PO: Russian Circles - Memorial (Media Mail back on Hello $5.50)

I caught them in Sacramento with a good friend, actually.  Very small venue and we couldn't be more close to the stage.  That's the RC / Deafheaven / ASIWYFA tour you're speaking of, right?  What a show.

Damn, I wish we would have gotten deafheaven on that tour!  I caught deafheaven open for them the tour before, but it would have been rad to have them both times.

Did anyone else get a Sargent House fridge magnet with their order?

Yeah, that's where I struggle as well.  In the years that I've been enjoying the band, I don't think I've ever listened to a single song of theirs out of context... minus Youtube videos or seeing them live, obviously.  Each of their albums have a very specific atmosphere and flow, and I think they're all the stronger because of that.  I'm with you on the dispersed love for them all, though.  Station seems to get a weak reputation among the countless reviews (critiques) that I've read, but even as the allegedly "weakest link" in their discography, I do enjoy that album immensely.

What happened with me is that since "Carpe" was the song that got me into the band, hearing "Harper Lewis" from Station first was a huge disappointment because it was so much less complex and just seemed to drag and do nothing and any time I tried to listen to the rest of Station the experience was just colored by that major disappointment I felt hearing "Harper Lewis". Now, I love Station and that song is not my favorite but I certainly appreciate it and groove to it. I just wasn't accustomed to enough similar music at the time to appreciate the whole album but now that I have become more familiar with other artists with similar sounds and I actually enjoy them, I'm all about it.

What happened with me is that since "Carpe" was the song that got me into the band, hearing "Harper Lewis" from Station first was a huge disappointment because it was so much less complex and just seemed to drag and do nothing and any time I tried to listen to the rest of Station the experience was just colored by that major disappointment I felt hearing "Harper Lewis". Now, I love Station and that song is not my favorite but I certainly appreciate it and groove to it. I just wasn't accustomed to enough similar music at the time to appreciate the whole album but now that I have become more familiar with other artists with similar sounds and I actually enjoy them, I'm all about it.

I feel you.  On a very similar note, I think I had downloaded Enter and Station when they were both released - based off of recommendations from friends, reviews, and even some of my favorite bands via their blogs - but I just couldn't wrap my head around their style of music.  Like you, I just wasn't accustomed to what they were bringing to the table... and for me, personally, it was all outlets of post-rock and post-metal.  Something about an eight minute song with zero vocals just didn't feel right to me.  Fortunately that was quickly thwarted after the release of Station, and it's proven to be one of the most consistent genres of music, in my books.  Very rewarding to explore... and like you said, diving into the genre only heightened my appreciated for Russian Circles' material.

Also, I've never bothered to listen to TAAS.  Fight me.

You fucking moron!!! WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH YOU!!!!!!

All joking aside, get on that right the fuck right now, dude. I think it would benefit you to start with "Ethric Double" from their final album Tail Swallower & Dove because I think it may be the most RC-like song that you could start with so hopefully that will help bridge any gap there may be between this and what you're accustomed to. There are vocals but being such a long song there are plenty of extended instrumental passages plus right around the 3:04 mark you might be reminded of a passage from a track on Empros. I actually envy you the privilege of coming completely blind (deaf?) to them right now. I remember the glorious sensation of completely bathing my ears in all of their work for the very first time all at once and it was beautiful! Please promise me you'll take the journey through all three albums and get back to me about it.

Here is the full third and final album:

http://suicidesqueeze.bandcamp.com/album/tail-swallower-and-dove

Start with "Ethric Double" and if you dig it go back and play the album from the beginning til the end.

...Jesus Christ, man... never?

Haha, yeah, never.  I'm aware of the band's hype (justified, from the sounds of it) and what they're about... and they've actually been in my iTunes for a good three or four years.  But I've just never gotten around to actually listening.  Weird, I know.  I will definitely check out their discography and get back to you.

It seems like up through Geneva a lot of people were expecting Enter part II. I'm glad most seem to have given up that expectation by now. I remember Stations taking a little longer to settle with me initially, but I've learned to trust RC's judgement since. I guess I was lucky when Enter came out to have already been entrenched in post-rock/metal and math rock, so it was an easy fit.

I have strong personal connections to Enter, so my opinion of it is slightly skewed. I saw Russian Circles open for POS and Minus The Bear way back in 2006/7 and they played 4 songs from Enter and I fell in love immediately. They've been my favorite ever since. The ferociousness of that record always brings me back for more. I'm never really in love with their quieter songs. They're not bad or anything. I just crave hearing the intensity of Dave's drumming and Brian's froggy basslines.

Colin was a fine bassist. But the addition of Brian brought SO much more to the band, so maybe I do favor the later records more, once Brian got a chance to contribute to the writing. There are elements on every record that I'm in love with and no single record of theirs gets more playtime than another. Watching them play live always brings out the super fanboy in me and I go on a crazy binge and listen to nothing but them for like the next month. Each one of them is incredible to watch.

Also, I got a Death Rides A Horse tattoo.

Haha, yeah, never.  I'm aware of the band's hype (justified, from the sounds of it) and what they're about... and they've actually been in my iTunes for a good three or four years.  But I've just never gotten around to actually listening.  Weird, I know.  I will definitely check out their discography and get back to you.

Killing me, Smalls...

Please dive in and get back to me on it.

On a collector note has it been definitely shown that the Euro pressing is distinct from the 3 from SH?

This is something I'd really like to know as well. Photos of the translucent grey are floating around out there, right? Or am I imagining things?

[edit]

Duh.  I think it's fair to say that the translucent grey is Euro(/tour) exclusive.

There was a knock on my door no more than three minutes after my initial post... and now I am currently ogling my Sargent House order.  It's a thing of beauty.  Super grateful that there are no splits.

Thinking I should order the Euro version from amazon UK, I missed out on the US variants. Just can't figure those other sites out :-/

I'd go for a black from hellomerch, but it's just a few dollars more to go for amazon UK with a gamble it might be the Euro gray.

Which ones did you order, Derek?

The grey and clear, since I couldn't make up my mind.  Both arrived in tip-top shape.  I also had the latest Chelsea Wolfe added to the order to save on shipping... so maybe the three of them joined forces to avoid transit damage.  They all arrived in a pretty massive Hello Merch mailer, but there was zero padding.  Cardboard or foam alike.

Derek, work your way backwards with TAAS and take McPhersons word....Ethric Double is a lifetime top 10 song

Thanks dude.  I will certainly do so.  And if I had to wager a guess, I'll probably be in the market for some TAAS vinyl before long.

The grey and clear, since I couldn't make up my mind.  Both arrived in tip-top shape.  I also had the latest Chelsea Wolfe added to the order to save on shipping... so maybe the three of them joined forces to avoid transit damage.  They all arrived in a pretty massive Hello Merch mailer, but there was zero padding.  Cardboard or foam alike.

Thanks dude.  I will certainly do so.  And if I had to wager a guess, I'll probably be in the market for some TAAS vinyl before long.

Nice. And yeah, I was going to comment earlier that once you listened to and digested all of TAAS's material, you were going to be hitting me up for variants from my collection as I have basically everything. :P

Nice. And yeah, I was going to comment earlier that once you listened to and digested all of TAAS's material, you were going to be hitting me up for variants from my collection as I have basically everything. :P

This really surprises me considering your affinity for black vinyl.

General rule of thumb: if McPherson's collecting variants for a band, you should know they're worth your time.

... Honestly, each album sort of applies to different moods for me. I feel like I could take about 10 or 12 songs from across each album and construct the quintessential, most amazing Russian Circles album which would end up just being a "best of" but one fucking hell of a best of album but then I remember that each song needs to belong to its respective album because they have such distinct personalities. The one thing I can say is that I love every one of them.

This is something I'd really like to know as well. Photos of the translucent grey are floating around out there, right? Or am I imagining things?

[edit]

Duh.  I think it's fair to say that the translucent grey is Euro(/tour) exclusive.

There was a knock on my door no more than three minutes after my initial post... and now I am currently ogling my Sargent House order.  It's a thing of beauty.  Super grateful that there are no splits.

Dang that was way back there and completely forgot! Facepalm.

Just noticed this last night, but Dave Knudson did the layout and Ryan Russel did the picture for the record..I wondered why it reminded me so much of planet of ice. Anyone remember his myspace with all those pretty pictures?

Station was a hard sell for me, I was confused as shit with how simple it was. My 20 year old mind couldn't grasp what they were trying to do, but then I remember watching that drumming is subjective interview with Dave. He pretty much said it wasn't something people where going to immediately get, but years down the line they eventually see why they did what they did.

That struck home for me, because thats an interesting concept to Intially start the album. Most bands don't actually try to do that (let alone pulling it off) it just happens.

As far as TAAS goes, everything is spectacular...but Easter is my shit. It's like they distilled the Jesus lizard and traindodge so perfectly they couldn't HELP but show off, but in that cool way where it's perfectly appropriate. Very rare. Its not for the timid though. You gotta listen to it as a whole for it to hit you proper.