PO: Red Fang, "Whales and Leeches"

This guy gets it right:

yup. for me, $80 odd shipped for one of these. I like Relapse; they released the most astonishing Locrian record recently, and Horseback is now on them. They have a LOT of dross on the label, but this fleecing feels like the label are cashing in big-time on what they perceive to be a big-ticket band.

I wonder if the Fang had anything to do with this pricing.

This is the exact type of crap that is making me buy less records. All these excessive variants all at once and lame bundles becoming the norm. I think the onesie in a bundle takes the cake for trying way too hard. I would have normally bought this record and now I'm not motivated to buy it at all.

This is the exact type of crap that is making me buy less records. All these excessive variants all at once and lame bundles becoming the norm. I think the onesie in a bundle takes the cake for trying way too hard. I would have normally bought this record and now I'm not motivated to buy it at all.

This. I saw the onesie and x'ed out the page.

This guy gets it right:

Seems like someone from the label commented in the comments for that video. They need this feedback and that guy in the video is exactly right. I unsubscribed from the Relapse newsletter and wrote the reason. If enough people backlash against this maybe they will stop doing it. Or I guess you could just spend a ton of money on a onesie and 40 oz beer coozie. :wacko:

• 1 month later...

A limited-edition "Go fuck yourself."

--

I just wanted to update this thread with my experience over the past couple of days. Sorry in advance that it's a bit long---if brevity is necessary to you, read no further.

While I was irked at Relapse's high prices for limited release options of this album, unlike many others I didn't take it personally. Who knows what went on behind the scenes---unexpected recording or manufacturing costs, a spike in the price of lenticular filters, and Red Fang's insatiable appetite for PBR could have been the swirling vortex of extra-cost that caused the sticker price of this release to rocket.

But the bottom line is this: while these scenarios (except the PBR one) are unlikely, I guess I just didn't feel a personal stake in this one release. I considered it an anomaly, rather than indicative of things to come. Besides... I'm a huge fan, and I wanted a limited release of the album. So I skipped a couple of taco lunches and plunked it down for the 2xLP deluxe when the pre-order came up.

Fast forward until two days ago.

As a huge fan of the band, I follow their FaceSpace account and glance for groovy information about tours, press, and such. On Tuesday evening, I caught the following post from Red Fang,

"Hey everyone, word on the streets has it that someone has made it possible for you to get your 'Whales & Leeches' fix a week early. We've been told there are 500 bootleg pieces of exclusive vinyl splattered across the country available right now!"

Wow... cool! Stoked. Where's the number for my local record store...

So, I call the shop and sure enough they have four copies. I trek down and pay $20 plus tax, excited that I got a limited release of this at a solid price. I didn't look too closely until I hit the door.

The album jacket is not printed, save for a black rubber-stamp looking "Red Fang" logo right in the center. Also, my copy says, "3/500".

I think to myself, "Wow... I just got the #3 copy. How cool." Then, I backtracked. I wondered if #2 might be right behind me, on the shelf. I think the guy behind the counter knew what I was going to ask, because as soon as I said "this is #3" to him, he said, "they are all #3."

It turns out he was right. As an-uber fan that follows Red Fang FaceSpace, I check the comments of other uber-fans who made the purchase at their respective local record stores. Everyone who bought one says that they got #3 out of 500. All of them.

Finally, I start to understand the joke... and it was on me. There was no jacket art because we all bitched about the price of a lenticular cover. In fact, there are no extras at all, including liner notes or a track listing. It's just a plain white jacket with the "Red Fang" logo printed in black ink, right in the center. Oh---but it is a limited release alright, black vinyl, out of 500. Technically, they are all #3 out of 500. But, it was only $20 bucks, right? So, this one is for all of you (us) who were bitching about the price of the limited release... from here on, we can go fuck ourselves.

Long story, I know. But I wanted to share with you all because this kinda took me aback.

It reminds me of the time I saw Tool in Ft. Worth, TX, and Maynard had the crowd chant "Yee" and "Haw" back and forth across the arena, just to laugh at us. We, the losers who spent $40+ per ticket to stand in the sea of human filth that he hopes, one day, will all be washed away. Or, the time that Vic Chestnutt got so drunk & antagonistic with the sound guy before his performance at the 40-watt that he rudely cut the show short, taking his bottle of Jack Daniels home with him.

I've felt this way before, as artists for one reason or another didn't deal well with fans. It happens, because some of them are dicks. But, I've never seen this from a label before. At least, I've never seen it quite so overt.

I'm not sure why the label felt the need to respond like this. It seems pretty juvenile. Maybe I shouldn't give a shit.

Thoughts?

You simply bought a particular edition that was meant to be exactly what you got. Every one of them being numbered as "3" is a bit weird but hardly an offense. There will be a standard edition available that is black, single LP, has printing on the full jacket and probably a liner sheet or something. I'm not sure why you're taking offense to this. They made a gimmicky "bootleg" early version of the LP of the new album that's limited to 500. I don't really see the problem. I'm not trying to be a dick or anything. I'm just not sure why you're upset.

You simply bought a particular edition that was meant to be exactly what you got. Every one of them being numbered as "3" is a bit weird but hardly an offense. There will be a standard edition available that is black, single LP, has printing on the full jacket and probably a liner sheet or something. I'm not sure why you're taking offense to this. They made a gimmicky "bootleg" early version of the LP of the new album that's limited to 500. I don't really see the problem. I'm not trying to be a dick or anything. I'm just not sure why you're upset.

I probably didn't explain it well in my ridiculously long post. I won't really waste extra bandwidth to explain further.

Instead, I'll just say that this is a fantastic record. It's a nice evolution of their previous work with tracks like "This Animal," and "No Hope" but "Dawn Rising" was a shocking epic turn.

Live, these tracks will puncture pure steel.

Guest Secular Haze

I bought the Daddy Pack.  While I'm not proud of it, I wanted the rarest variant.  I'll be the first to admit that I paid too much.  Here is a shot of the variant.

image3_zpsd433c586.jpeg

It is definitely nice!