Mogwai - Rave Tapes

I had ordered the Loser Edition which arrived today and is Green as noted previously.  My wife ordered me the Box Set and it has not shipped yet or at least I haven't seen any tracking info come across for it yet.  Anyone else by chance order it and get tracking or is that one likely shipping later?

Do you think SubPOP calls their vinyl variants "loser edition" because anyone that buys them is a Loser.. 

picked up mogwai, had the choice and went with the Loser edition (without 7")... anways, its super lightweight vinyl, bowled! and noisey as fu#k..

I know my expectations should be lowered when I am buying coloured vinyl or picture discs but these loser editions take the cake on weakness meter.

Rave tapes is good.. SIde A is really strong, especially tracks 2 and 3 (the spoke word one is a waste of time and the first track is a nice intro but never really pops).

Side B is a drag for he most part (and where the noisey pressing really starts to shine, since it has some of the quieter moments).. I find Side B to be very underwhelming for the most part.

I love the album, as for the loser edition vinyl itself:  

I'd call it standard weight, probably ~140g.  I own lighter records, but a recent trend seems to be toward heavier weights.  Mine is very slightly bowed as well, but plays fine.  My copy is very clean and the sound quality is really nice. No surface noise or pops.  I have nothing to complain about.  did you try cleaning yours?

Any idea what the Loser edition is out of?

From what I gather, it's probably similar to Third Man Vault Packages. I think they take pre-orders and just gauge sales. As soon as the rapid sales are done I'm imagining they pick a solid number and press that. The last Sub Pop releases have been "Sold Out" really close to the actually street date so it would make sense that there's no real number in the beginning. Plus, they don't update pressing numbers anymore...

The Postal Service release was like 3000 for the Loser Edition if I remember correctly. It was a high number.

I don't know for sure though. Simply basing it off of assumptions from watching past releases :P

Translucent.  It is nice.

I guess I just keep tricking myself into coloured variants when I would truly appreciate a clean black copy more.

I love the album, as for the loser edition vinyl itself:  

I'd call it standard weight, probably ~140g.  I own lighter records, but a recent trend seems to be toward heavier weights.  Mine is very slightly bowed as well, but plays fine.  My copy is very clean and the sound quality is really nice. No surface noise or pops.  I have nothing to complain about.  did you try cleaning yours?

I did clean it, which was an improvement but my judgements are based on a post clean spin.  The real bummer is the ticking through track 3 side b.  The song mostly drowns it out once it gets going. 

Translucent.  It is nice.

I guess I just keep tricking myself into coloured variants when I would truly appreciate a clean black copy more.

I did clean it, which was an improvement but my judgements are based on a post clean spin.  The real bummer is the ticking through track 3 side b.  The song mostly drowns it out once it gets going. 

I'd almost always have a nice clean black copy.  I went with the loser edition for this record to snag that extra 7".  Bummer you have some noise on your copy.  Like I said, mine was very clean & clear.  Hopefully others don't have issues.

I think Blues Hour is one of my new favorite Mogwai songs. I'm a sucker for Stuart singing. I don't think he could sound any more like Stephen from Codeine but I love it.

Dude with surface noise must either have a dirty needle, a bad copy, or is just super anal. Just got the loser edition in and it sounds flawless. Almost missed the 7" on the other side of the cardboard stiffener at first, though. Anyone who missed out should definitely pick this up from Deathwish.

Dude with surface noise must either have a dirty needle, a bad copy, or is just super anal. Just got the loser edition in and it sounds flawless. Almost missed the 7" on the other side of the cardboard stiffener at first, though. Anyone who missed out should definitely pick this up from Deathwish.

It's not horrible, its just not great.  Maybe I am super anal but I do tend to expect more from my records.  Most of the noise was on Side B and the songs drown it out once they get going.  the more "hi fi" of the two tends to really show off any pressing problems/etc.

Its not so bad that I would return it, just wish some companies would put a bit more into their pressings.

I'm so torn on whether to order a box set version after already receiving the regular loser edition I preordered a while ago. I really like this album, and am probably going to be bummed when they sell out since I've got the young team and hardcore sets already. Decisions, decisions...