ps4 launch

There's tens of millions of consoles sold. Going to be defects on all of them occasionally.

I was just saying that the red ring of death was the most publicized issue (fairly confident saying that). True defect rates (for either generation), who knows. That's why I would choose a console based on functionality, unless one of them develops a serious, newsworthy quality issue.

My point was just that it's not about how many improvements you make, but the total quality of the console. Number of OS overhauls is meaningless when comparing systems. It's about the quality of the system. Look at how people have reacted to Windows throughout the years -- some of them were well received (95, xp, 7) and some were disliked or hated (vista, arguably 8). If it works, don't mess with it (too much).

Oh of course but but now we're at the end of this cycle, it'd be hard to argue that Sony's seven year old OS is better than what MS have on the current xbox. It was super slick and stylish to start with and i far preferred it to MS at that point but it really has aged, it's poor in comparison now and it's definitely suffered for the lack of real updates in that time.

Like what?

I'm not trying to give you a hard time. Just wondering. I'm loyal to Sony so wondering what I might be missing on the other side.

It's just so far behind, don't get me wrong, it was way better than microsoft's to start with. But the xbox menu system is far slicker, it's easier to use, customisable and integrates with their cloud storage well. I'm definitely not an MS fanboy, i don't own a single other MS product but as someone who has a fair bit of knowledge around design and UX, MS has shit on Sony in that respect towards the end of this cycle.

I don't think streaming games is going to cost anything. It's going to use the PS3 games in your PSN library, I think, and eventually be able to use the Gaikai Cloud Servers to stream them to your PS4 in a similar fashion as remote play with the Vita works. I'm just keeping my PS3. Going to pick my PS4 up before work, since I work at the mall. So stoked.

I don't think streaming games is going to cost anything. It's going to use the PS3 games in your PSN library, I think, and eventually be able to use the Gaikai Cloud Servers to stream them to your PS4 in a similar fashion as remote play with the Vita works. I'm just keeping my PS3. Going to pick my PS4 up before work, since I work at the mall. So stoked.

I'd keep mine too, nice to have another bluray player/HDD in the bedroom you can stream content to ala Plex.

I didn't say that Sony got it wrong last time, just that i didn't feel like they were committed to improving it throughout the console's lifespan.

Let's be honest, the updates to the 360 weren't anything great. They bogged the system down tremendously and made content a pain to locate, especially compared to the original/simple 'blade' layout it launched with.

Let's be honest, the updates to the 360 weren't anything great. They bogged the system down tremendously and made content a pain to locate, especially compared to the original/simple 'blade' layout it launched with.

I liked it! Totally personal of course, i find the PS one to be outdated now. My point - which seems to have been totally lost - was that i didn't feel like Sony made any effort to improve the interface or experience much at all in seven years, i don't expect it to be the same this time round but it does put me off buying the console straight away, i'd like to see what they pull out the bag over the next year or so.

Picked my PS4 up from target this morning. 24 total with 8 already called for with preorders, I was 10th in line with 16 to spare at 6am for an 8am opening. By the time it opened it was at least 50 deep despite people being told there were no more available, even the people there not for games seemed to hope more would magically show,up. Picked up Killzone, Battlefield and COD. Haven't set it up yet, but it will be done tomorrow.

Psn is: Killswitchkid

Feel free to add me

remote play with the ps vita is incredible. holy shit.

it syncs up perfectly and looks damn good! my wife can watch tv (or a blu ray on the ps3) on a different input and i can still play ps4 games through my vita--probably won't happen much but still a pretty cool option. 

such a cool function!