PO NOW: The Hotel Year (The Hotelier) - Home, Like No Place Is There

They likely see that this has demand, so they're raising the price because they can make more off of it!  I mean, just a guess, but likely the actual reason, unfortunately for us.

Sucks how expensive vinyl is becoming in general.

Yeah, cause after six years of Will and I losing money and taking zero dollars from this label, we finally decided that an extra $500 a month is going to tip the scales in our favor!  Nevermind the fact that the cost of production, manufacturing and materials has continued to rise each year, yet we've kept the price of our LPs at $12 (plus $4 flat rate shipping) since Tiny Engines' inception.  Nevermind that we always go the extra mile with cool packaging (read about it!) or that our release schedule is the busiest it has ever been.

Here's a little secret about 90% of independent labels: they don't make money.  The people who run them don't make money.   If they're lucky, they're barely breaking even and future releases are hanging by a thread of uncertainty.  IF THEY'RE LUCKY!

I say all this not as a rant, but just as a friendly reminder that if you've ever bought a record from an independent label or band, your money isn't lining anyone's proverbial pockets.  No, you're helping to keep these labels alive, which is an awesome thing.  We're blessed to have worked with awesome outfits like The Hotelier, Dikembe, Restorations and Tigers Jaw because those bands keep us afloat and allow us to release awesome records from other smaller, not-as-well-known-but-equally-awesome groups like Cayetana, It Looks Sad, Little Big League, Somos and so on and so forth.

Just remember this: if an independent label raises its prices by a couple bucks, it's probably because they need to.  Vinyl is expensive because it's expensive to manufacture.  Also, we're talking about $14.  This is not an insane price for an LP.

Yeah, cause after six years of Will and I losing money and taking zero dollars from this label, we finally decided that an extra $500 a month is going to tip the scales in our favor!  Nevermind the fact that the cost of production, manufacturing and materials has continued to rise each year, yet we've kept the price of our LPs at $12 (plus $4 flat rate shipping) since Tiny Engines' inception.  Nevermind that we always go the extra mile with cool packaging (read about it!) or that our release schedule is the busiest it has ever been.

Here's a little secret about 90% of independent labels: they don't make money.  The people who run them don't make money.   If they're lucky, they're barely breaking even and future releases are hanging by a thread of uncertainty.  IF THEY'RE LUCKY!

I say all this not as a rant, but just as a friendly reminder that if you've ever bought a record from an independent label or band, your money isn't lining anyone's proverbial pockets.  No, you're helping to keep these labels alive, which is an awesome thing.  We're blessed to have worked with awesome outfits like The Hotelier, Dikembe, Restorations and Tigers Jaw because those bands keep us afloat and allow us to release awesome records from other smaller, not-as-well-known-but-equally-awesome groups like Cayetana, It Looks Sad, Little Big League, Somos and so on and so forth.

Just remember this: if an independent label raises its prices by a couple bucks, it's probably because they need to.  Vinyl is expensive because it's expensive to manufacture.  Also, we're talking about $14.  This is not an insane price for an LP.

Hey man, I apologize for making that comment.  I definitely didn't mean to complain, and honestly when I was thinking about the pricing and complaining about pricing in any sort, I mainly was (in my head) referring to the way Hot Topic has done business, as well as many other labels that have been charging $18-25 for a fucking single LP in recent timeframes.  I clearly was wrong for commenting on something like that without knowing my stuff beforehand and kind of somewhat talking out of my ass, but I was mostly referring to other labels that have been charging those ridiculous prices.

In reality, I would have paid $12, $14, $20, or even $30 for this record.  I love it, it gets better with every listen to me.  I really wasn't complaining too much about this release being priced badly, because obviously, as you even stated, $14 isn't a bad price at all for an LP, and honestly should be standard for a single LP.  I would assume, however, that I'm not completely wrong--- if The Hotelier didn't release such a popular record and the demand wasn't high for it, the price wouldn't be increasing.  I suppose on the flipside it also wouldn't be going onto a third press.  Regardless, I apologize for making the comment I made, as it really didn't pertain to how your label goes about business as much as other labels and distribution services go about theirs.

Believe me, I think the people on this website would prefer to continue watching your label release solid record after record, so if that means raising prices slightly, I suppose we can't complain (although obviously we still will, because that's just how the vinyl community is sometimes!)

But really, again, I do apologize for making the comment I made.  I wasn't thinking too much going into it, and I think it was completely understandable for you to defend yourself, and hopefully you won't have to do it moving forward as a result of this if other records end up rising a tiny bit in price as well.

I, personally, could never run my own label.  I have a steady, reliable full-time job, and I regularly lose sleep over money flow/how ends are going to meet.  I commend you guys for doing this labor of love.  Not to mention the countless, thankless volunteer hours you put in.  

I, personally, could never run my own label.  I have a steady, reliable full-time job, and I regularly lose sleep over money flow/how ends are going to meet.  I commend you guys for doing this labor of love.  Not to mention the countless, thankless volunteer hours you put in.  

Seriously! So much respect for those dudes. 

Also I love that this album has so many pressings and variants. These guys deserve it and everyone needs to have a copy of this. 

I'm all for paying a few extra dollars if it means making your guys' lives and managing the label a bit easier. I'm not knowledgeable at all when it comes to running labels, but I didn't know that you guys weren't making any money at all/were losing money on it. I knew that labels didn't make much at all, but I never thought it was that bad.

Hey man, I apologize for making that comment.  I definitely didn't mean to complain, and honestly when I was thinking about the pricing and complaining about pricing in any sort, I mainly was (in my head) referring to the way Hot Topic has done business, as well as many other labels that have been charging $18-25 for a fucking single LP in recent timeframes.  I clearly was wrong for commenting on something like that without knowing my stuff beforehand and kind of somewhat talking out of my ass, but I was mostly referring to other labels that have been charging those ridiculous prices.

In reality, I would have paid $12, $14, $20, or even $30 for this record.  I love it, it gets better with every listen to me.  I really wasn't complaining too much about this release being priced badly, because obviously, as you even stated, $14 isn't a bad price at all for an LP, and honestly should be standard for a single LP.  I would assume, however, that I'm not completely wrong--- if The Hotelier didn't release such a popular record and the demand wasn't high for it, the price wouldn't be increasing.  I suppose on the flipside it also wouldn't be going onto a third press.  Regardless, I apologize for making the comment I made, as it really didn't pertain to how your label goes about business as much as other labels and distribution services go about theirs.

Believe me, I think the people on this website would prefer to continue watching your label release solid record after record, so if that means raising prices slightly, I suppose we can't complain (although obviously we still will, because that's just how the vinyl community is sometimes!)

But really, again, I do apologize for making the comment I made.  I wasn't thinking too much going into it, and I think it was completely understandable for you to defend yourself, and hopefully you won't have to do it moving forward as a result of this if other records end up rising a tiny bit in price as well.

No worries!  About halfway through writing that, I started to wonder if I was being too harsh.  But I wasn't mad at all, and that's why I said it wasn't really a rant.  Rather, I was hoping to provide a little insight as to what most independent labels have to deal with when it comes to finances, resources and basically devoting a huge chunk of personal time for nothing but self-satisfaction in exchange.

I think that people assume certain things about labels like Tiny Engines.  Just because we've been around for six years and nearly 40 releases doesn't mean that we've made any money.  All it means is that we've been able to scrape by and continue to release some amazing records.  Believe me when I say that Will and I have put in thousands upon thousands of man hours into working this label and we've literally been paid nothing. And we're probably one of the more successful smaller independent labels out there!  Just imagine what other labels have to deal with!

I'm definitely not complaining.  I love doing what I do ... and Tiny Engines started out as a hobby anyway.  Now it's a full-time job that pays like a hobby.

I totally agree that once you get into the $20+ range for an LP, you're entering into some weird territory.  However, the price increase for us has nothing to do with The Hotelier record.  It's going to be for all new LPs because that's what needs to be done for us to survive and continue releasing records.  In fact, the new Dikembe LP is $15, but it's also gatefold packaging and we did two different starburst variants.  Shit is expensive.

Some of the back catalog will probably remain at $12.  And I don't foresee any price increase for 7-inches either.  And don't forget that if you live in the US, our shipping rate is $4, no matter how many records you order.

Yeah, cause after six years of Will and I losing money and taking zero dollars...

Not quoting the entire thing as to preserve space on the page, but AMEN.

Earlier this year when we got our tax return I had a wild idea that I wanted to release an artist's ep as a 7". It wasn't something I would like to do on a regular basis, but my love for the music, and the medium really had me seriously looking to pursue this one.

Needless to say after pricing things out at multiple places I became very discouraged and decided it was just not a good time. That's not to say I still wouldn't like to do it, it's just going to be awhile before I can.

I can't give labels like Tiny Engines (especially TE) enough praise. It's got to be tough running a small label. You guys are the absolute best people to deal with, no to mention having my personal favorite stable of artists. Anyone putting out music from Signals Midwest and Look Mexico, along with Somos, Save Ends, and many others...is #1 in my book.

</endasskissing>

Not quoting the entire thing as to preserve space on the page, but AMEN.

Earlier this year when we got our tax return I had a wild idea that I wanted to release an artist's ep as a 7". It wasn't something I would like to do on a regular basis, but my love for the music, and the medium really had me seriously looking to pursue this one.

Needless to say after pricing things out at multiple places I became very discouraged and decided it was just not a good time. That's not to say I still wouldn't like to do it, it's just going to be awhile before I can.

I can't give labels like Tiny Engines (especially TE) enough praise. It's got to be tough running a small label. You guys are the absolute best people to deal with, no to mention having my personal favorite stable of artists. Anyone putting out music from Signals Midwest and Look Mexico, along with Somos, Save Ends, and many others...is #1 in my book.

</endasskissing>

Thanks!  We definitely appreciate all the support.  All I can say is that we're extremely lucky to have been given the opportunity to work with some truly great bands.  What it all boils down to is that we do this because we're passionate about the music. Don't get me wrong though ... it would be nice if Tiny Engines eventually made enough money to become our full-time job!  I mean, isn't that kinda the dream of everyone who has ever started an independent label?

Second pressing Maroon.

uhjSpeL.png

this looks outstanding

Don't know why there's a price increase. Kind of lame, but it's just a couple of bucks.

Probably gonna get the blue w/ black & white starburst, but the forest green sounds so tempting.

ordered this copy, I'm curious how it's going to turn out. I'm very jealous of the maroon variant.