ps4 launch

Just finished Ghosts...not sure what all the MW2 ending hubub was about. I will probably use my 30 day PS+ trial soon so I will check out Contrast, plus that Geometry Wars type game.

i'm still playing the COD campaign. pretty close to the end, then its on to some madden and killzone. i really want to play COD online but i don't have the money for ps plus right now so i've gotta be smart about my trials. i have 2 one week trials from games and 1 month haha. going to hold off until the holidays.

Did play station switch to a system where you have to buy a subscription to play online? If so, lame.

Yeah. They've said though that the plan is to invest it back into the service. Of course, what else are they going to say? But they do provide a bunch of free games and all that jazz. I haven't really explored it yet personally.

Graphics look pretty good, not mindblowing, but an improvement nonetheless.

As far as bad systems, if people knew anything about manufacturing, you would know that there will always be defective units at launch. Always. The company does everything they can to reduce those numbers, but the reality is that bad units will get shipped and people will have to deal with them. It is part of the risk of getting in on day one.

The same will happen with the Xbox, and people will whine and cry and make a big deal out if it. What is it, like 5% of systems? More? Less?

not backwards compatible...have to subscribe for online play, still sounds more appealing than than XB1. i'll admit i like the idea of voice / motion controlling the xb1, as an owner of both 360 and ps3, i've found far more enjoyment out of my ps3.

even tho most of which came from the free online features.

i guess i'm being cheap and hypocritical here. but i'm still more interested in a ps4 right now.

i will probably move my ps3 to my bedroom if i upgrade.

I don't know at ton about consoles specifically but I have a PhD in industrial engineering. I'd be shocked if 1% of consoles were defective at shipping.

5% might be a reasonable number over the normal product life (5-8 years).

Yeah, I was leaning toward 1% based on what I have seen at work, but went with 5% for "believeability".

I read somewhere on VLV it was like 0.4% or something.

I'm not a Sony fanboy by any means, but if you just simply look at the specs of each system side-by-side it's really not a close race. The 8GB of DDR3 in XBOX1 compared to the 8GB of GDDR5 in PS4 is really the only spec that matters... Microsoft is still using last generation RAM while Sony is using top of the line RAM. Yes, Microsoft is adding the eSRAM to try and help it keep up with bandwidth needs but it's still an obvious bow out to Sony in the graphics game. Which is exactly why Microsoft decided to sell their console as a complete media HUB for all your entertainment needs, and not as a powerful gaming machine as Sony is.

Also, one of the only things that makes XBL better than PSN was how easy it was to develop games for the 360 because they were using AMD GPU opposed to the proprietary one that Sony used. So now that dev's don't have to use two separate builds of games for each console we will be seeing a shit ton more games that used to be XBL exclusives popping up on the PS4 PSN.