Syria

So basically we're waiting for the OK from congress?

Things are getting scary and my RSS feed is still clogged with crap about Miley Cyrus.

Can someone tl;dr the situation for me? As far as I can tell they used chemical weapons on their own people and the UN is concerned, or an I missing something?

That is what is confusing me, if America is simply stepping in for humanitarian reasons then why did England back out?

I came acrossed this blog post but it seems a bit convoluted...

"For the United States, there really is no good outcome in Syria.If we attack and Assad stays in power, that is a bad outcome for the United States.If we help overthrow the Assad regime, the rebels take control. But they would be even worse than Assad. They have pledged loyalty to al-Qaeda."

http://presstvchannel.tumblr.com/post/59883078306/who-benefits-from-a-war-between-the-us-and-syria

due to the ongoing political unrest b/w assad's rule and his opponents, there was a recent attack on civilians in which hundreds of women and children were killed by chemical weapons.  I think a little over a thousand were actually killed.  thats essentially where this is all coming from.

France formally announced that it would take military action and the UK tried some initiative that i don't really know a whole lot about but it failed.  Russia, true to its unnecessarily difficult nature, said it needed concrete proof that chemicals weapons although its hard to believe to me that they don't have that intelligence.

so congress pressured obama to have a congressional vote approving military action and obama announced that he would like congress's input but ultimately he will take action without it.

havent decided how i feel about a strike because that terrifies me but it does surround a moral dilemma.

Assad is a desperate dictator who is already acting like a man with nothing to lose. Air strikes will likely make him more desperate. Without power he is a dead man and he knows it.

The opposition is populated by jihadists we've already been arming. If they win, we have a possible hard line sharia run state. If they lose those US weapons head off to new Al Quada cells.

Chemical weapons are awful but this is a conflict that has no good outcome for US interests unless there is a hand in the establishment of the next government. That isn't happening.

If we decide to go through with this and send some tomahawks in, I know they're GPS guided and crap, but who decides 'where' exactly all these guys will be hanging out at? Intel will no doubt be keeping tabs on whereabouts but exact locales of everyone involved is impossible and in turn have collateral damage that will save their gov't from killing more

Assad is a desperate dictator who is already acting like a man with nothing to lose. Air strikes will likely make him more desperate. Without power he is a dead man and he knows it.

The opposition is populated by jihadists we've already been arming. If they win, we have a possible hard line sharia run state. If they lose those US weapons head off to new Al Quada cells.

Chemical weapons are awful but this is a conflict that has no good outcome for US interests unless there is a hand in the establishment of the next government. That isn't happening.

yeah, and thats the struggle with this.  from everything ive read any attack would be very key, specific locations, primarily wherever intelligence believes these weapons are being stored.  the attacks wont be to take out "leaders", it'll be to cripple the military force.  its a tough situation for exact reasons you stated, if Assad is overthrown, the new regime/leaders are not going to be much better/potentially more oppresive.