Syria

i dont think we should get involved. we've seen time and time again that getting involved in other people's conflicts on a humanitarian basis does not help. we should continue diplomacy and offer humanitarian aid where we can. put sanctions on the country and stop supplying them with weapons. that should be the extent of our involvement.

i dont think we should get involved. we've seen time and time again that getting involved in other people's conflicts on a humanitarian basis does not help. we should continue diplomacy and offer humanitarian aid where we can. put sanctions on the country and stop supplying them with weapons. that should be the extent of our involvement.

Pretty sure it's the Russians that are supplying the weapons.

At least, the rockets and stuff like that. Who knows about the chemicals.

so getting involved in Bosnia in the 90's didnt help?  we, the US, UN, NATO, cannot sit back and just let Assad kill innocent people.

from what i've read, if we had helped the rebels at the beginning two years ago, the support from al nusra would not have been needed. necessity and opportunity dictated that. and now we're giving arms to the same type of people we just spent 11 years fighting. there is no good outcome for the US in this situation. the rebels are in bed with al qaeda. obama drew a line and assad crossed it. now you've got hezbollah and iran saying israel's going down if the US goes any farther with strikes against the regime. and we all know the US can't let anything bad happen to israel.

so now what? honestly i'd rather we just focus on letting in refugees. we're slated to let in 2000 by ??? in 2014 (time table is fuzzy). a whole 2000 people out of the million.

so getting involved in Bosnia in the 90's didnt help?  we, the US, UN, NATO, cannot sit back and just let Assad kill innocent people.

oh c'mon. while that 20 year old intervention helped a lot of people, most of what we've done recently has not. at all. 

when we go into these countries nowadays we're not "promoting democracy" anymore. it just leads to more violence.

but all in all, it's just my opinion.

This is such a hairy topic. I'm active duty military, so it weighs on me prety heavily. We (US) have a history of not liking what a government/leader is doing, then funding/training/supplying the rebels to overthrow the government. The problem is, the rebels usually have an agenda that is far more sinister than ours (ie. osama bin laden).

So, we see these terrible things happening in Syria (and they really are terrible), and we want to step in and act, but Obama wants to make sure he doesn't pull another Bush. He wants to make sure there really was a chemical weapon attack before he strikes. As of right now the reports are not verified. If we attack before the UN confirms that chemical weapons were actually used, we will be the pariah of the world. Russia and China have vowed to stick by Syria until there is proof.

Personally, I hope we wait. By waiting we can determine the attacks were definitely chemical. Then we can hopefully gain the support of the UN (including Russia and China) and then do what needs to be done. As a nurse, this scares me and excites me at the same time. If we get into a war involving chemical weapons, we will be in uncharted territory. Sure, we have been exposed before, but never in a way where we will be forced to treat such massive casualties.  

I don't know if I answered anything, I'm just as perplexed as most. Carry on.