Fork and Knife etiquette

Fork and Knife etiquette   

54 members have voted

1. 1. when cutting your food with a knife do you.....

• keep the fork in the same hand food to mouth
    • switch the fork from hand to hand

last year i taught a simple etiquette enrichment class for k-2 kids in my school's after school program, and in doing research i found out that the differences in fork and knife etiquette boil down to american vs. european.  i believe american etiquette is to keep your knife in your dominant hand while eating with your fork in the other, whereas europeans will cut with their dominant hand, then switch and eat with their dominant hand as well.

i might have them confused, but you get what i mean.

I mostly don't switch because i'm lazy as shit.

righty, american.

Having your fork in your left and your knife in your right when cutting your food, then putting the knife down and switching your fork to your right hand to eat, is known as "American Style." With the "European" method, the fork remains in the left hand and the knife helps coax your food onto your fork.

I was taught in culinary school that the American Style began as a way for the colonists to rebel against the Brittish culture they had removed themselves from and differentiate themselves. So in short, if you love the USA you switch hands, if you support monarchy and hate freedom, keep the fork and knife in the same hands, commie.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eating_utensil_etiquette

"When used in conjunction with a knife to cut and consume food in Western social settings, two forms of fork etiquette are common. In the European style, the diner keeps the fork in his or her left hand, while in the American style the fork is shifted between the left and right hands. The American style is most common in the United States.[3] but the European style is considered proper in other countries.[4][5]

Originally, the traditional European method, once the fork was adopted as a utensil, was to transfer the fork to the right hand after cutting food, as it had been considered proper for all utensils to be used with the right hand only. This tradition was brought to America by British colonists and is still in use in the United States. Europe adopted the more rapid style of eating in relatively modern times.[6]"

this reminds me of the question about whether you prefer you toilet paper coming from the top or from the bottom.

but to answer, right handed. fork in the left, knife in the right. keep it simple and cut against the back of your fork. its proper.

and toilet paper goes over the top obviously

i actually prefer my toilet paper over the top and towards the back.    i find that when you pull from the back the toilet paper breaks off much easier than pulling from the front.  alot of the times if i pull to hard from the front it tends to pull out more toilet paper than intended.

i'm right-handed.  I usually switch after I cut (not always).  if you don't use the knife with your dominant hand, you're silly, that's all there is to that....using your non-dominant hand to put food in your mouth isn't so bad as it takes minimal hand-eye coordination, but if you cook/prep food and try to use a real knife with your non-dominant hand you'll quickly realize how much longer it takes and how much of a pain it is and how unsafe it is.   so if you don't switch and your knife stays/is used in your non-dominant hand...I'm judging you.

and TP...seriously, who does under?

i'm right-handed. I usually switch after I cut (not always). if you don't use the knife with your dominant hand, you're silly, that's all there is to that....using your non-dominant hand to put food in your mouth isn't so bad as it takes minimal hand-eye coordination, but if you cook/prep food and try to use a real knife with your non-dominant hand you'll quickly realize how much longer it takes and how much of a pain it is and how unsafe it is. so if you don't switch and your knife stays/is used in your non-dominant hand...I'm judging you.

and TP...seriously, who does under?

What the hell kinda post is this. Fucking barbarians I tell ya.

At least your a pepsi dude or I might just have to block you.....haha