PO: Fuzz [Ty Segall] (Deluxe ltd 250, clear & light blue available)

dreamwolf

You're right, their normal prices are great and I've ordered from them several times before with no issues. I just don't appreciate the way they've handled this preorder and misrepresented the pressing numbers for an already crazy expensive record.

But oh well, life goes on. Just needed to get that out of my system. I'm gonna forget about that $50, wait for the record to show up and blow out my speakers.

At $50 for a record, I'm bummed that they mislead everyone about the pressing info. In fact it seems like they have twice now. Once when everyone thought it was out of 250, then we find out 500, now it's going to be 750+.

I bought it because it's cool, and limited. If I wasn't interested in either, I would have bought the black version. And the black version is the one that will be in print forever, so those on this site who say it's only about the music, well then buy the black copy and be done with it. Had I known the blue version would be the most limited, I might have thought about saving $30 or so. Because as cool as that cover is, if they're going to repress it over and over, it becomes less special. It becomes just a deluxe version, buy this one that's always in print for 3x the price, or settle for the regular at a regular price.

I want an exclusive pressing when I can get one because it's my way of saying "I was there when that came out". As a fan, I go out of my way to keep on top of exclusives from bands that I like. If I miss out, well, tough shit. Hopefully someone gets tired of their copy and I can find one on eBay. In the meantime, I can make due with the black version so I have the music. But the collector in me wants the limited variant and will pay for it. If someone else missed out, well, better luck next time. We can't win them all. That's how this bobby goes. But to create a demand with false numbers is pretty shady. Had they advertised that there was a possibility of a repress if the demand was high, then this wouldn't be an issue.

If these labels are really that concerned about their limited titles showing up on eBay, then don't do a limited version. Oh, that's right, if they don't make a limited edition, web orders go down. So the answer is to not concern yourself with what happens to a product once someone else buys it.

I can't complain with In The Red at all and they've always been really helpful when I've gotten in touch with them. I will say that it'd be cool if they listed the option to purchase the colour version until it sells out (like Castle Face). I wasn't certain how many coloured copies of the standard edition were pressed at the time and I wanted to get my girlfriend something special so I made an expensive split second decision to pick up an additional deluxe edition. 

I can't complain with In The Red at all and they've always been really helpful when I've gotten in touch with them. I will say that it'd be cool if they listed the option to purchase the colour version until it sells out (like Castle Face). I wasn't certain how many coloured copies of the standard edition were pressed at the time and I wanted to get my girlfriend something special so I made an expensive split second decision to pick up an additional deluxe edition. 

This is the problem. In The Red is a great label with a good reputation. I think most people who ordered expected more from them.

"if you're only buying the deluxe version because it's limited: fuck you. no one cares. buy it for the music or because it's cool or don't buy it. pressing more makes it so that fans can get their hands on it for the actual price and not at overblown rates from shitty ebay flippers"

Check out what this one guy said on FaceBook. Apparently to this guy, buying limited records because they are, well, limited is an unauthentic practice. He goes to say, "buy it for the music." Well, there are obviously cheaper 15$ editions... He then goes on to say, "buy it for the music or because it's cool.." Well yeah I think those who ordered from the 250 Deluxe Box are indeed buying it because of the music and because it's cool. It seems most are totally buying this record because of the music and it's cool.

The joke is really on all involved minus In The Red Records. In The Red wins, they have people wanting more, they have people buying, people are supporting Fuzz. Because truthfully, if In The Red Records gave two shits about everyone getting a copy, for a fair price,  they'd put a purchase limit.

Once again, a lot of those commenting, including In The Red, are going after the people that bought these thinking they were more limited than they are, accusing them of running to eBay with them. I'm keeping mine, from the sounds of it, everyone on here plans on keeping theirs. So it's okay to give a false number of how limited something is to somehow discourage eBay flipping when you decide to release the rest or make more? They're blaming the fans that shelled out $50 plus shipping on something that was very limited, only to find out it was kinda limited and they were making more, and telling the people who just spent $50 that they should suck it up and accusing the ones of complaining of being flippers.

I don't think it would be nearly the issue it is if it wasn't for the price tag attached to it. Either way, they mislead everyone about the quantity pressed. Were they worried that no one would shell out $50 if they knew it was the second most limited? It seems like they mislead everyone thinking a $50 was too steep for this release. I know I would have bought it either way, because it's cool AND the music is gonna be great.

Blaming the people who bought this at that price tag is a joke.

So why is anyone buying vinyl if it's only about the music? Why don't you just buy the download...?

I don't understand how anyone on a vinyl forum could complain about people wanting to buy vinyl, whether it's limited or unlimited. Besides, I don't think most people here are as upset about finding out that they're limited edition of /250 is really out of 500, as they are being mislead about how many are available. It's the deceptive marketing that I'm irritated about. A lot of labels don't even tell anyone how many are pressed. Had they done that, there wouldn't be an issue right now. But they fact they did makes me think they were going for quick sales, and that's deceptive.

I'll agree it was a bit deceptive that they had more than the 250, but the only people who would care about that sort of thing are people planning to flip, or people who really only care about how collectable their collection is. If you felt forced to buy it because it was limited and you felt it was gonna go quick, there is something wrong there. 

The real problem here is that there are people who fork over more money for an attribute of the scarcity of a product and fall apart if that attribute is threatened. There are too many people buying into all this peripheral bullshit that comes along with buying/listening to vinyl records. You over-bloat the concept of "limited" and bank on feeling some sort of satisfaction from that quality being present in a product that you own. If you're upset that after you purchased a limited record, there are more copies of said expensive album than you were told when you initially purchased it, then YOU ARE THE PROBLEM. No one was ever guaranteed at the beginning of their life that one particular attribute of a "hobby" or "lifestyle" or physical music format that they subscribe to was every going to be held sacred and protected so that you can feel superior in any facet of your life other than financially.

You made this a problem for yourself. Why are you banking on scarcity? Get over it. The record is expensive because it costs a lot to produce. You bought it thinking that the limitation will somehow satisfy the value of the money you paid over the actual perceived value of the record due to its limitation. I repeat: You are the problem. You made this a problem.

Disclaimer: The preceding is directed at anyone talking down the label for manufacturing more copies to attempt to satisfy the demand.