Looming Federal Government Shutdown

Is there any way to sneak in?  If it's closed maybe the park rangers won't even be working and no one will notice B)

All federal property should be protected even in the event of something like this.

So the one or two security guards (or more) should still be working.

Valley Forge would be cool to see. You'd be walking in Washington's footsteps. You could even go in January in shorts and a tee shirt with no food for days and make it 100% authentic!

the good behavior guys (blue jumpsuits) did the farming, carpentry, haircuts.

the bad guys (brown jumpsuits) did the mowing, weedeating and other misc. bullshit.

I don't think I could ever trust anyone (not just good/bad convicts, but anyone) with a razor around my neck. Just wouldn't be enjoyable. I shave myself fine.

Cool that others can, though.

All federal property should be protected even in the event of something like this.

So the one or two security guards (or more) should still be working.

Valley Forge would be cool to see. You'd be walking in Washington's footsteps. You could even go in January in shorts and a tee shirt with no food for days and make it 100% authentic!

Done it a thousand times. I can literally walk there from where I sit right now, and I also got married in the park. It's on of my favorite places to go, so they better get it opened back up quick. 

My wife and I have been in the process of buying a house for the first time and all of the paperwork was sent in to get finalized and this happens and now we are just stuck in limbo for who knows how long..pretty frustrating because we already gave our landlord a move out date and now we will be basically homeless from the 7th onward

My wife and I have been in the process of buying a house for the first time and all of the paperwork was sent in to get finalized and this happens and now we are just stuck in limbo for who knows how long..pretty frustrating because we already gave our landlord a move out date and now we will be basically homeless from the 7th onward

ask your landlord for a week or two extension?  or is it rented out already?  going FHA i take it?

That's a serious fucking bummer. First home purchase is supposed to just feel awesome. I know it did for me.

Really think it's the average American who is going to get screwed when this is all said and done, not the government worker. We all ended up getting a 3 week paid vacation in 1996. Whenever this is over, both sides will be looking for votes and the easiest way you can piss off 1 million+ people would be to deny them their paychecks.

It's the lack of services being provided and the idea that we will all get paid for doing no work that is screwing Americans. 

The paid vacation idea is far from proven fact, though. We were in a completely different fiscal state in 1996. I do believe it is the most likely outcome, though.

I'm assuming you mean you were just about to progress towards a closing, not just submitted the paperwork for pre-approval or anything.

You might also be able to whip up a really lightweight temporary lease from the guy who is selling the property. People do it all the time. Usually it's the other way, though (like Mike suggested, staying in a place a little longer not moving into a new one early). Your real estate agent could help. The seller probably doesn't want it sitting empty, either. 

The risk would be that if you leased but the sale fell through later, whatever you moved in would be wasted.

Just another idea to consider.

Yes lol sorry it's the closing not the pre approval. I actually just got off the phone with the seller and we came to an agreement to just move our stuff in and live there until this all pans out (which hopefully happens soon!) Our renter already has someone ready to move in Monday so hopefully this all works in the end

Nailed it. Deciding to give us our pay before they even figure out how long they are going to keep us at home:

http://news.yahoo.com/congress-likely-shutdown-workers-back-pay-081154429--politics.html

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20131007/METRO/310070130/1409/METRO

Heading back to work?

If the press covered Obama the way they’d cover a GOP President who did this kind of thing, he’d be toast. But they don’t, because they’re on his team. Just think of them as Dem operatives with bylines and you won’t go far wrong.

this doesnt happen to a GOP president because they dont think before they spend.  so dont worry, had your buddy mccain become president this wouldnt have happened, we'd probably still be at war in Iraq.

Oh, sweet, partisanship has infected our fair message board. This country is going to destroy itself because no one can have a discussion without blaming "the other side."

this pretty much sums up the situation accurately:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2013/10/01/republicans-obamacare-shutdown-blame-editorials-debates/2896557/

"This shutdown, the first in 17 years, isn't the result of two parties acting equally irresponsibly. It is the product of an increasingly radicalized Republican Party, controlled by a disaffected base that demands legislative hostage-taking in an effort to get what it has not been able to attain by the usual means: winning elections.

Call it the Tea Party shutdown. The group will wear the badge proudly.

Pressed by this uncompromising fringe, Republicans leaders in the House are making demands that are both preposterous and largely unrelated to budgetary matters in return for keeping government running."

Oh, sweet, partisanship has infected our fair message board. This country is going to destroy itself because no one can have a discussion without blaming "the other side."

i am a pretty liberal/leftist person, but come the fuck on, you have to be blind to not see the far right holding the govt hostage over funding a law that was declared legal by the supreme court of the united states!  They will not vote for a budget that funds ACA.  They dont care about anything BUT DEFUNDING ACA.  This is CLEARLY "the other sides" fault.