The Beer Thread

Bumping this thread for some input, after a recent visit to a sushi spot....I've rekindled my love for Ginger. In turns I was wondering what input you guys would have it I happened to home-brew type of Ginger IPA beer? (I use to home-brew a couple years ago and name all of them after Hipster-esque things :P)

Does it sound nasty, or strangely tasty to try?

Check out Left Hand "Good JuJu.." It's an ipa brewed with freshly juiced ginger. There's a video somewhere of them juicing the ginger and they use a shit ton of it (although it's for a 55bbl batch).

Bumping this thread for some input, after a recent visit to a sushi spot....I've rekindled my love for Ginger. In turns I was wondering what input you guys would have it I happened to home-brew type of Ginger IPA beer? (I use to home-brew a couple years ago and name all of them after Hipster-esque things :P)

Does it sound nasty, or strangely tasty to try?

I've used ginger a couple of times when brewing. Both were additions in the secondary (ginger clove cider and a chai stout). For the cider, I just peeled it and zested about 6 inches and just threw it in the fermenter (2.5 gal). I let it sit for about a week. It had a pretty intense flavor right away. I opened a bottle over Christmas (2 years old) and it aged well. For the stout, I added all my spices and 11 inches of chopped ginger in a pot with about 1 quart of water and boiled for 20 minutes to marry the flavors. I let it cool and then added it to the secondary for a week (5 gal) before I kegged it. If you want a stronger ginger flavor you may want to add it to the boil.

lCackalackyCan.jpg

gotta come to durham; you can't get away from this stuff around here haha.

I gotta say the first time they brewed it, it was awesome. HUGE ginger bite that dominated almost everything. But since then they've kinda dumbed it down (er, made it more balanced). Either way, big ginger is the way to go ;)

Homebrew wise I recommend ginger in the secondary. You don't lose a lot of the aroma like you would if it goes into the boil and lives through primary fermentation. Also, you can ginger to taste, so you don't have to worry about over/under flavoring your beer.

I'm super excited, I finally rebrewed my soured bbl-aged Gose again yesterday. 

Didn't do 55 gallons like the first time 3 years ago, but I did have isolates of my Saccharomyces (wyeast kolsch), lactobacillus, and pediococcus that came from the barrel, so I can pitch those as well as some lightly toasted oak cubes. And I have 5 gallons non-soured this time, so something to drink in the meantime ;)

I'm all for a bold ginger taste, I may stop over at the bootlegger shop after classes today and grab some supplies......need to find another carboy since my dad accidentally tipped over my carboy full of hefewizen while I was gone ahahah

....my hallway never smelt better :P

Dropped one of my 6.5 gallon carboys while rinsing it out in my garage before wort transfer. Stupid slippery Star San. Now my batch is fermenting in my old plastic ale pail.. Nothing against plastic buckets but.. They suck. Luckily my gravity sample last night was PHENOMENAL. time for dry hopping in secondary..

Dropped one of my 6.5 gallon carboys while rinsing it out in my garage before wort transfer. Stupid slippery Star San. Now my batch is fermenting in my old plastic ale pail.. Nothing against plastic buckets but.. They suck. Luckily my gravity sample last night was PHENOMENAL. time for dry hopping in secondary..

Honestly, I've used everything from from  buckets to conicals, and carboys are by far the worst. Yeah, you can watch it, that's about the only benefit. The opening is small and annoying, and unless you're doing something that needs to age for an extended period of time, the oxygen permeability of buckets is almost nil when compared to carboys. Keep in mind, too, that contact with oxygen isn't ALWAYS a bad thing. It's happening while beer sits in barrels and the wood swells/contracts.

I only keep two glass carboys, for extended souring, but other than that it's buckets and (sadly) a couple better bottles all the way. And this is a very small benefit, but buckets are stackable, so space-saving =D

So a friend gave me a bottle of the Bourbon County Proprieters. Anybody drank one of these yet? Is it all hype??

fucking incredible. you can see coconut flakes floating around in the beer. i bought one $100ppd off craigslist and wish i got two now to age one. 

the main ingredient for proprietors will change every year, so it wont be coconut next year. 

you can see coconut flakes floating around in the beer. 

I don't know if thats a good thing, haha.

but good to know it's not just all hype. Coconut is a tough nut to crack when it comes to brewing, so good on (the Chicago) Goose Island for doing it up right. 

(JUST realized that awful pun. I'm leaving it.)

Also, i just jacked this pic from facebook, but I'm pretty excited to get a bottle or two this weekend. Looks like some made it through release day last saturday in asheville, and they made their way to the Triangle.

1656300_236521666471741_1855835178_n.jpg

Those bottles right there beat out Russian River AND Crooked Stave this year at GABF in the Brett Category, bringing back the gold to NC,  which is just insane to me.

Honestly, I've used everything from from  buckets to conicals, and carboys are by far the worst. Yeah, you can watch it, that's about the only benefit. The opening is small and annoying, and unless you're doing something that needs to age for an extended period of time, the oxygen permeability of buckets is almost nil when compared to carboys. Keep in mind, too, that contact with oxygen isn't ALWAYS a bad thing. It's happening while beer sits in barrels and the wood swells/contracts.

I only keep two glass carboys, for extended souring, but other than that it's buckets and (sadly) a couple better bottles all the way. And this is a very small benefit, but buckets are stackable, so space-saving =D

To each his own I suppose. I don't like how easily they can scratch over time upping the chances of infection, I don't like how the lids warp over time (especially if you brew a lot of bigger beers with highly active fermentation), and I do generally bulk age a lot of my bigger beers. The small opening doesn't really bother me either because I have an army of carboy caps that make blowoff tubes pretty simple. Stackability isn't really an issue for me either as I ferment most of my beers in an old chest freezer that can hold 4 comfortably and keeps the temp within 2 degrees +/- my target temp.

On another note, it is Goose Island "migration week" down here in GA and its awesome. I hung out with a crew from Goose Island last night at a bar including one of their brewers and they just kept buying rounds. It was pretty cool. 

My buddy comes back from college this week for spring break and he's hell bent on finding Pliny the Elder with me in Philly.  Definitely going to be a tough find.  Don't remember ever seeing it in the stores I frequent.

EDIT:  There's a Russian River event going on, they have the following on tap:

FRONT BAR

Russian River Pliny The Younger (CA)  This is the original Triple IPA,  and this one was not a mistake.  Vinnie just wanted to see how far he could push the envelope.  10.5%abv 

Russian River Pliney The Elder (CA)  This is the original Double IPA, made by mistake, natch.  More hops balanced by bigger malt.  Aromas of grapefruit dominate.  Finishes surprisingly dry, yet not too bitter.  8%abv   

Russian River Consecration (CA)   Strong brown ale aged in a cabernet sauvignon barrel (Silver Oak) for six months with fresh currants  The wine, oak and currants are well integrated in this stunning beer. 10.5%abv    

Russian River Damnation (CA)  Vinnie’s take on a Belgian strong blonde ale obviously influenced by Duvel.  Great aromas of banana and pear.  Medium body with flavors of pale roasted malt and spice from the hops.  Lots of hops in the finish give it a nice bitterness and a crisp, dry finish.  7.75%abv   

B. United Zymatore: (Austria) Brauerei Hofstetten Granit Bock aged in Pinot Noir / Whisky / Red Zinfadel barrels.  This is a “Stein” beer, where they heat blocks of granite until white hot and add to the wort.  This caramelizes much of the sugar present.  

Freigeist Salzspeicher Cherry Sauer Porter (Germany) – a blend of a sour German porter and an English-Style porter with fresh sour cherries added.  6%abv  

Tilquin Gueuze draft (Belgium) Pierre Tilquin is Belgium’s newest lambic blender.  Great balance to this oaky, sour Gueuze.  4.5%abv

BACK BAR

Russian River Blind Pig IPA(CA)  Perhaps my favorite West Coast IPA. Solid hop aromas and finish backed up by the perfect balance of malt. 6.1%abv. 

Russian River Supplication (CA)  Brown ale aged in french oak pinot noir barrels for different periods of time.  Vinnie then blends these barrels into this magic elixir.  He adds fresh sour cherries and three “wild” yeast strains: brett, lacto & pedio  I get malt, oak, wine, cherries, and a subtle pineapple note from the brett. 7.2%abv.   

Russian River Temptation (CA)   Blond Ale aged in french oak chardonnay barrels for twelve months.  Vinnie adds his house strain of brettanomyces that adds a sour component and a bit of fruitiness.  7.2.5%abv      

Allagash PNC Broken Elevator (Maine) I made this with Jason Perkins and my PNC mates from Falling Rock in Denver, Toronado in San Francisco, and Brouwer's Café in  Seattle 

DeMolen Cease & Desist (Netherlands). It’s a Russian Imperial Stout with a ton of dark roasted malt.  Super full body.  Dark as a moonless night.  Notes of bittersweet chocolate & dark fruit.  This is oh so very good. 10% abv 

DeMolen Hel & Verdoemenis  (Netherlands) made w/english brown specialty malt & black malt.  Imperial Stout.  Roasty & complex.  10%abv 

De Molen Hemel & Aarde  (Netherlands). (Heaven & Earth)  Imperial Stout made with peated malt from Bruichladdish distillery.  Huge peat aroma with flavor notes of licorice and bittersweet chocolate.  10% abv  

Freigeist / Trois Dames Smuggler’s Gose (Germany/Switzerland) – collaboration to produce a Gose.  Wheat beer with salt, herbs & lactic acid. 5%abv 

Hof Ten Dormaal Project 2013  Strong Blonde Ale  (Belgium)

HTD Project #7  Aged in a Bruichladdich barrel

HTD Project #8  Aged in Port Charlotte Whisky barrel

HTD Project #5  Only 26 kegs of this rariety.  Aged in a Moscatel barrel

I am smitten...

Today was excellent.  Bar was jammed, but we got the Younger and the Elder.  $15 for a 6 ounce of the Younger was kinda crazy, but 100% of the proceeds went to charity.  Didn't get to try any of the others on tap, wish I could've but it was so packed it was difficult to get a beer.  Later on we went to a brewpub called The Nodding Head, which had some good beers, including a beer they call Lava with lavender and vanilla.  That was a standout of the flight we got, along with their Milk Stout.