossed wearing a scowl on their mug?  If you have a venue full of folks not scared to let go of inhibitions & smash their neighbor & run around in a circle, crowd surf, a live show like Norma Jean has the potential to go from 0 to 60 as soon as they start playing, every time they play.  But if everyone's standing there with their hands in their pockets, you might as well be watching the DVD at home.  Not to mention the band gets way more into it when they've got a crowd full of people participating.

Though I know moshing isn't for everyone.  But you at least get what I'm saying.  I've been at shows where it isn't extremely fun or exciting & it's because the people in the crowd suck & are being defiant, while the band is doing just fine on stage.  Or maybe they're just standing their holding up their iPhone recording.  You're seeing this LIVE-WHY are you filming this??  I have nothing against a picture or two but put it away.  Leave it in the car.  "I'm here seeing this in person, but I'm gonna film it-and watch it later on my laptop!"

Let me give some background, I'm 26 and just saw them at Summer Slaughter fest. I am not a huge Norma Jean fan myself but have enjoyed Meridional and Wrongdoers a decent amount. The crowd was totally into them and going pretty ham. It was actually the first show I have been to in a loooong time where a majority of the crowd gave a shit. My issue with the show was that the mix of songs they chose created a set list that was 90% breakdown mosh groove stuff with a ridiculous amount of bass booms. Not my scene. They played two new songs and that was all I enjoyed. I want to see a band rip, not a bouncing their heads in unison while 15 year olds do shitty karate moves around me. But hey, who's listening to the lonely kid in the crowd.

Let me give some background, I'm 26 and just saw them at Summer Slaughter fest. I am not a huge Norma Jean fan myself but have enjoyed Meridional and Wrongdoers a decent amount. The crowd was totally into them and going pretty ham. It was actually the first show I have been to in a loooong time where a majority of the crowd gave a shit. My issue with the show was that the mix of songs they chose created a set list that was 90% breakdown mosh groove stuff with a ridiculous amount of bass booms. Not my scene. They played two new songs and that was all I enjoyed. I want to see a band rip, not a bouncing their heads in unison while 15 year olds do shitty karate moves around me. But hey, who's listening to the lonely kid in the crowd.

Ah dude. Forgot you were in the area. A friend's band won an opening slot for that in a battle of the bands. Did you see anyone early on? Heard what you said about the crowd--that even if you didn't like the music, the crowd kept you in it cuz they were so pumped.

Ah dude. Forgot you were in the area. A friend's band won an opening slot for that in a battle of the bands. Did you see anyone early on? Heard what you said about the crowd--that even if you didn't like the music, the crowd kept you in it cuz they were so pumped.

Unfortunately not, I didn't show up until 5 to see The Ocean.

I thought they did well mixing up everything.  On Summer Slaughter they jam pack a lot of bands, so you're gonna get a short set list.  They opened with some old school Disconnecktie, then a taste of Meridional with Anthem Of Angry Brides, I forget the rest by heart, but I think the only album left out was Anti Mother?  I believe Dilemmachine, Small Spark vs Great Forest, Got It At 5, of course Memphis, Creating Something Out Of Nothing, if anything, the highest count was off Bless The Martyr.  Not saying they don't dabble, but the last thing I think of when I listen to Norma Jean is the trendy break down bass drop scene, except when I'm doing the waltz with my murderer.  There are bands out there who write their entire albums around breakdowns and what's trending, I don't think Norma Jean is one of them.

Rough night, huh?  Everybody was kung-fu fighting?  I dislike the karate kids myself.  I've come to acceptance with them just because I know when I see them and think "What, are they doing?", I know most civilized society thinks the same of me when I'm slam or circle pitting & crowd surfing & such.  I've just witnessed such a higher amount of disrespect from the softcore dancefloor kids, who carelessly punch and kick (literally) all kinds of people around them with no regard or remorse.  Standard moshers don't usually go after anyone not pitting.  Of course there can always be the exceptional drunken asshole...

Crowds suck anymore. I don't get it either..

That's why I don't go to shows anymore. It's like stepping into a funeral parlor. 

Like I can get depressed on my own time without having to pay for it. 

And I'm sorry.. Every time I've seen NJ they were not the greatest. They're more of a studio band for me.

My copy is waiting for me in the mailroom. Clear i'm guessing, Blah. Some people on here love clear. Clear is my least favorite.

Meridional was pressed by Furnace and it was an awesome pressing. This was not pressed at furnace.

If I get a blue or purple from the distro I ordered from, wanna trade? I'll pay for your shipping cost if so.

That's why I don't go to shows anymore. It's like stepping into a funeral parlor. 

Like I can get depressed on my own time without having to pay for it. 

And I'm sorry.. Every time I've seen NJ they were not the greatest. They're more of a studio band for me.

Come on, don't let one monkey (or a venue full of them) ruin the show.  What kind of shows you guys going to?  Be the catalyst.  Never be too shy to be the one to break open the pit.  There are times no one will join in & you look like the asshole, sure.  But never forget-you're awesome, they're the boring & the weak.  At least you tried.  Besides, the times that everyone jumps in with you & the fuse is lit to a fucking bomb trump those times no one is willing to have fun.  Be the catalyst!!

On your last sentence, join us at some of the shows the roof of the venue is being torn off, you may change your tune.

I ordered another copy from 3rd party goHastings on Amazon, I'll let you guys know what color it is, though I'm assuming clear.  Have there been any reports of black copies anywhere??

...let's all just throw on track 5 and have ourselves a great time.

Ready......GO!